whats the limit of stereo phasing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
abort

whats the limit of stereo phasing?

Post by abort » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:01 am

I was working with some peaces of work and realized wow this sounds really good in The headphones but dam this is going to sound like crap on the monitors.

My question is, how much stereo phasing can I get away with without loosing the game in the bigger picture here. I know someone will say "well whatever sounds good" but I was wondering if someone could produce some kinda chart or references about phase shifting and how it would be useful in a mix.

I know that stereo manipulation can be useful but its something that I have overlooked in the past ....

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:52 am

180° ?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:54 am

you should read up on what phasing is, there is no formula.
http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/acoustics/phase.htm
looks pretty good.

phase is a very very small shift in time, smaller than the period of a single sine wave. in a signal like a song there are many sine waves at once (millions) so applying a small shift to all of them at once affects them all differently.

yes, use your ears.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:59 am

SimonPHC wrote:180° ?
359°, at 360° you're back at 0°

thanks for the "°" I copied it from your post, how the hell did you write that?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:02 am

exactly. its a very arbitrary thing, it will depend on on the frequency content of whatever you are listening to... usually (in studio situations) phase flip will change deconstructive interference. but it dont think that is your problem

is it the common problem of " it sounds shite on monitors after making on headfones??" i think that headfones in general lend themselves to that, because there can be little stereo placement perception, and a false bass response

abort

Post by abort » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:12 am

stjohn wrote:exactly. its a very arbitrary thing, it will depend on on the frequency content of whatever you are listening to... usually (in studio situations) phase flip will change deconstructive interference. but it dont think that is your problem

is it the common problem of " it sounds shite on monitors after making on headfones??" i think that headfones in general lend themselves to that, because there can be little stereo placement perception, and a false bass response
yep ..sometimes I can create a whole other world inside those dam headphones but it sounds like shit on the monitors.

Can I just put a utility plug in and call it a day? joking, joking!!!

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:24 am

i know it oh too well :)

i think sometimes tho, that whatever u have produced on phones, needs just a bit of tweeking, before it resembles what u remember. some level changes, and in drastic situations, things need to be totally redone. this is life tho

maybe some advice would be, do not write for bass too often on headfones...
if you are writing bass heavy music. it is too hard to call, for me anyway :) i know mastering engineers on phones only!!! i still caant believe it
Last edited by stjohn on Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:24 am

use the utility plug from time to time to bring the panning down to zero (basically sums the right and left to center) if it sounds fine there then you are safe, if there are serious phase problems it'll change drastically and sometimes things will disappear entirely in the mix.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

daniel_grieff

Post by daniel_grieff » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:54 am

Tone Deft wrote:
SimonPHC wrote:180° ?
359°, at 360° you're back at 0°

thanks for the "°" I copied it from your post, how the hell did you write that?
Shift + alt + 8 (mac os X)

That gets the °°°°°°°°!

dam

Johnisfaster

Re: whats the limit of stereo phasing?

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:17 am

abort wrote:I was working with some peaces of work and realized wow this sounds really good in The headphones but dam this is going to sound like crap on the monitors.

My question is, how much stereo phasing can I get away with without loosing the game in the bigger picture here. I know someone will say "well whatever sounds good" but I was wondering if someone could produce some kinda chart or references about phase shifting and how it would be useful in a mix.

I know that stereo manipulation can be useful but its something that I have overlooked in the past ....
just to make sure you understand this (you might, but I just wanna make sure) that a wide stereo spectrum doesn't necessarily mean you have any phasing problems
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:28 am

I guess we have crazy keyboard layouts here in Belgium. the ° is just shift + ) on our azerty keyboards.

on topic: watch out with phasing issues in the bass end of the spectrum, they might not be printable on vinyl.

abort

Post by abort » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:12 am

SimonPHC wrote:I guess we have crazy keyboard layouts here in Belgium. the ° is just shift + ) on our azerty keyboards.

on topic: watch out with phasing issues in the bass end of the spectrum, they might not be printable on vinyl.
I think your right about this. Not so much vinyl, they can work that out them selves :D but the lower end of the mix gets effected the most. the higher shstuff I suppose could do whatever it wants to.

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:13 pm

SimonPHC wrote:I guess we have crazy keyboard layouts here in Belgium. the ° is just shift + ) on our azerty keyboards.

Find some interesting comment on that in an interview I made with a mastering engineer: http://www.monolake.de/interviews/mastering.html
( the statement about the vinyl is rather at the end of the text .. )

Robert

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:12 pm

Robert Henke wrote:Find some interesting comment on that in an interview I made with a mastering engineer.

Robert
very interesting indeed!
is this the guy that does Sleeparchive and/or Klockworks? I like that mastering on those vinyls.

abort

Post by abort » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:38 pm

"""People should not the f..k bother about that, they should make the music the way they feel it should sound like!!!!"""

:D