Selling Live 8 Licence and keeping 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Danny Lee

Selling Live 8 Licence and keeping 7

Post by Danny Lee » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:24 pm

well, after a pretty long period tryng to convince myself if wasnt a mistake, imwondering if i sell my live 8 serial, can i keep my live 7 one and forget all about live 8?

im not a troll so im sorry if it sems that way - but the magic of what made me fall in love with live is lost in the frustration of constant crashes, even the lack of a simple swing thingy in the top corner annoys me prob more than it should - 7 felt like a duck taking to water and this just seems more akward to me

as im writing this i realise that this is may just be me venting the frustration caused by not being able to work for more than a few mins tonight without a crash and a restart and ill no doubt calm down and persevere (sp?)

just so i know my optoins tho - is it possible to sell the licenece i paid for for the upgrade from 7 to 8?

contakt321

Re: Selling Live 8 Licence and keeping 7

Post by contakt321 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:26 pm

Have you called support yet to get your issues sorted?

Just asking. I know stuff like that is frustrating - sometimes when I get that angry I forget to do the obvious stuff like get help.

Good luck man! I would be frustrated too!

ark

Post by ark » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Danny Lee wrote: just so i know my optoins tho - is it possible to sell the licenece i paid for for the upgrade from 7 to 8?
It's almost impossible to imagine that the answer would be anything but no.

Consider: Because you had paid for 7, you got 8 for much less than it would have cost otherwise. If you could sell 7 afterward, then anyone could get a discount on 8 by buying 7 from someone who didn't want 8, upgrading 8, then selling 7 back for the same price.

Danny Lee

Post by Danny Lee » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:44 pm

tbh now u have said it i havnt called anyone

i guess its just me expecting more cos 7 was just perfect for me - hence why i decided to splash the cash on 7

months with nothin but joy

its prob just teethin problems i hope (my the swing thingy, thats gone forever)

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:12 am

Danny Lee wrote:tbh now u have said it i havnt called anyone

i guess its just me expecting more cos 7 was just perfect for me - hence why i decided to splash the cash on 7

months with nothin but joy

its prob just teethin problems i hope (my the swing thingy, thats gone forever)
CALL!

Listen! You paid for the software, it should work.

Also, this may help Ableton diagnose a problem that will help other people too.

It benefits everyone for you call :)

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:19 am

have you tried 8.0.4b4

you could possibly help iron out some of these bugs if they show up in that just with the automatic bug reporting that happens after a crash

it's still early days and they will fix it as soon as is humanly possible

I'm in the same boat, I'm finding it quite frustrating trying to use Live 8

in the mean time you could just use 7 until there are a couple more bug fix updates, then you can open what you do in Live 8

trilo

Post by trilo » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:23 am

Sorry to hear you're not feeling Live 8. The crashes would annoy me too, but on 8.0.3 I just haven't been experiencing them.

Call or email support. Unless you bought a full version of 8, then you might not actually have something that's fully transferable. But you won't know for sure until you ask.

Good luck!

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:29 am

would have thought the license for the upgrade is you only license. keep 8 and use 7. until 8 matures.

note to self for future - try the demo first.

Danny Lee

Post by Danny Lee » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:32 pm

im downloading the beta now so will see how that goes

"note to self for future - try the demo first." - luckily i bought my 7 licence in time to allow me to try the beta versions of 8 before it was released so had many hours playing with it and during that time i had no crashes which i thought seemed promising. playing with the ground tracks, vocoder and all the general goodness defo made me buy 8 the second it was released

its more than likely the crashes have made me a lil more picky with the changes from 7 to 8 and ill no doubt get used to it all

either way. i got a few days off ahead of me so gonna stick with it

Rave - ur spot on about my projects, but that purley my fault for expecting the same level of stability in version 8 that i hadin 7 so i VERY STUPIDLY did not copy my projects and so sealed my own fate in that respect.... my lesson has been learnt now lol

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:41 pm

If you upgraded to Live 8 from 7, selling any of the licenses means selling ALL of them. In other words, you don't get to keep Live 7 if you want to sell your Live 8 license.

If you bought full versions of Live 7 and Live 8 seperately *without upgrading 7 to 8* then you may sell your Live 8 license and keep your Live 7 license as they are technically 2 seperate products.

I know this is the situation because I enquired to Ableton Support recently about this (as I wondered if I could sell my Live 6 license but retain my Live 7 license and after a little confusion, they clarified the above information).
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

casioaz1

Post by casioaz1 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:39 pm

do i have the magic live 8 copy or what? i have never ran into problems yet.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:46 am

Or ableton like the venus planet :lol:

Lucky you.

Seriously, about 8.0.3, i've tried demo and seen the progress from 8.0.1!
It decided for upgrading [happy will I on the incoming week]

Now third party plugins are configurable and I will be glad to send every crash report that might be useful :mrgreen:

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:59 am

Forge is right about trying the latest beta, it really is the best way to get someone to seriously look at the problems you're having, I can understand your frustration though. It's worth remembering that Live7 was buggy as hell on release too, it's probably something to do with marketing departments setting impossible deadlines for the people who actually have to do the real work. :wink:

The new groove method is far and away better than the old simple suffle control, although I do think that the Abes should consider a 'default groove' setting in the preferences so you could just set a simple shuffle for everything if that's all you need. It's very worth spending a little time exploring the groove features and what they can do for your music, I personally could never go back to Live7 purely because of how much tighter the rhythm sounds now.

Contact Ableton directly and participate in the beta testing, send a simple email to support outlining your problems and exact machine specs. I'm certain it's all sortable if 7 worked ok on the same machine.

Good luck