DJing drum fills

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ChrisMack99

DJing drum fills

Post by ChrisMack99 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:12 pm

Say I have one scene and I want to move to the next, but I don't want to just end one measure of scene 1 and start a measure of scene 2, I want some kind of buildup or snare roll or even something tonal to make the transition better. IS there a way to do this if I'm playing Live live (heh) in session view? Normally if I'm just recording a song to put on soundcloud or whatever I'll put the 2 scenes next to each other in arrangement view and then slice out the last few bars of the first scene and make it into a transition kind of part, but that doesn't seem practical for a live setting.

I'm assuming I need some kind of clip triggering technique I don't know about.

Rabalder

Re: DJing drum fills

Post by Rabalder » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:23 pm

uhhhh.. Not shure I understand the question......
But why cant you just create a clip with "some kind of buildup or snare roll or even something tonal", and trigger it?

ChrisMack99

Post by ChrisMack99 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:34 pm

Like if I have scene 1 which is a few loops that are 4 bars long and then I want to go into scene 2...I don't want every loop of scene 1 have the transition, just the last loop. I suppose I could make each clip like 16 or 32 bars long instead of 4, but it seems like there should be an easier way to do it than that.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Try the a/b crossfade function. But you cant have the 2 fading clips on the same track though..

ChrisMack99

Post by ChrisMack99 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:14 pm

Could you explain that in a bit more detail please?

v0ins315

Post by v0ins315 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:01 pm

ChrisMack99 wrote:I could make each clip like 16 or 32 bars long instead of 4, but it seems like there should be an easier way to do it than that.

Have a seperate clip for the drum roll (or w/e ur using) and make that clip 16 or 32 bars long, and place the audio/midi clip towards the end of it. Then when it plays out, trigger the next scene.
Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:05 pm

ChrisMack99 wrote:Could you explain that in a bit more detail please?
:arrow: The manual page 193

ChrisMack99

Post by ChrisMack99 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks Voins, that sounds like it would suit my needs perfectly. Pretty obvious idea too haha, thanks for pointing it out.

Rabalder, thank you too, I'll probably still check that out in the manual.

XPM

Post by XPM » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Follow actions.

stick your original beat in first, then the fill on the next scene, with a follow on action to trigger the second beat. You could use legato mode, or not depending on your personal preference.

Easy. :D

ChrisMack99

Post by ChrisMack99 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:41 pm

v0ins315 wrote:
ChrisMack99 wrote:I could make each clip like 16 or 32 bars long instead of 4, but it seems like there should be an easier way to do it than that.

Have a seperate clip for the drum roll (or w/e ur using) and make that clip 16 or 32 bars long, and place the audio/midi clip towards the end of it. Then when it plays out, trigger the next scene.
Wait...if I did that then the normal drum loop will still be playing during the ending of the transition clip.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:08 pm

ChrisMack99 wrote:
v0ins315 wrote:

Wait...if I did that then the normal drum loop will still be playing during the ending of the transition clip.
Either put the drum roll ON a longer clip (32 or 64 bars ish) or use a different track and just put silence until the last bar with the fill/roll - in this case you might want to go make your drum loop the same length and delete the last bar where the fill would be.

I do this alot with reverse cymbals - 8 bar loop with total silence until the very last second there is a reverse cymbal, snare roll, etc. I don't trigger these manually they just come in when I trigger the scene - if you wanted to trigger these fills yourself then maybe you could put the quantize on None - Trigger and just hit them at the right time

v0ins315

Post by v0ins315 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:11 pm

ChrisMack99 wrote:
v0ins315 wrote:

Hmm, didn't realize you wanted only the fill. Make all clips 16/32 or look into follow actions.

edit: or even automate the clips you want muted, so they aren't playing when the fill comes on.

dbl edit: I reccomend just making all clips ~32 bars anyway. Get in a habit of doing that and you will avoid this problem from now on. It allows for more variation in your loops/clips, and will keep the listeners interested.
Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins