Live 7 question(midi system messages)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Barnacles

Live 7 question(midi system messages)

Post by Barnacles » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:31 pm

Does anyone know how to send midi system messages in ableton live 7. I would like to send them via a midi clip but it would help me to know anyway of sending them. In particular sequencer start and stop message. I have Ableton running on a loptop connected to a novation remote zero that is the cotroller. The novation then is connected to a Tenori-on the Tenori-on is sending its 16midi channels to live soft synths. The TO is synced however when I want to load new banks of midi information(just sequenced midi notes) in the TO it stops play and I need to start it and keep the down beat in sync with lives downbeat. I can manually start it and get usually close to the 1(Live and the TO are Tempo synced), but I would really like to send a start message from live when I change scenes. I figure the easy way to this is create a clip on every scene that does nothing but send a sequencer start message. I hope someone can help.

william.jack38

Re: Live 7 question(midi system messages)

Post by william.jack38 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:33 am

Barnacles wrote:Does anyone know how to send midi system messages in ableton live 7. I would like to send them via a midi clip but it would help me to know anyway of sending them. In particular sequencer start and stop message. I have Ableton running on a loptop connected to a novation remote zero that is the cotroller. The novation then is connected to a Tenori-on the Tenori-on is sending its 16midi channels to live soft synths. The TO is synced however when I want to load new banks of midi information(just sequenced midi notes) in the TO it stops play and I need to start it and keep the down beat in sync with lives downbeat. I can manually start it and get usually close to the 1(Live and the TO are Tempo synced), but I would really like to send a start message from live when I change scenes. I figure the easy way to this is create a clip on every scene that does nothing but send a sequencer start message. I hope someone can help.
I dont know how to do this with Live 7, but in Live 8 there is option for this.

Barnacles

Re: Live 7 question(midi system messages)

Post by Barnacles » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:46 pm

how is it done in Live 8?