Novation Nocturn and Live integration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
baseinstinct

Novation Nocturn and Live integration

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:29 am

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= by djsynchro helps implement instant mappings functionality on Nocturn. Many thanks!!!

I followed the instructions and got Nocturn to work as a midi device. But I can't get Nocturn to reflect changes in Live.

Here are my midi settings
http://www.wrzuta.pl/obraz/4oPAWkfy8z/

But according to the Novation answerbase

"
Since Live allows you to specify the Automap MIDI port as a remote output, MIDI feedback will work correctly when using the Automap MIDI Client to control Live and the encoder and button LEDs on the Nocturn will reflect any parameter changes made with the mouse or automation."

So it should be possible!!

Has anyone made it?

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:03 am

Set in and out to "remote" and "automap Midi" like you would for any controller. Also when you load up the instant mappings (and any other Midi maps you make) if you rename it in the GUI (top left) and do "set as default control map" it will always start up with the Midi mappings.

There are 11 video's on YouTube (search novation nocturn) that are really helpful too.

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:31 am

I have similar problems and wonder whether the automap file is windows only. I am on MAC. The automap server also gives me a warning that the file is not correct for the current client.

Should the file also work for MAC?
Life is made of stories not atoms

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:49 pm

djsynchro wrote:Set in and out to "remote" and "automap Midi" like you would for any controller. Also when you load up the instant mappings (and any other Midi maps you make) if you rename it in the GUI (top left) and do "set as default control map" it will always start up with the Midi mappings.

Done all this right at the beginning. See the picture.
http://www.wrzuta.pl/obraz/4oPAWkfy8z/

Has anybody else managed to have Nocturn reflect moves of Live's
controllers?

BTW, is there a deducated Novation forum?

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:02 pm

Bump

http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase ... php?id=448

Still can't get it to control Live and the encoder and button LEDs on the Nocturn will reflect any parameter changes made with the mouse or automation.

Please.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:08 am

The Nocturn is a new product and Novation is still fixing bugs. You can try to download the latest beta here:

http://mail.focusrite.com/beta/index.ph ... ase&id=101
It can now also remember all your MIDI mappings and how you named so they are all there when you open Live.

I know that "beta" sounds scary but this is quite a small piece of code I have the latest version (it's already the 2nd beta I tried) and it's the best yet.

If you still can't get it to work call or email Novation support.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:10 am

Thanks, I will try. By the description the issue is not dealt with, though (I've had build 1188.

I wonder if the fact that Mixer does not work in Live the way it does in Cubase results from AM or AL limitations.

I have seen the Mixer operation work in Nuendo and I got envious ;)

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:18 am

OKi, thanks, I have made it. Encoders work fine and are reflect midi, but buttons... the light gives no information about the Live's button's state, neither during recording, nor playback :(

Besides, when assigned to Solo, you have to press a button twice make it work, while with Mute it's normal (??). In neither case does Noctrun's button's light prove to be of any use.

I hope these issues are going to be dealt with.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to post these observations in Ableton's Bugs Forum and to notify Novation of the thread?

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:54 pm

Jeroen wrote:I have similar problems and wonder whether the automap file is windows only. I am on MAC. The automap server also gives me a warning that the file is not correct for the current client.

Should the file also work for MAC?
Automap for Nocturn seems to be build in the newest Live update for Macs (7.09 or something).
Anyway on mac the file goes at user/library/preferences/live/user remote scripts.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:17 pm

DO I understand you correctly> Does the current Live 7 enable full mixer functionality to Nocturn?

Blurr

Post by Blurr » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:59 am

I have noticed the Nocturn buttons will light if the MIDI CC value is anything but 0 However many of LIVEs controls including 'Solo' require that the step value on the Nocturn be 0 - so the Nocturn CC value allways returns to 0 and LED off.

Here's my problem :?:
Has anyone else tried to set specific CC Min Max values ? I get weird results. I'm sure the problem is with the Automap Universal Server - Current Ver 2.1.1234.7 

Even the default button config is wrong ! >Max:1 Min:0 Step:1< should toggle between 0 & 1 but it actually toggles between 0 & 127

Setting >Max:16 Min:16 Step:1< or >Max:16 Min:17 Step:1< produced junk.

My goal was to set each of 4 Nocturn buttons to select a different range of a Chain Selector.
1=CC7_16 2=CC7_48 3=CC7_80 4=CC7_104
Should have been easy but it's currently impossible.

Automap is accurately reflecting the MIDI codes being sent & LIVE is following these codes.

No reply yet from Novation.

I also wish it could send NOTE data so I could send Mackie codes :-(

Blurr

Post by Blurr » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:49 pm

Whoops, missed the new MIDI notes feature in Automap. :-) Cool !!

When I updated the Automap server in hopes of fixing my Min-Max problem I failed to notice that it now supports MIDI notes. I've been playing around with some Mackie control codes. Cool, I originally hoped it would do this.

Of course I've now seen 2 BSOD !!! each happened when executing Nocturn functions, so this has me a little nervous.

Blurr

Post by Blurr » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:10 pm

Here's the reponse from Novation, quick and informative I thought.

Hi Dez,

Thanks for the email.

As you are aware, the Nocturn is designed to control plug-ins specifically and the Automap Client feature is an added bonus feature. This feature is in the early stage of development, and our developers are aware of this limitation, which will be improve in future updates.

>Even the default does not do what it says: Max=1 Min=0 but it will toggle >between 127 & 0 I could go on but this should be enough.

The max and min value do not actually correspond to midi value. It is a ratio across 0-127, for example:

max 1, min 0, step 1, will toggle between 0 and 127; max 2, min 0, step 1, will toggle between 0, 64, 127; max 4, min 0, step 1, will toggle between 0, 32, 64, 95, 127;

likewise, max 127, min 0, step 127, will toggle between 0 and 127 as well.

>What I actually tring to do was set several buttons each transmit a
>>specific value, cc7_24 cc7_60 cc7_88 cc7_120

Here's the best workaround I can offer:

CC7_24: max 212, min 1, step 8 (there are other value send as well)
CC7_60: max 255, min 1, step 120 (you will out a 120 as well)
CC7_88: max 127, min 0, step 88
CC7_120: max 127, min 0, step 120

Just to re-iterate, this feature should be improve in the future.

Thanks in advance for the understanding.

Best regards,

Andy Leung
Novation Support

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:33 pm

I wonder if this solution gives any theoretical advantages which could be utilised later on in, say, Automap 4.