ouch, live 7 is glitchy!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
rishi

Post by rishi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:20 am

RhinoInRio wrote:Are you guys using external usb or firewire interfaces???
I've had glitches even with Live 6 when I only used the internal soundcard on my lappy. As soon as I connected my USB interface, all was well. This happens "ofcourse" also with my Live 7.01.
yeah.. its not the interface, as I didnt have any such problems with Live 6

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:54 pm

hmmm....I think it may have been an issue with my midi interface being set up in the Live sync preferences but not being plugged in, that for some reason caused Live to glitch audio playback...I'll post tonight after I get a chance to test my theory, but I've managed to get rid of my glitches...

Timur

Post by Timur » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:47 pm

In case that you have any Control Surfaces set in Preferences, set them all to none. Also disable all Midi Ports Inputs and Outputs. Does this only happen for users on Mac OS or also in Windows?

rishi

Post by rishi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:22 pm

I'm on XP. My problem is not the glitching is the tempo s l o w down that I mentioned earlier. But it happens regularly, especially with tracks warped in complex mode.

Timur

Post by Timur » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:38 pm

Try using MME or DirectX instead of Asio when such a slowdown happens, maybe Live messes with your Asio drivers.

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:27 am

well I can't make my system glitch now...first I can't get it to stop, now I can't get it to do anymore...well at least it works now :roll:

rishi

Post by rishi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:45 pm

I had a Remote SL set as a Control Surfaces set in Preferences. Only had time to do a quick test last night, but the CPU spikes were much less nocticeable and the average CPU level seemed much lower.

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:44 pm

so I figured out what is causing the weird tempo behavior. It happens when Live screws up and the sample rate of the sound card and Live's audio engine sample rate don't match (ie. 44100 vs 48000 or 96000)...for some reason Live is adjusting the midi timing to match the incorrect sample rate. I haven't figured out exactly how to trigger it, but if you are having the tempo problem, toggle the sample rates of your sound card and in Live audio prefs and it should fix it.

Morgan McLeod

Something similar to the original post with 7.01.

Post by Morgan McLeod » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:41 pm

Powerbook G4 1.25 GHz 1GB OSX 10.4.11.

MP3 files on an external 7200 RPM firewire drive.

I recorded a DJ set playing MP3s to the arrangement. No problems occurred during the original performance of the set (except those caused by the DJ!) Now when playing it back it glitches pretty severely at some of the crossfade points. It seems to happen right at the beginning of crossfades or when there are a tight group of control points (moving towards the incoming track??not sure.)

Meters spike in one of the tracks and on the master track. Digital distortion sound. No noticeable CPU spike within Live or without.

It is intermittent. The same xfade will glitch when played a few times in a row and then later will not. The first one I noticed went up and then partway went suddenly down and then back up. I smoothed it with draw mode and then it didn't glitch again.

Was using an echo indigo DJ when playing initially but just using the laptop's internal speakers for playback with the glitching.

Separately, I also noticed slight glitches when dragging files from iTunes into clip slots from the same external firewire drive.

rishi

Post by rishi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:37 pm

evilxsystems wrote:so I figured out what is causing the weird tempo behavior. It happens when Live screws up and the sample rate of the sound card and Live's audio engine sample rate don't match (ie. 44100 vs 48000 or 96000)...for some reason Live is adjusting the midi timing to match the incorrect sample rate. I haven't figured out exactly how to trigger it, but if you are having the tempo problem, toggle the sample rates of your sound card and in Live audio prefs and it should fix it.
Thanks for the tip. The problem still remains that they are getting out of sync.

m.Lo

Post by m.Lo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:28 pm

[quote="cids"]This is an issue with your setup... not with Ableton Live...[/quote]

Hey, you have a MBP Santa Rosa like me. Please, can you tell me what latency you get (in and out) when you set to 252 Samples at 44.1khz? (Mine tells me: 13ms each)
This question because I´m so disappointed by the audio-performance of the book that I can´t believe it.

m.Lo

Post by m.Lo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:39 pm

[quote="evilxsystems"][quote="rishi"]
I mean the tempo drops like 10-15bpm whilst the tempo box reads the same. ie: BPM reads 128bpm but actually playing at like 110bpm.

Anyone else experienced this tempo drop problem too?[/quote]

+1, I have problems with Live 6.0.10 in prewieving files that sound very strange with false tempo and pitch since I used Live 7 beta and demo. The disk light appears at prewieving files over 2mb. Maybe I should format the disk and never use 7 again... :evil:

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:39 pm

Hi,

Yep - I'm discovering lots of issues as I'm going along.

If I move the loop markers with the arrows while playing I get really nasty rasping noises and also if I zoom in to the waveform to set markers etc i get slow downs and the rasping noise.

I'm using a configured laptop for daw and had no problem with Live 6 :cry: :evil:
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

Cache

Post by Cache » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:14 am

I discovered it was my Remote SL assigned as a control surface that was causing my glitches+pops.

<from post to bugs>

I have a remote SL with the latest drivers from novation.

when i have the Remote assigned as a control surface in my preferences, i get pops and glitches (Cpu spikes up to 50%) when i move the volume faders of a playing audio track.

If i have remote assigned as multiple control surfaces (eg port 1, port 2....) then the pops and glitches get more extreme (Cpu spikes up to 200+ %)

If i remove the Remote from the control surface assignments, then the pops and glitches disappear.

this is with Beta3

I'm on windows and using a DMX6Fire sound card.

the latency or whether im using 96 or 44.1 khz doesn't make any difference.
www.cachemusic.com
myspace.com/1800cachecall
myspace.com/autonomousunit
myspace.com/kinesicla
myspace.com/pocketonfridays

Timur

Post by Timur » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:30 am

Did you change the input and output ports of the Remote SL from DirectMusic to MME? Make sure that all three Remote SL ports are set to MME (click the small arrow left to the port name in Preferences).