Mac users, would u consider going back to a PC?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Woud you go back to a windows machine?

Total votes: 0

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:50 am

if there is no chance of getting firewire back in the new macbooks. my next buy will be a macbook pro. easy as that.

I am not saying windows is crap. I'm just saying macs really works best with my workflow. I really like them.

But I have to say I am pretty glad i got my macbook 2,2ghz and wont have to upgrade in some time...

musick

Post by musick » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:41 am

The 'old' white MacBooks with FW will be available for quite some time... Powerfull enough for the next few years :)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:57 am

even i am very, very pissed off with apple about removing the FW port on the MBs,
i am with tarekith on this one... get the mbp and that's it.

and i would not change any gear towards shitty USB, unless it is not possible anymore at all to get any FW port mac lappy.

no way ever for me to switch to PC (never ever owned one and definitely never will)

unless you can run OSX on them and they are build decent and have a design that is not 1980s, a track pad bigger then my actual thumb, etc, etc... you get the drift.

it actually makes my stomach turn around thinking about a PC.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:31 pm

Rave wrote:
SubFunk wrote:even i am very, very pissed off with apple about removing the FW port on the MBs,
i am with tarekith on this one... get the mbp and that's it.

I don't want a MBP though, they are too big.
cry :roll:
*** Image GAFM ***

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:00 pm

At the time being I'm ok. When time to change will come I'll see.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Action Jackson

Post by Action Jackson » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:13 pm

My next computer will not be a laptop. I'll go for Mac Pro in a few years, since my new MacBook will probably be capable of handling all the work I need for now. If they choose to drop FW ports from Mac Pros too, there'll probably be a way to add firewire ports in it anyway. If I were to buy another laptop, I'd consider buying a Sony Vaio. i have nothing against PC's or Windows.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:08 pm

if i were shopping I would get the pro anyway.

plus my soundcard is already usb 2

i haven't used microsoft since DOS

Fall_X

Post by Fall_X » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:57 pm

Action Jackson wrote:My next computer will not be a laptop. I'll go for Mac Pro in a few years, since my new MacBook will probably be capable of handling all the work I need for now. If they choose to drop FW ports from Mac Pros too, there'll probably be a way to add firewire ports in it anyway. If I were to buy another laptop, I'd consider buying a Sony Vaio. i have nothing against PC's or Windows.
I'm a PC user (I hate mac, way too clumsy to get things done *) but I don't recommend Vaio's at all. I've had 3 (from work), and they always bug me. Attaching a second screen changes resolutions, or it doesn't detect it, etc...

* Just to give an example, let's say, you have a finder window open. In another program, you want to save something in the same folder. On Windows, you can just copy-paste the location from explorer to the save dialog. I have yet to find a way to do this on mac, so I always have to browse to the same folder again. But maybe someone here could tell me a faster way, and take away some of my hate for mac's.

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:15 pm

Fall_X wrote:* Just to give an example, let's say, you have a finder window open. In another program, you want to save something in the same folder. On Windows, you can just copy-paste the location from explorer to the save dialog. I have yet to find a way to do this on mac, so I always have to browse to the same folder again. But maybe someone here could tell me a faster way, and take away some of my hate for mac's.
Drag the folder icon from the very top of the finder window into your save dialogue.

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:20 pm

pwn :wink:

na would never go back, the way it just works
(and it just does)
the integration of core
the workflow
and the fact that its not boged down by windows (and the bloatware) crap

im still trying to uninstall all the anitvirus and burning software that came with a desktop in my parents house

fuck you windows
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

Fall_X

Post by Fall_X » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:51 pm

Hey thanks, I'll try that out at work tomorrow. Weird that none of my mac-using colleages was able to answer that question...

Still doesn't solve the problem if I want to send the location of a file on the network to another user via mail/msn though. Maybe there's a way to do that as well? (and sorry for the offtopicness)

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:52 pm

Fall_X wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:My next computer will not be a laptop. I'll go for Mac Pro in a few years, since my new MacBook will probably be capable of handling all the work I need for now. If they choose to drop FW ports from Mac Pros too, there'll probably be a way to add firewire ports in it anyway. If I were to buy another laptop, I'd consider buying a Sony Vaio. i have nothing against PC's or Windows.
I'm a PC user (I hate mac, way too clumsy to get things done *) but I don't recommend Vaio's at all. I've had 3 (from work), and they always bug me. Attaching a second screen changes resolutions, or it doesn't detect it, etc...

* Just to give an example, let's say, you have a finder window open. In another program, you want to save something in the same folder. On Windows, you can just copy-paste the location from explorer to the save dialog. I have yet to find a way to do this on mac, so I always have to browse to the same folder again. But maybe someone here could tell me a faster way, and take away some of my hate for mac's.
What about the time spent in Windows on maintaining the damn thing. On Windows you spend half of your time running around trying to patch things up rather than being creative.

Fall_X

Post by Fall_X » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Like what? I think that's a bit of a myth. I'm on a vaio, and it's got it's quirks, but normally everything runs out of the box. Sure, you have to change a few settings at first, but other than that you should be fine.

Mac's do seem to be a BIT more stable though, I'll give you that, but not even that much. I see plenty of mac's crawl at work when working with illustrator, flash or photoshop.

But I don't want to dis mac's, I personally don't like them that much, but probably due to my own ignorance of how to do things. But the thing is, I always ask mac users 'how could I achieve this' and most of the time no one seems to know.

I'm sure the system has it's benefits, but I do work with it from time to time, and I haven't seen anything that makes me want to leave pc's.

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:33 pm

Fall_X wrote:Still doesn't solve the problem if I want to send the location of a file on the network to another user via mail/msn though. Maybe there's a way to do that as well? (and sorry for the offtopicness)
Agreed, it's one of the few things that is simpler in Windows, but it can definitely be done in OSX too, just less simple: http://www.macworld.com/article/133299/ ... hcopy.html

Fall_X

Post by Fall_X » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:09 pm

Ow, hey, there you go, I hate mac a little bit less now :) The main reason this bugs me though, is that when windows-using-colleages send me a link to a file on the network, I can just click it, but these mac links would still not be clickable on my machine. But I guess it's a start.

But that's still only copying, I always navigatie my files by typing in the path in the location bar or the "run command" thingy (using shortcuts and autocomplete off course), which is pretty fast. Granted, the multi-column thing in Finder is pretty neat and allows you to navigate files pretty quickly as well.

Might seem like I'm nitpicking here, but those are things that really bother me when I have to use a mac or when I have to work with someone who uses a mac. Another of those things are that in some dialogs you can't seem to use the keyboard as easily as on pc, and have to swithch to the mouse (big time keyboard user me). But I'm glad I've learned at least some things now that might make things easier.

Ow, the main reason I started "hating" mac was that I spent an entire afternoon working on a file, saved it (through our windows based network), and the next morning, it was still the same file, without all my work, and it didn't even show me an error. That pissed me off quite a bit :)

(off course, I'm not saying everyone should switch to pc or anything... just ranting randomly for no apparant reason)