Impulse

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
flips

Impulse

Post by flips » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:43 pm

Hi!
I would just state that it would be nice if Impulse had at least a couple of more buttons, as in ten or more instead of just eight.

--
flips 8)

U|M

Post by U|M » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:59 pm

At least twelve buttons would be fine :idea:

spookydirt

Post by spookydirt » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:27 pm

I think 15, just to be on the safe side.

--andy
i5-7500 3.4GHz /16GB / Aphex207D / yellow lefty Danelectro / CZ-101 / E-Bow / Genius
Mink15 - Indie Lo-Fi Downtempo pop- Spookydirt - ambient space music -

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:31 pm

16 makes the most sense. Almost all drum pad controllers have 16 pads.

ahlstrominfo

Post by ahlstrominfo » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:08 pm

im thinking about a number...

Anyway in Live 6 you can do the racks thinig. That should solve it.
My old signature was pretty stupid, so I changed it to this one.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:22 pm

there's actually a bit of an issue with racks and impulse because all the impulses stack on top of each other. All on the same keys.

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:50 pm

Angstrom wrote:there's actually a bit of an issue with racks and impulse because all the impulses stack on top of each other. All on the same keys.
Just insert a MIDI Pitch Device in each Device Chain to map them to different keys.
Want to play the second Impulse from one octave above the first? Set Pitch to -12. Ok, in this case the last pad of Impulse 1 would still overlap with the first pad of Impulse 2... but you get the idea. Use a Scale Device after the Pitch Device if you want more control (e.g. to have all pads consecutively on white keys only).

Oh, I'd vote for 7 btw. 8O

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:38 am

you can rack up one instance of impuls, and 8 simplers, for a really awesome drum machine.
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:55 pm

dr.wackler wrote:
Angstrom wrote:there's actually a bit of an issue with racks and impulse because all the impulses stack on top of each other. All on the same keys.
Just insert a MIDI Pitch Device in each Device Chain to map them to different keys.
Want to play the second Impulse from one octave above the first? Set Pitch to -12. Ok, in this case the last pad of Impulse 1 would still overlap with the first pad of Impulse 2... but you get the idea. Use a Scale Device after the Pitch Device if you want more control (e.g. to have all pads consecutively on white keys only).

Oh, I'd vote for 7 btw. 8O
but surely - even if you do that the drum names don't appear correctly in the midi editor - they are all still stacked on top of each other. The midi pitch shift comes after the midi note view so it doesn't affect the way you see the notes there. Which is quite an important factor I think

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:07 pm

Angstrom wrote:but surely - even if you do that the drum names don't appear correctly in the midi editor - they are all still stacked on top of each other. The midi pitch shift comes after the midi note view so it doesn't affect the way you see the notes there. Which is quite an important factor I think
You won't see all the names, that's true. A thing that should be improved in future updates - though I guess it's a complex thing to do unless they put a trigger note shifting feature into Impulse itself.

But you can of course access all notes in the MIDI editor, when you turn 'Fold' off. They are not stacked on top of each other, because that's exactly what you 'correct' by the Pitch plugin.

Example:
-- Standard Impulse will be played on white keys from C3 to C4.
-- You want a second Impulse to be played on white keys from D4 to D5.
-- So you insert a Pitch plugin set to -14, followed by a Scale plugin where you map D# to E and A# to B.
---> The notes that play the second Impulse will be white keys from D4 to D5 in the MIDI editor.

bling closby

Post by bling closby » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:10 am

nicer still would be if you could via midi, mute or solo individual sounds.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:33 am

bling closby wrote:nicer still would be if you could via midi, mute or solo individual sounds.
You can. Use a rack to filter notes...

bling closby

Post by bling closby » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:49 am

no racks in 5 :)

am is are

Post by am is are » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:46 pm

a 16 cell Impulse would be nice. Samples 9-16 could be accessed via a tab on top of the GUI (ala Sampler).
in terms of LIVE performance via Keyboard: Samples 1-8 could still be triggered by a-s-d-f etc. and Samples 9-16 with same keys Shifted to Caps.

beubbo

Post by beubbo » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:21 am

hoffman2k wrote:
bling closby wrote:nicer still would be if you could via midi, mute or solo individual sounds.
You can. Use a rack to filter notes...
Yeah, but it would be so much elegant (and efficient) to be able to automate Impulse's cells Mutes & Solos directly on Impulse's interface or control surface or even via a midi keyboard (ala Reason's Redrum).

What would be cool too is the possibility to move or copy/paste samples from one cell to another cell (ala Battery2) and having the option to duplicate in the same time its cell parameters (Start, Transp, Stretch...)

Finally, a killer feature would be the option to link one Impulse's cell (again ala Reason's redrum) to an other or even more cells for instant samples layers !

ALL that would make IMPULSE a heck of a lot of fun to play with !!! :)

TIA Abes