Problem with Samplers filters in 7.01

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Trancit

Problem with Samplers filters in 7.01

Post by Trancit » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:36 pm

Hello,

can anyone confirm this please:

Load a simple saw sample or anything else with many high frequencies and simply turn on the filter ...

The filter cannot opened completly, also with cutoff complete open (18.5khz) and a little bit resonance cuts it the high frequencies...(LP24 is the worsest) and sorry but this is an absolut no go and makes the sampler for many sounds completly unusable...

Trancit

justin

Re: Problem with Samplers filters in 7.01

Post by justin » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:06 pm

filters inherently have an effect on the sound (altho' this is not always perceivable to the ear).

a lowpass filter will still cut something away, and if its 24 db it's going to cut more steeply than a 12 db filter...

sampler is well designed and is very usable as far as i am concerned. if the filter colours the sound in an undesirable way then turn it off and use eq8 (?)

i cant confirm the behaviour you describe, unless i am missing something and its producing undesirable noise?

j
Trancit wrote:Hello,

can anyone confirm this please:

Load a simple saw sample or anything else with many high frequencies and simply turn on the filter ...

The filter cannot opened completly, also with cutoff complete open (18.5khz) and a little bit resonance cuts it the high frequencies...(LP24 is the worsest) and sorry but this is an absolut no go and makes the sampler for many sounds completly unusable...

Trancit

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Re: Problem with Samplers filters in 7.01

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:26 am

Trancit wrote:also with cutoff complete open (18.5khz)
Well it's not completely open. It's cutting at 18.5 khz - just as you're saying.

-M

Trancit

Post by Trancit » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Sorry guys...

First samplers had this behaviour not in 6.010,
second every synth/sampler should have a cutoff position where the filter doesn't effect the sound and
third no sampler I know has this behaviour.

I cannot believe that anyone is glad to have a sampler in which every sample sounds muffy as you simply turn on the filter with cutoff in "open position".

Trancit

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:32 pm

I'm sorry that you perceive this as bullshit.

I'm just saying that if a filter starts cutting at 18.5 khz it gonna cut frequencies above that. Maybe it would be cool to have a filter with the highest setting at 96 khz. It still wouldn't be completely open - but it would cut frequencies that most people don't hear anyway.

I understand that you see the need of having a filter that you could switch on and off without affecting the sound. But it's not like it's false advertising. It says it starts cutting at 18.5 khz. And that's what it does. No bug. Design. I guess.

Other solutions? Take it to the feature request section.

-M

drakeyboy

Post by drakeyboy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:49 pm

no no, trancit is right.

an open filter should not cut below 20khz.

and most importantly if this it was not happening in 6 then it shouldn't happen in 7

justin

Post by justin » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:18 pm

but u can turn the filter off and bypass it completely!

that IS how sampler works.

and to reiterate - whatever - filter ur using will have an impact on the sound even if it is still open (cutoff=20khz). there is nothing that can be done to avoid this.
Trancit wrote:Sorry guys...

First samplers had this behaviour not in 6.010,
second every synth/sampler should have a cutoff position where the filter doesn't effect the sound and
third no sampler I know has this behaviour.

I cannot believe that anyone is glad to have a sampler in which every sample sounds muffy as you simply turn on the filter with cutoff in "open position".

Trancit

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:21 pm

hi Trancit,

thank you very much for your report, there was a bug introduced in Live 7 that reduces Sampler's max cutoff frequency internally to the 1/4 of the samplerate causing the filter to cut at about 10kHz when driven with a samplerate of 44.1kHz.

this will be fixed with the next bugfix release, I'm sorry for that.

best wishes,
matthias
Matthias Mayrock
ableton development team
mayrock@ableton.com

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:39 am

How about that?

I stand (semi) corrected. :wink: 8O

-M

justin

Post by justin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:57 am

humble pie indeed...
Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:How about that?

I stand (semi) corrected. :wink: 8O

-M

Trancit

Post by Trancit » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:14 pm

Matthias wrote:hi Trancit,

thank you very much for your report, there was a bug introduced in Live 7 that reduces Sampler's max cutoff frequency internally to the 1/4 of the samplerate causing the filter to cut at about 10kHz when driven with a samplerate of 44.1kHz.

this will be fixed with the next bugfix release, I'm sorry for that.

best wishes,
matthias
I`m glad to hear this from the headquaters.... I already thought I`ve lost my good ears :-)))
Thank you to confirm this and fix this...sampler is one of the best I`ve ever seen ...great work and I thank you and you are welcome!!!

Trancit

[tow]

Post by [tow] » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:36 pm

This is fixed with the upcoming bugfix release. You can already have a try and confirm this with the 7.0.2 beta, wouldn't you?
Best,
Torsten

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:34 pm

Fixing bugs that you introduce, well done, we are really getting somewhere.
what next? beta's for bug fixes.
Drums

justin

Post by justin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:10 pm

tested with sample from live library "noise white.aif" loaded in sampler.
playing C3 note = no pitch change

listening to it, there appears to be no "dulling" of the sound caused by the filter when cutoff is set to 18.5khz (toggling filter on / off).

however i did notice something a bit strange when switching between M24db (morph set to LP) and LP24. it seems these 2 filter modes sound quite different (especially with hi resonance), even though they are theoretically the same...

i presume the design for the morph-able filter is quite different to the classic LP24 filter... so i wouldnt really consider this a bug, just an observation!

j