Beta of upcoming 7.0.2 bug fix update

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Alex

Beta of upcoming 7.0.2 bug fix update

Post by Alex » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:32 pm

Hi folks,

there is a beta version of the upcoming 7.0.2 bug fix available.
The current beta, Live 7.02b2, is free for every Live 7 customer and will expire on the 19th January.

http://www.ableton.com/_common/download ... 2b2_en.zip
http://www.ableton.com/_common/download ... 2b2_en.dmg

Please send your beta related feedback to beta@ableton.com or use the Bugs and Problems section of the forum.
Please keep in mind that it is helpful to know if a certain bug or problem you run into already exists in Live 7.0,1.

Kind Regards
/Alex

Changes from Live 7.0.1 to Live 7.02b2

Improvements

Updated English Manual.

Several updated or corrected info texts.

Smaller button for automation lanes.

Include the track index only in automatic names, but not in user names (also not in the routing choosers). To include the index manually, you have to prefix the custom name with one or multiple ‘#’ characters.

Support for Propellerheads Recycle 1 files (.rcy).

Info texts are not only displayed on mouse over but also when a corresponding object (clip, track, parameter,...) is selected.

The current velocity value when creating a MIDI note is kept globally.
Changing the velocity of the MIDI keyboard also updates the current velocity value.

Update bitmaps for fold buttons.

MIDI Surface Controller support for Faderfox LV1, LX1, LV2, LX2, LC2 & LD2.

There is a ‘PreviewAlwaysSyncedToSong’ entry you can use in the Options.txt file. With that option, Live does not use heuristics to determine the clip tempo when song is not running for pre-listening in the browser.

On Windows, MME is now used as the default instead of the DirectMusic for MIDI ports that provide both types. We are still working on a solution for the drop-out problems some users experienced when using a Remote SL-based MIDI controller surface with a DirectMusic port. If you have that problem, we currently recommend to use MME instead of DirectMusic.

Drum Rack Support for Korg KONTROL49 & microKONTROL.

Bug fixes

The save button of a Rack could be still highlighted after canceling a previous preset save operation.

In an external device, changing the latency value would not work properly after a loading a Live Set.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78353

Freezing of tracks containing Analog, Electric or Tension would not work properly.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78263

Pads of a Drum Rack would be renamed to their default name after doing Undo and Redo operations.

There could be graphical artifacts after doing a ‘Sort chains’ operation in the inline rack mixer.

Live could crash when selecting a folder below the system VST folder as the custom VST folder.

On Windows and Mac OS X with Intel-Macs, video exporting with 24 or 32 bit could result in distorted audio.

When using a clip with the 1.1.1 marker somewhere within the clip, it would not be possible to draw any linked clip envelope before the 1.1.1 clip start marker.

Canceling a real time rendering with “Create analysis file” enabled would crash Live.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78701

Annotations for Macros would not be saved with preset.

A template set containing an unfolded inline Rack mixer would crash Live when starting up.

MIDI controller support for Drum Racks would not work properly when loading a Live set containing a Drum Rack.

Dragging nested instruments which have associated automation lanes into a new track would not remove the lanes from the previous track.

Resizing of Arrangement tracks would not always work properly.

Under certain conditions, zooming deep into an audio file in Simpler or Sampler could result in an infinitive loop.

On Mac OS X, the custom window of certain VST plug-ins could be too big when opening for the first time. That would happen, for example, with the Triple Cheese VST plug-in from Urs.

There could be audio artifacts when using the Impulse with the stretch mode ‘A’.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76475

Selecting Arrangement tracks via keyboard arrow keys would not always keep the selected track visible.

Under certain conditions, refreeze of clips would not work properly.

When setting the language to Spanish, several lesson links would not work.

On Mac OS X, the MIDI sync output delay would not work properly.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78305

Pre-listen of frozen Live clips would not work properly in Live’s Browser.

Soloing a track with a virtual instrument would not mute other tracks when playing the virtual instrument via the External Instrument device.

Replacing a Drum Rack could set Macro values to the values of the Macros from the previous Rack.

An envelope modulation in a dummy clip would not always terminate when the clip is stopped.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78440

Routings for the track output of the first track would go to None after saving and re-opening a Live Set.

When previewing a Live clip in ReWire slave mode, the host tempo would be set to the Live clip’s tempo for the duration of the preview, and to 120 after the preview is finished.

A running Session clip of an armed track would be stopped when switching global record on.

Volume fader in Session View always has “Go Default” enabled, even if it is at default already.

The maximal value for the filter cutoff in the Simpler would be smaller than necessary.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80127

Analog, Electric or Tension could miss MIDI notes when running Live as Rewire slave.

The “Add lane for each automated ...” command would not work properly after a recording.

Editing a MIDI clip in the MIDI editor would not be possible via keyboard or shortcuts.

