Getting a weird problem.....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cathodeflower

Getting a weird problem.....

Post by Cathodeflower » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:00 am

OK, so I'm trying to record just with my midi controller. Let's just say I use an impulse kit that ships with live (just so you know that all samples do not have dead space etc). Ok I have a major midi delay problem. Now I have a good soundcar - Fireface, FF Asio, with the prefs set up as I/O Sample Rate of 96000, 96 samples buffer size, and overall latency of 4.14ms. I have nothing set in either the Drive Error Compensation or Track Delay.

I'm am going crazy trying to figure out what is going on. If I play a beat (Quantization Off) The groove dos not record AT ALL to how I played it. Even if I play a 4/4 kick with a metronome and against a track with 4/4 kick which is quantized...when I play I can tell I'm on time because the sound is phasing BUT when I look inside the sequencer the notes are predominantly late but often in random possitions too. Wtf is going on here?

If you can help it would be much appreciated. Thanks

3dot...

Re: Getting a weird problem.....

Post by 3dot... » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:13 am

maybe your computer is struggling with 96K audio at this low buffer size..
and midi timing gets the back seat..

maybe try to go 44K and see if there's a difference

Cathodeflower

Post by Cathodeflower » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Greeter...have tried all possible settings now and it still happens. I mean it can't be off by that much can it? It would mean I can only play and quantize can never play my own thing. I'm stumped as to whether this is a hardware or software issue but I have a new desktop pc that is super fast. Going to try on the MacBook later to see if there is a difference. Live used to work fine for me on my old laptop with an audio8 as well.

Cathodeflower

Post by Cathodeflower » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Is anyone using a fireface 800 with live? What kind of settings do you have in the prefs?

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:49 pm

in ableton live preferences, check the audio tab and set the buffer compensation so global latency shows 0.00ms
tick the smp button to get more precise if necessary.

Then like 3dot have said, you should do your testing with a basic 44.1
Once you got the right setting you can try push it above.

Palmer Eldritch

Post by Palmer Eldritch » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:16 pm

Hermanus wrote:in ableton live preferences, check the audio tab and set the buffer compensation so global latency shows 0.00ms
tick the smp button to get more precise if necessary.
Hi Hermanus,

sorry to say but the purpose of the "driver error compensation" is not to bring the overall latency to 0.00 ms (which, by the way, is impossible). If you do so this will be counterproductive.

The purpose of the "driver error compensation" is only for the case that a audio interface transmits a wrong value of its latency to Live. Here you can correct this manually.

As an example: If your audio interface transmits a value of 20 ms (overall latency) to Live but the real value is 21 ms then you have to adjust this field to a value of 1 ms.

For more information check the lesson "Driver Error Compensation" at the end of the lesson "Setting Up Audio I/O"

cheers, palmer
Live 8_3_4 + 4b7_32+64 -Suite- Max4Live 5_1_9 _ core2DuoMacBook 2*2,16 Ghz + external FW HD _ OSX 10.6.8 _ 3G RAM _ M.H. MIO 2882 + 5.4d208 Driver _ Faderfox LV1 _ Akai MPK25 _ Logitec wheel mouse _______ PeacE will be the SOLution of LIVE