PROMETHEUS

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

Re: PROMETHEUS

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:31 am

Tarekith wrote:I think this is the first time you and I have ever agreed on a movie :)
? I don't recall us not agreeing on movies? I'm I think a bit more into silly movies and hardcore serious movies, probably less in to big blockbuster films, but that's about it. :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:32 am

OK I'll bite! Total geek moment! :oops:
Pitch Black wrote:SPOILERS

I loved it. Especially the 3D vistas. Best digital cinematography EVAH!!

Yet, I TOTALLY agree with the below: (thankyou, wisdom of the Internet!)

1. Why does and android learn foreign languages by watching tapes? Surely a microchip would do the job? Isn't this just a bad writer's way of setting up his lingual skills???
It's a visual way of explaining it, which works for film, and David is programmed to act human.

2. How can David read dreams? And why doesn't Noomi dream subjectively? Isn't this just a bad writer's way of inserting a flashback???
Asking how a technology is possible in a science fiction movie makes little sense, and again from a visual standpoint it's more effective to have her dream in 'third person.'

5. How is that the Prometheus skims over the alien planet and almost immediately comes across the Engineers' temples???
Technology changes and we could assume this was the most habitable part of the planet etc.

6. Why would the Engineers "invite" humans to their weapons base, as opposed to their home planet?
Like was mentioned, as a sort of fail safe, or another reason that isn't explained.
??
7. What are those holographic recordings that come alive in the temple? Aren't they just a bad writer's excuse for setting up the next scene???
I dunno? basic warning system for other members of their kind? It's not a horrid offense.

11. How can the Engineer's decapitated head be still alive after thousands of years? And why does it explode?
The head isn't alive, it's given the semblance of life by the device they use to charge it. This activates the DNA destroying virus you see in the first scene, that creates new alien biological weapons.
??
12. Why does Holloway, when he wants to die, insist on getting torched by Vickers? Why doesn't he just remove his helmet (which he's already proved so good at)? ??
It was described as smoggy air, that would kill you slowly.

13. Why does David toss some of the growth goo in Noomi's boyfriend's drink? To see what happens? If so, why does he then basically tell Noomi that's she's got a monster inside of her (while being at pains to conceal the medical imaging from her)? Isn't that just a bad writer's way of imparting knowledge to one of the characters???
David is programmed to do what Wheyland wants him to, and Wheyland wants to see what would happen. I got the assumption David did not know that she couldn't get pregnant and therefore wasn't aware he was letting her know it was an alien. The other assumption is that he only is doing what he was told to do, without doing anything over the top to cover it up, as a sort of casual way of getting back at his creator.

14. Why does Noomi remove the squid fetus and then not kill it? Surely not because it just needs to be around at the ending? And how does it grow fifty times its size without any sustenance (an old ALIEN plothole, admittedly)???
She activates a kill sequence, but it's a poison gas of some sort that does nothing to the thing.

15. How can a woman who's just performed a major operation on herself recover so absurdly quickly???
Science fiction movie, we are not aware what she is injecting in to her body etc.

16. Why do Weyland and co just let her tag along on their jaunt to the temple? For that matter, why make the jaunt to the temple when it's such a manifestly dangerous place? Why not send David down there to negotiate with the Engineers??? The idea was to collect samples, in people or otherwise.

17. How come there's an Engineer still alive? And why does this massively advance lifeforce, when he does come back to life, only start storming around Frankenstein's monster? He would still believe that the mission was to kill off humans. Remember the conversation about how they obviously decided not to continue the attempt to kill us off?
??
18. How does the captain suddenly and inexplicably come up with an explanation for the purpose of the planet? And where does his sudden kamikaze altruism come from, except from bad writing??? It's not determined, but it's definitely hinted that Wheyland corp knew more about the actual nature of the colony than they let on to Noomi.

20. How does David know everything that's going on, even though he's lying decapitated in the temple???
It's not impossible to think he's in communication with the ships 'brain', therefore aware of what's going on.

21. How does the Engineer survive the crash? And when he does, why is his first action not to get into another of the ships, but to thunder in after Noomi like Jason from FRIDAY THE 13th??? Pretty badd ass chair he was sitting in, and again, he's convinced that the human experiment must be terminated etc.

22. Why, after everything she's been through, does Noomi decide not to head back to Earth -- to warn them -- but to go off to the (presumably hostile) planet of the Engineers? Surviving on what, exactly?
Because she's not a self serving asshole who would possibly contaminate her home planet, the Engineers planet wasn't obviously hostile anymore considering it had been 5 thousand years since the biological weapons project had failed on that planet etc. and we never got a run down on what kind of food was in the other ships, but we could assume that David and her sorted it out.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:18 am

^^^ Wow! A Creditable Effort Sir! :D

8, 9 and 10 were the ones that really bugged me in the cinema, though - the rest I can file under "fridge moments"

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeLogic

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:46 pm

Nice work MW

This is a snarky but funny deconstruction
Sam Strange Remembers: PROMETHEUS
http://badassdigest.com/2012/06/08/sam- ... rometheus/