On Windows, audio drop outs can appear when using a Remote SL based MIDI controller on an MME MIDI port. That problem could still exist for DirectMusic ports. For this reason, we recommend to use MME instead of DirectMusic.

New recorded samples would not be copied via copy-on-drag.

A single chain Drum Rack nested in another Drum Rack would not show its devices without showing the chain list.

Under certain conditions, the voice management of the Simpler and Sampler would not work properly on multi-core machines.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79681

Under certain conditions, the priming of samples would not work properly when the link switch was enabled.

Changing the plug-in buffer size could result in incorrect delay compensation.

Dragging devices from one Rack to another would not always work properly depending on which Rack is currently selected.

Clicking a control in a Rack would not turn off the hotswap mode even though the Browser has lost focus.

Changing the temporary folder in Live’s preferences would evoke a confusing message box.

Under certain conditions, when using the Sampler with glide enabled, Live could crash when the first note plays 2 samples but the second one only 1 sample.

Deleting an armed track which is set to no input but which received a signal from another track could crash Live.

Depending on the settings, the Repitch warp mode would not sound as expected from previous versions of Live.

The dialog for keeping or deleting temporary samples would not have a default button and could not be used via keyboard.

Using the back button in the File Manager could result in lost changes.

Choosing ‘Collect and Save’ command would evoke a confusing message box.

On Windows, changing the buffer size of an ASIO audio interface would not notify currently used VST plug-ins about the new size.

On Windows, closing the custom window of a VST plug-in or a video window would not always set the focus to the Live window.

Live could hang on exit if File Manager changes are reviewed for an unsaved Live Set.

Under certain conditions, Live would crash when doing certain actions during a renaming.

It would be possible to delete an inline Rack mixer track even if the parent track is frozen.

Under certain conditions, freezing could result in an audio file with missing ‘tail’.
Last edited by Alex on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

puRe

Re: Beta of upcoming 7.0.2 bug fix update

Post by puRe » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Alex wrote:

Improvements

is this it? :D

eldar

Post by eldar » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:35 pm

not near my DAW, so if anyone could test whether Reaktor text input now works that'd be great!

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:36 pm

Talk about subjective editing :P

No, that's not it. Take a look at the list again ...
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

rozling

Post by rozling » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:40 pm

eldar wrote:not near my DAW, so if anyone could test whether Reaktor text input now works that'd be great!
That was what I was scanning for, too. I won't be able to test this for the next 12 hours... if anyone's testing that I'd be grateful if you could group Reaktor to a rack, assign a macro knob and see if it remembers macro assignments when you drag it back in from the browser.

I presume they would've mentioned it though :|

Timur

Post by Timur » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:55 pm

Alex wrote:On Windows, audio drop outs can appear when using a Remote SL MIDI controller on an MME MIDI output port. That problem could still exist for DirectMusic ports. For this reason, we recommend to use MME instead of DirectMusic. n/a 49538 n/a
Does this only happen when using Novations drivers or does it also happen when using Microsoft standard drivers? Knowing that both do not support native DirectMusic, why would you recommend using DirectMusic with the Remote SL at all, what are the benefits of using the emulated DirectMusic port against MME?
On Windows, audio drop outs can appear when using a Remote SL MIDI controller on an MME MIDI output port. That problem could still exist for DirectMusic ports. For this reason, we recommend to use MME instead of DirectMusic. n/a 49538 n/a
I suspect this to be a typo?! ;)

rishi

Post by rishi » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:17 am

Alex wrote:

I am running Live7.0.1 with 3 faderfoxes.

Can someone please explaing what with update actually means?

Thanks.

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:15 am

Does this only happen when using Novations drivers or does it also happen when using Microsoft standard drivers?
The recommendation is valid for each DirectMusic driver, in first place independent if emulated or not. it is related how MIDI ports are accessed from within Live.
Knowing that both do not support native DirectMusic, why would you recommend using DirectMusic with the Remote SL at all, what are the benefits of using the emulated DirectMusic port against MME?
This might be true for the Remote SL (at its current driver state) but I would be careful with a general answer about which one is better. It seems that sometimes a native MME driver can be worse than an emulated DirectMusic driver which is strange enough. However, it was our mistake to set the DirectMusic as the default, that's for sure. :)
I suspect this to be a typo?! Wink
Yep, it was. :)

Timur

Post by Timur » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:56 am

During Beta there have been many fixes of bugs which have not been published via release notes. How is this handled with official update releases? Can we expect all fixes to be published or do we have to test through all reported bugs ourselves to find out if they are fixed? I'm still rather new to Live so I don't know how it was handled in the past, so please bare with me.

In general I would really deeply appreciate an official and thorough list of known issues from Ableton that is being refreshed and published with each update release. This way everyone knows which known problems to avoid in the first place instead of being struck by surprise right in the middle of a gig and having to search through the forums.

For example:

I noticed that the release notes on Plugin buffers only mention these two bugs:

- On Windows, changing the buffer size of an ASIO audio interface would not notify currently used VST plug-ins about the new size.

