Ableton Scratch Live ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dj_huck

Ableton Scratch Live ?

Post by dj_huck » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:26 pm

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:30 pm

We think it gives absolutely no details.

SubFunk

Re: Ableton Scratch Live ?

Post by SubFunk » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:32 pm

dj_huck wrote:http://www.ableton.com/serato-partnership

what do people think?
it's a matter of how long it takes.... i guess they seriously do need to reinvent the wheel for this one... many people will use, well... T.
and it will be hard to make them move platform again... if it's not blowing anything else out of the water big time... no idea how they want to manage that...

but i hope they do!!! and better quick.
*** Image GAFM ***

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:33 pm

i agree there are no details on the site. i know that a lot of people would rather see max-msp integration over this, but i for one think that it could be pretty cool. i use ssl and ableton so it would possibly be really nice

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:42 pm

i think that what could be an ultimate setup for me would be ssl inside ableton with tractor scratch pro on another 2 decks and something like the korg zero 8. just need that mixer now

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:59 pm

that sounds like fun huck

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:07 pm

I'm more excited by the Traktor Pro announcement. Personally I don't ever see myself using Live to DJ, or at least to emulate hardware DJing and I also don't see what the excitement would be. I don't think Live's effects are so mind blowing that this is a must. The effects in Traktor are made for DJing and I think they spent a lot of time creating them for that application.

If this collaboration is part of a Live upgrade along with other features then cool, but otherwise my excitement lasted about 10 minutes.

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:39 pm

or you could just spend more time with ableton and create 10x more interesting effects, esp with the option of VST application.

this product will blow traktor out of the water. i guarantee it.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:46 pm

I personally find NI's user friendliness about as enjoyable as having a healthy tooth pulled. I don't think I'll ever be excited about Traktor news, no matter how well Hawtin's pockets are lined.

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:00 am

i am excited about traktor pro, i will be even more excited if this iteration works with my laptop. i have never had a verstion of fs/traktor that works as well as ssl or ableton. the effects that they are adding to traktor are cool sounding. but i am sure they will sound played out in about 6 months, think pioneer mixers. beatsme are you not at least a little interested in having choise of what fx you use?

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:08 am

fx? I try to see DJing from the dancer's perspective. Unless I am seeing somebody like Glitch Mob then I'm probably going to be pissed off if the DJ is abusing effects. Their job is to keep the floor moving and spinning tunes with the occasional edit which looping, frequency kills, and maybe some sampling and delay should be more than enough for anybody. I have yet to see (hear) a DJ set full of effect masturbation that kept me on the floor.

But that could just be me.

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:30 am

beats me wrote:fx? I try to see DJing from the dancer's perspective. Unless I am seeing somebody like Glitch Mob then I'm probably going to be pissed off if the DJ is abusing effects. Their job is to keep the floor moving and spinning tunes with the occasional edit which looping, frequency kills, and maybe some sampling and delay should be more than enough for anybody. I have yet to see (hear) a DJ set full of effect masturbation that kept me on the floor.

But that could just be me.
ok

j2j

Post by j2j » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:34 am

Tight mixing does blow away, just about anything you can do with fx....

I think people are becoming annoyed at how filled productions are getting with fx....

let alone dance floors.
too many lasers...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:03 am

innovative toys = innovative music
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:06 pm

This all fit in nicely what something Ive been wanting to do anyway - run Live alongside a software DJ setup.

The only problem is I use Traktor. BTW - I do agree about some of the interface comment re traktor, however if you are using it with a Vestax VCI-100 controller - then all work very nicely and dont even have to touch the computer at all as you can even do track slection and loading off the controller, though you may find it easier to use a mouse for selection and loading.

The other headache - for running this lot - you do really need two displays - which probably means two laptops + pair of audio interfaces, midi sync between them etc.

With all that messing around - its actually becoming attractive to just use a pair of CDJs a mixer and an MPC (synced from a DJM-800 or Koass pad etc) for clips.
Nothing to see here - move along!