I reckon the vagina face worm thing is what happened when the black goo encountered the worm things we see crawling around in the planets soil.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:05 pm

Not sure I agree about completely stereotypical characters...some yes, some no. Again, going back to Avatar...there's just no comparison. Evil asshole military guy stays evil asshole military guy throughout whole movie and beyond. omfg. At least with Charlize we get to see a bit more depth and character progression. She ends up not being a complete corporate asshole after all, but doesn't go through some sort of 180deg morality shift either. Nice.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:14 pm

Talk about plot holes and gaping 'DUH!' moments:

I mean, let's take Alien...always in my top 5 fav movies and held in high esteem. Yet, it makes one of the biggest blunders in all of screen writing history. Here's what I'm talking about:

"Uh, guys. THERE'S A GIANT FUCKING DEAD ALIEN EXOSKELETON THINGY SITTING IN A GIANT FUCKING SPACE CANNON DRIVERS CHAIR."

:lol:

omfg.

That moment is treated almost as an afterthought. I mean, they're kind of intrigued and caught off guard...but for some reason would rather just go crawling down that hole in the floor. I mean.....wtf? The GIANT FUCKING DEAD ALIEN SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU ISN'T ENOUGH? :lol: Hey....this HOLE looks more interesting.

omfg.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The dead alien isn't talked about again. No one even mentions in passing "Uh, hey. Who do you think that dude was?"

Nevermind the obvious that it represents mankinds first true evidence of intelligent life in space.

O. M. F. G.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:19 pm

"There's something down here guys."

"Yeah, cool. You go check that out whilst I examine THIS BITCHING COOL GIANT RAY GUN THAT WILL MAKE ME KING OF THE FUCKING UNIVERSE."

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:32 pm

Before we keep getting hung up on the self operation, let's try to remember that according to the Weyland Corporate Timeline they're going to invent the first FTL drive in 2034.

That's only 22 years from now.

If warping the time space continuum is going to happen before I hit the age of 70, uh....I don't think self operations with ultra fast healing is going to be entirely out of the question.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:35 pm

"Uh, guys. THERE'S A GIANT FUCKING DEAD ALIEN EXOSKELETON THINGY SITTING IN A GIANT FUCKING SPACE CANNON DRIVERS CHAIR."
omfg.
That moment is treated almost as an afterthought. I mean, they're kind of intrigued and caught off guard...but for some reason would rather just go crawling down that hole in the floor. I mean.....wtf? The GIANT FUCKING DEAD ALIEN SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU ISN'T ENOUGH? Hey....this HOLE looks more interesting.
Thank you.
ImageImage

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Well from what I remember of the original Alien storyline, they already knew the signal was possibly not from earthlings, and there wasn't any discussion that I recall of whether or not mankind hadn't already made contact with other races on other planets. Sure it was super casual, but hey Alien came out in the 70's remember? :lol:

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:09 pm

Agreed. Although never implicitly stated, the use by Dallas of the phrase 'alien life form. Looks like it's been dead a long time' as well as his riposte of 'unknown' to whether the signal is human or not tends to suggest that proof of extra terrestrial life is not a deal clincher.

However, on Prometheus, I have to admit that this major point is more ambiguous. I'm still not sure if Noomi and Tom Hardy Lite are excited because this is a 'Life on Mars' moment or because of the theological implications.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:58 pm

I got the impression it was the theological implications more than proof of life on other planets.
IMO one really easy assumption to make is that there is life on other planets. With over a trillion stars it's a pretty safe bet.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:41 pm

Machinesworking wrote:I got the impression it was the theological implications more than proof of life on other planets.
IMO one really easy assumption to make is that there is life on other planets. With over a trillion stars it's a pretty safe bet.
Fair enough. I agree.

But then I 100% agree with the theory of evolution and natural selection. Prometheus is based on proving that theory wrong.

Still enjoyed it, though.

The point I was trying to make was that Alien seemed to allude to ET life being a done deal already, but that oral rape parasitic xenomorph acid blood brain eaters were still a bit beyond the pale.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:55 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:....I mean, they're kind of intrigued and caught off guard...but for some reason would rather just go crawling down that hole in the floor. I mean.....wtf? The GIANT FUCKING DEAD ALIEN SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU ISN'T ENOUGH? :lol: Hey....this HOLE looks more interesting.
That's not the way it happened - the John Hurt character slipped down the walls into the egg pod area and after that he got zapped and they never had time to go back to the space jockey.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:13 am

I'm so fed up with having any kind of expectations or hopes for films. Prometheus looks good, but it feels so utterly pointless. Who cares about any of all this? Alien doesn't need a context. I don't really care about these "designers" and why they put us here (but they did change their minds and realised we were a mistake, I'll give 'em that much!) How fucking stupid is this Wheyland guy? "I want to live forever, and I guess if I just go find these long gone ancient aliens that created us, I'll be sorted!"

The characters have less depth than the 2D version, and to throw a snuggly COUPLE in the mix? Why are you doing this to us, Ridley?

Ridley, do us all a favour and drop the Blade Runner sequel.