- Changing the plug-in buffer size could result in incorrect delay compensation.

I do wonder however what about the audible timing problems with different Plugin buffer sizes. Are these fixed, too (maybe by fixing the delay compensation)? Is this an officially acknowledged bug at all after my rather private discussion with Amaury on the forum?

You get the point: put up a list of known and acknowledged bugs and issues for everyone plain to see! Refresh that list periodically or at least often enough so that the same bugs ain't discussed on the forum again and again by user who never heard about it. We don't expect you to do wonders and release bug-free software on the instant, but we do expect to know about any issues that may make our lifes miserable just because no one told us about it! :!:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:00 am

The purpose of beta testing is to find bugs.

If something isn't fixed, report it again or bump the old report.
If something is fixed, confirm it.

If that sounds like too much work, wait for the 7.0.2 official release.

Timur

Post by Timur » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:08 am

Alex wrote:This might be true for the Remote SL (at its current driver state) but I would be careful with a general answer about which one is better. It seems that sometimes a native MME driver can be worse than an emulated DirectMusic driver which is strange enough.

Strange but true, RME claims that for their own hardware that comes only with MME drivers using Emulated DirectMusic in Cubase in conjuction with the "Use System Time" option gives the best timing results. I'm very sceptical about that statement since it sounds more like MME driver-problems to me which the wrapper somehow circumvents. Another possibility could be that the emulation-wrapper that translates between the DirectMusic API and the native MME drivers generally uses fail-save API calls when communicating with the MME drivers and thus translates some of the more exotic combinations the DAW might use when directly communicating with the drivers via WindowsMidi.

Having read that the "Use System Time" option in fact changes to the other of two possible system-clocks and that both the DAW and the drivers ought to use the same clock my guess would be that emulated drivers c just provide a way to get different clocks in line. Knowing that the emulation increases latency by several ms this seems like a less jitter/glitches for more latency trade-off.
However, it was our mistake to set the DirectMusic as the default, that's for sure. :)
Well fortunately some dumb-ass cared to spread the word to all the help-searching people on the forum. :mrgreen:

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:08 am

Timur,

Honestly, I have no idea how that should work.
What you want is basically to make our internal bug list public.

We always announce all fixes we made but very often a certain bug appears with different symptoms. So that means we cannot always can announce each certain bug symptom as fixed because we simply do not know it.
I do wonder however what about the audible timing problems with different Plugin buffer sizes. Are these fixed, too (maybe by fixing the delay compensation)Is this an officially acknowledged bug at all after my rather private discussion with Amaury on the forum?
I cannot say without to ask Amaury who is in holiday at the moment. If you feel you have a bug you should report.

In general how handle bug report, announce problems, fixes, issues and so far is not an easy topic. We appreciate every kind of input but please don't expect fast changes.

Best
/Alex

Timur

Post by Timur » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:52 am

Alex wrote:Timur,

Honestly, I have no idea how that should work.
What you want is basically to make our internal bug list public.
Short answer: Yes! :P

Long answer: If you know about a bug then your customers/users should know about it as well, preferably before wasting their time with it. Everytime a user is hit by a known issue that he does not know about he has to spend time and effort to find out its sources, make sure it's not his own fault, search through all the forum/internet and probably write to support about a bug/problem that is already known by your team anyway.
We always announce all fixes we made but very often a certain bug appears with different symptoms. So that means we cannot always can announce each certain bug symptom as fixed because we simply do not know it.
Ah, good to know. I just needed to make sure that I don't have to test all and everything I ever reported. So unless I don't find a fix in the list I can assume it still to be broken. And sure you cannot announce fixes for symptoms you do not know about, no one with a sane mind would expect you to.
Timur wrote:I do wonder however what about the audible timing problems with different Plugin buffer sizes. Are these fixed, too (maybe by fixing the delay compensation)Is this an officially acknowledged bug at all after my rather private discussion with Amaury on the forum?
I cannot say without to ask Amaury who is in holiday at the moment. If you feel you have a bug you should report.
Well, I did this discussion with an official Ableton representative on the "Bugs & Problems" forum, providing several pages long in-depth informations plus a whole couple of audio-files to demonstrate the issue. Does that qualify as a report? Problem is that like with other issues we still don't know wether this is an acknowledged bug or not, because there is no official bug-list. :roll:
Timur wrote:Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007: So now that I have posted my test-setup, can you make anything out of it? Is this an acknowledged bug?
In future I will report all problems via mails, first asking wether an issue is known already and only after an answer spending time to write in-depth reports. That way I will waste less of my own time and yours. ;)

Gnuus

Post by Gnuus » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:05 am

Alex wrote: MIDI Surface Controller support for Faderfox LV1, LX1, LV2, LX2, LC2 & LD2.
What about the Akai MPD24!!??

maze23a

Post by maze23a » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:29 am

Yes,MPD 24 support ist much requested!!!!!