Fuck Micro$oft Google joins browser wars!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

Fuck Micro$oft Google joins browser wars!

Post by djsynchro » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:15 pm

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:06 pm

yeah and fuck Apple too eh!

who the hell uses IE to browse these days?
Answer : people whose computers are run by an IT dept. Just like this:
www.thewebsiteisdown.com

Those particular users are the very last people who will shift to the Google browser.

the first victims will be Safari, Opera and FF

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:05 pm

I was disappointed by Safari when I bought my macbook. Firefox is still the champ.. anyone know when the mac version is due?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:15 pm

I'm using it right now and it seems pretty damn slick.
of course they are standing on the shoulders of giants - but it 's pretty good for a beta

SMonk

Post by SMonk » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:15 pm

I wonder, rhetorically, if it will have any adblocking functionality...

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:31 pm

Camino on the Mac is still top notch I think.
I'm trying this Google Chrome at work on a PC and its kinda kool..... but the fonts are tiny, and it's low on tweeky options.

Not bad for a Beta though.

bendedavis

Post by bendedavis » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:36 pm

Been using Chrome for a few minutes now and it seems like a great browser.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:40 pm

Seems pretty good, I've come to rely on Adblock plus and No-script though, this has an interesting "incognito" mode but it's google, do we trust it?

It's got a fair bit of work to do to convince me to move from Firefox.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:57 pm

Chrome sucks. It can't figure out which plugins to download and it doesn't let you tell it which ones to download. Plug-related crap has happened with every single browser that has come out

i am using chrome . As I type this message, and hit backspace to cas I titype this message, and hit backspace, it t

it throws spooge into the message. It is crap and it sucks, you heard it here first.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:59 pm

mikemc wrote:Chrome sucks. It can't figure out which plugins to download and it doesn't let you tell it which ones to download. Plug-related crap has happened with every single browser that has come out

i am using chrome . As I type this message, and hit backspace to cas I titype this message, and hit backspace, it t

it throws spooge into the message. It is crap and it sucks, you heard it here first.
yeah it does seem to have a problem with that. Otherwise i like it. its fast and clean, think i'll keep this as my main browser for now

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:15 pm

mikemc wrote:Chrome sucks. It can't figure out which plugins to download and it doesn't let you tell it which ones to download. Plug-related crap has happened with every single browser that has come out

mmmmm...ok..

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:30 pm

Looks like they took some notes from Rupert's MySpace:
"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."
I like gmail, and Google's search is still the best, but they're dipping their beak into so many different arenas that it has to make you wonder. They want to make an iPhone competitor, they're bidding for radio bandwidth, they're tapping the fires of hell:

http://www.forbes.com/2008/08/19/google ... oogle.html

Where does it end? Do one thing and do it well.

Whoever is making aesthetic decisions over at Google really rubs me the wrong way. Their graphic design during the Olympic games + all of their quirky holiday themes are just goofy and lame.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:54 pm

All browsers are single-threaded the Chrome browser treats every tab as a seperate process there's a comic strip that explains the tech here:

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

This could well be the new best browser, and it's open source too. I like it!

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:55 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:Looks like they took some notes from Rupert's MySpace:
"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."
What's that from?

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:58 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
Hidden Driveways wrote:Looks like they took some notes from Rupert's MySpace:
What's that from?
It's in the contract you have to agree to when you use it.