MONITORS - best quality/bang for buck

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jaan

MONITORS - best quality/bang for buck

Post by Jaan » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:40 pm

In your opinion, what is the best monitor available for me right now.

I'm looking to buy monitors between $500-$1200 that will last long and will give excellent performance. Its not urgent - these can wait until 2008. Should I wait a bit before buying, like are there any new monitors coming out soon?

1. is my budget realistic?
2. ANY advice can you offer?

Also, I'd like to go listen to a few at a few music shops, but don't know how to listen to them. I mean I probably wont be able to tell the difference. so what should I do? I'm also 15 so I think it'd be a bit awkward if I were to walk in, audition a few, then leave without buying anything (i do all my shopping via internet, prices are usually cheaper).

Thanks alot, whatever insight you have will help me.

Cheers

Jaan
filthy

went to the gypsy

Post by went to the gypsy » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:19 pm

i listened to 100 different monitors before arriving here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR4326Ppak/

The JBL LSR4326s put the fun back into desktop music!!

Well, that and my 6176. Geesus!! I'm getting teary eyed ...

cheers!
-wttg_

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:22 pm

mackie hr824's

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:46 pm

i have been satisfied with my genelec 1029A monitors and thought i was safe sound wise......until i heard my mixes on blue sky system 2.1 ( with subwoofer )....pheeew.

now i know i need a subwoofer for my genelec!

i you have the opportunity check the blue sky system 2.1 out....a bit out of your given price range as they are about 1800 euro ex vat but still

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:02 pm

adam

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:04 pm

Ive heard good things bout the blue sky stuff - check SOS for a pretty in depth review.

Personallhy i have the genelec 8030's - a lovely clean sound.

If you can find a shop with different speakers on hand A/B them - i had the mackies and the genelcs and i was more into the G's...

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:45 pm

one thing to keep in mind when buying a top class pair of monitors is how much have you got to spend to improve your room. an awesome pair of monitors doesnt alway equal a massive improvement in audio quality for mixdown. of course they will sound better, but room may counter act it.

a mate of mine bought some awesome focal monitors but had to spend a massive amount of time, effort and money on bass traps and the rest [including notching out unwanted freqs in the room].

so the easiest route for me knowing my room was crap [and the girlfriend would fuckin flip out if i started constructing bass traps everywhere] was a top pair of mixing cans [AKG 701]. These have been a real help to me with out the spend and hassle.

snakes and ladders

Post by snakes and ladders » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:49 am

+1 for the focals.

I have the twin Be's - I bought them after hearing them in a proper room - they had Dyn BM6a's , Mackies, Gennie's. I really didn't want to spend that much but I heard detials I'd never heard before in the Focals. Got them home. Different story.
I've burned them in but now I relly have to start trating my room. Really badly

Spend as much as you can, dont skimp. I've heard excellent things about the blue sky's but they dont sell them in Oz. The Gennie's are too sweet for my liking. The Mackies are very "American" sounding. Big. The Dyns are flat as a tack and I couldn;t come at them but they are as tru as your going to get.

Tarekith gave the advise on room treatment to me when I was asking this very question and its excellent advise. I'm getting some realtraps very soon. Google them - pretty well priced and excellent quality
Mac 24", Remote SL, Live 6.05, Operator, Sampler, Metric Halo 2882, Focal Twin 6be

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:54 am

snakes and ladders wrote:+1 for the focals.

I have the twin Be's - I bought them after hearing them in a proper room - they had Dyn BM6a's , Mackies, Gennie's. I really didn't want to spend that much but I heard detials I'd never heard before in the Focals. Got them home. Different story.
I've burned them in but now I relly have to start trating my room. Really badly

Spend as much as you can, dont skimp. I've heard excellent things about the blue sky's but they dont sell them in Oz. The Gennie's are too sweet for my liking. The Mackies are very "American" sounding. Big. The Dyns are flat as a tack and I couldn;t come at them but they are as tru as your going to get.

Tarekith gave the advise on room treatment to me when I was asking this very question and its excellent advise. I'm getting some realtraps very soon. Google them - pretty well priced and excellent quality
its tim allan on here who has them - and your right they are awesome. i think hes are the twin b's. he will no doubt chime in when he sees this thread and wax lyrical on the awesomeness.

snakes and ladders

Post by snakes and ladders » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:58 am

I've got the twins'. And I can attest to their awesomeness.
I can see your in Melbourne.
The place I bought mine are from Awave in Camberwell. Loui and Andrew are really cool. Pm me if you like.
Mac 24", Remote SL, Live 6.05, Operator, Sampler, Metric Halo 2882, Focal Twin 6be

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:19 am

nuperspective wrote:I've heard excellent things about the blue sky's but they dont sell them in Oz.

i got my bluesky's in Sydney and everything people say about them is true. theyre amazing to work with. however that being said, i find myself needing to adjust a mixdown on my krk rp6's (also very inexpensive) about once a month or two.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:41 am

Not much of an endorsement man :)

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:43 am

snakes and ladders wrote:I've got the twins'. And I can attest to their awesomeness.
I can see your in Melbourne.
The place I bought mine are from Awave in Camberwell. Loui and Andrew are really cool. Pm me if you like.
yep - tim allan bought his from awave also. we are both in melbourne. they are the hubble teleiscope of monitors - im impressed everytime i hear them.

dru

Post by dru » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:50 am

I was in this position not too long ago and decided on some Samson Rubicon R5A's. Not too expensive and they sound great with the ribbon tweeter.