* routing VSTs *

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bigbonthabeat

* routing VSTs *

Post by bigbonthabeat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:43 pm

I have watched the Ask Video for Ableton and also read the manual, but i can't get my head around the concept of using different midi inputs and outputs in Ableton.

I want to be able to use the different channels on Hypersonic, Kontakt, etc to save CPU when using plug ins.

Does anyone have something that I can read or maybe can explain it to me so i can understand it better? A video would be nice :D

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:59 pm

You're not going to save CPU if you are using all software, except possibly syning 2 or more computers. If you want to save CPU then you are going to need to use hardware gear....or a dedicated DSP box like a Receptor, Powercore, UAD-2 box, etc. You're talking a minimum $1000 investment for any of those things.

Anybody can feel free to correct me here.

bigbonthabeat

Post by bigbonthabeat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:03 pm

beats me wrote:You're not going to save CPU if you are using all software, except possibly syning 2 or more computers. If you want to save CPU then you are going to need to use hardware gear....or a dedicated DSP box like a Receptor, Powercore, UAD-2 box, etc. You're talking a minimum $1000 investment for any of those things.

Anybody can feel free to correct me here.
yea, you'll save CPU with hardware, but I WILL be saving CPU if I only open 1 instance of Hypersonic and use 10 channels on that instead of opening 10 different Hypersonics...

I just want to see a video of somone hooking it up...I saw the ASK video but it was kind of confusing...

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:30 am

Good point, but I haven't done any multi-channel routing so maybe somebody else on here will step up and help you out.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:10 am

have you tried the external instrument plug-in? you could try multiple tracks with one on each set to a different one of VSTs output, or you could rack a few of them together and handle all of it inside one rack

Noel

Post by Noel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:06 am

This is how I set up my sample tank for multi part working.

I'd love to be able to reduce this to an instrument rack, but you can't because they don't support multiple input vsts - which is pathetic (Abes - please fix this!!!).

Noel has left the building!

bigbonthabeat

Post by bigbonthabeat » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:11 am

Noel wrote:This is how I set up my sample tank for multi part working.

I'd love to be able to reduce this to an instrument rack, but you can't because they don't support multiple input vsts - which is pathetic (Abes - please fix this!!!).

thanks for posting this awsome pic...but you don't use audio tracks along with the midi (for applying separate effects)?

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:51 am

I can't imagine this works any different to BATTERY..
Create the midi tracks like in the picture..
Now create as many audio tracks as you need.10 :? ?
Go to the audio in box in each audio track and select Hypersonic.
A second box will now appear below on the track and you should be able to select a virtual input from there.

You should probably also check that you have hypersonic set up as a multi out.
Some VST need to be configured, for example you can often choose how many mono or stereo pairs you want..
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud