[awi][bug]Simpler "R"elease affected by other trac

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Timur

[awi][bug]Simpler "R"elease affected by other tracks/effects

Post by Timur » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:45 pm

This is quite a cool bug, because it produces a seemingly random filter effect of ransom sweep length. But I guess we do not want our Simpler Release to be affected by completely unrelated tracks so Ableton should maybe take a look at it.

What happens to be the bug?

If you disable the "R" button on a Simpler the sample will not be cut off once a new note is played, but it can fade out its full release time as long as the set number of voices is not reached. But putting/deleting any plugin onto other tracks/pads (if you use a Drum Rack) or by putting an effect on the same track as the Simpler the sound of this release gets filtered randomly but may return to the original sound after a random length of time. By enabling/re-disabling R or changing the number of voices the sound will immediatly return to its original state.

You can test this your own:

- Drag the "Mallets" preset named "Pling" onto a Midi track.
- Create a Midi clip and draw a single note on C3, shorten the loop length of that clip to only play that single note in a loop. And start the clip.
- Go to the Simpler settings, turn Release all the way up to 60s and disable the R button. You will hear a short modulation which after a few seconds settles into a new sound. (To make that more synthish put a Saturator with Sinus Fold type and enabled Color behind that. By mingling with the settings of the Simpler and Saturator you can produce great ear-deafening noise! :twisted: ).
- Now put any other plugin on another track and see how the sound of the Simpler track starts to modulate. After something between 5 and 60 seconds it will somewhat return to its original state (though I think it remains slightly altered).
- Delete the track again to modulate it again.
- Change the number of voices or enable/re-disable the R button on the original Simpler to return to the original sound.

PS: Geez, I got some synthish and some very screaming noise out of Simpler, there so many nice knobs to turn to completely alter the sound. :D

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:08 pm

The 'r' button stands for retrigger. Not exactly sure what you're talking about, but if things on other tracks are effecting how a simpler plays, that sounds like a problem

Timur

Post by Timur » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:32 am

Ah, yes I just saw that. But it still means the same thing. Retrigger on = no Release time/fade out when new note is triggering. ;)

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:29 am

retrigger means that when you hit a note, and that note is already playing, that it will stop the original voice and start a new one.

as opposed to letting the original note continue.

Maybe that translates to the same thing you're describing.

?

Anyway there is no mystery that a looping note will sound differently with retrigger enabled or disabled..

Let's try to separate that from the real issue, which is that if something on another track is truly effecting this simpler track, that is a problem.

Timur

Post by Timur » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:01 am

Like I said, it only happens when Retrigger is deactivated. I know that it's supposed to sound different (that is the reason why I deactivated it), but it is exactly that "different" sound that gets affected by inserting/removing instruments/effects. It can really be quite nice because of the randomness and filter/modulationesque sound, but I suppose it's still a bug that most people would better like not to happen.

Timur

Post by Timur » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:07 am

Thanks for pointing that confusion about the R button out anyway. :) Maybe you can try to reconstruct this on your computer? I'm still fairly new to Live so I might miss something here!?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:09 am

Unfortunately my music computer is all taken apart in the aftermath of a sewage flood.

:)

So I'm forced to go off memory and theory for now

Timur

Post by Timur » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:11 am

Yeeks, sorry to hear that. Time to get out the acoustic guitar and make a camp fire. :P

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:28 am

sold my guitar..

I have an upright piano which is out of tune, and a thumb piano

and no campfire, but a propane construction heater will do?

Timur

Post by Timur » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:46 pm

It seems that there is even more interaction between instances of Simpler and other tracks. When I have a single instance of Simpler make noise while other tracks are playing samples concurrently and then turn the Simpler track to solo the perceived loudness swells (as in becoming louder and louder) while the peak remains the same. Turning the other tracks back on will abruptly return the Simpler track to lower loudness. I have to investigate a bit further into this, unfortunately I do not own an RMS meter.

Timur

Post by Timur » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:53 pm

I will put up some audio-files to demonstrate the issue as soon as I find time.

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:27 am

hi Timur,

can you please send me a self contained set (as small as possible) demonstrating the misbehavior you described? this would help much.

beside that I'd need your machine specs.

best wishes,
matthias
Matthias Mayrock
ableton development team
mayrock@ableton.com

Timur

Post by Timur » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:20 pm

Email sent! :)

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:12 pm

hi Timur,

this behavior could happen only on multicore machines and will be fixed with the next update. thx for testing.

best wishes,
matthias
Matthias Mayrock
ableton development team
mayrock@ableton.com

Timur

Post by Timur » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:40 am

Thanks alot! No more random modulation for playing around then. ;) :)

Nice holidays!