Arduino vs Midibox?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
8O

Arduino vs Midibox?

Post by 8O » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:45 pm

Anyone on here got experience of both...?

I've dabbled with Midibox already and built and programmed a basic prototype Live controller (see the youtube link in my signature). I'd like to extend that to get APC-40 functionality including all the feedback.

Plus I've got a side-project for a friend in Wales which is just a switch array -> midi note interface (i.e. in Midibox jargon just the Dinx4 and Core).

I'm confident that I could use Midibox for both these projects, but just wondering before I dig deeper whether it would be worth switching to Arduino. I had a quick look round the Arduino site and the main advantage is that one can buy pre-assembled boards (which saves a lot of time and solder fumes) and that stuff like USB-bus power is already there, but it seems much more general purpose and the midi stuff is spread out over user projects rather than a core supported application.

So definitely pros and cons with both Midibox and Arduino.

Opinions...?

8O

Re: Arduino vs Midibox?

Post by 8O » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:29 am

Bump for the Saturday morning engineers...

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:18 am

Bump for the monday morning checking forum at work instead of working people.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:48 am

I'm watching development by Ruin and Wesen on the MIDIduino. Looks like a nice alternative.

http://ruinwesen.com/blog?id=308

He closes with "this is going to change the way we think about MIDI controllers". I'm intrigued..

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:03 am

Get both. Arduino is very good for testing / rapid prototyping and then move it to the Midibox for a final 'product'.

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:20 am

DIgiDennis wrote:Get both. Arduino is very good for testing / rapid prototyping and then move it to the Midibox for a final 'product'.
Actually, I was thinking about the other way around as midibox is strictly non-commercial and if I build something cool that someone wants to buy, it really needs to be Arduino-based, no?

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:20 am

hoffman2k wrote:I'm watching development by Ruin and Wesen on the MIDIduino. Looks like a nice alternative.

http://ruinwesen.com/blog?id=308

He closes with "this is going to change the way we think about MIDI controllers". I'm intrigued..
Interesting... thanks for the link. Will dig deeper...

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:30 am

8O wrote:
DIgiDennis wrote:Get both. Arduino is very good for testing / rapid prototyping and then move it to the Midibox for a final 'product'.
Actually, I was thinking about the other way around as midibox is strictly non-commercial and if I build something cool that someone wants to buy, it really needs to be Arduino-based, no?
right, for a commercial product midibox is a no-go.
dunno if its worth to consider constraints memory( 14kb ) and pin wise on the ardiuno?

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:33 am

DIgiDennis wrote:dunno if its worth to consider constraints memory( 14kb ) and pin wise on the ardiuno?
A-ha, these are the kind of nuggets of information I'm after. Thanks! Memory shouldn't be a big constraint, but will also check it out...

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:30 pm

arduino is cheap enough that i dont feel bad having played with it for a couple weeks and then never again.

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:17 pm

too late probably, but I give my opinion experience.
I got both (and even a wiring board)

midibox is a VERY achieved framework.
there are MANY examples, codes to make box that WILL work !
TK and the other guys I chatted with are VERY expert in C, microController etc.
The whole framework is very powerful.

arduino is VERY cool to make sound, input/output, etc but, for my opinion, it is TOO much versatile :-) (strange, that it could be a VERY big quality, in my case, it didn't have been a quality)

so the answer is: both... BUT if you want to make a midi controller, just run into MIDIBOX !
I can add one thing: let consider making your own PCB before buying midibox modules with engraved (and bad one side maked) PCB...

I made an arduino RGB led monome clone called: The [bon]ome
and I'm finishing my midibox based protodeck controller

so, I know pretty well both of them
Julien Bayle
Art + Teaching/Consulting

Ableton Certified Trainer
Max Certified Trainer

8O

Post by 8O » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Cheers julienb.

I ended up going with midibox as I already had experience there and it was a non-commercial project.

Here is the finished article:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/ ... 505.0.html

In fact, I think I'll stick with midibox (especially now with the new core that supports USB) for all prototypes and only consider something else if I want to go commercial...

Cheers! :)

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:39 pm

VERY pretty box!!!
I guess i'll test the core32 later ; USB support is interesting!!!
Julien Bayle
Art + Teaching/Consulting

Ableton Certified Trainer
Max Certified Trainer

concept_control

Post by concept_control » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:06 pm

Hey, I've got one of doepfer's Pocket Electronic gadgets, and what with the release of MfL stating you can direct connect devices to it (ie without MIDI) I will be picking up an arduino ASAP. I've used the PE and Bome's to do some pretty complex stuff but I'm not exactly fond of MT. Don't get me wrong it's the best there is for MIDI, but it always feels like a bodge to me. MfL will declutter my workflow greatly :) code straight into Ableton to get things running, no magic midi ports, MT, midi to usb adapters, extra troublesome background apps, yes to greater resolution (no 127 limit!) and flexibility of dragging MfL apps in like instruments (it looks that way anyhow..)

Hahaha I sound like some campaigner.