Refurbished Macbook pro - share your experience please

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bicarbone

Refurbished Macbook pro - share your experience please

Post by bicarbone » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Hi all,

so this refurbished macbook pro is winking at me on the apple web site, it's the current 2.5 Ghz model and the price is 20% off.

Shall I take the plunge? Or will I get 20% more issues with a refurbished machine?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience...

Will it be like:

:roll: :arrow: :D :arrow: 8)

or

:D :arrow: :roll: :arrow: :(

mekon

Post by mekon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:39 pm

I bought a refurb MBP about a year ago
Its been great
Never looked back
Personally I would never buy new again tbh
YMMV
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz - lots of ModCan modular - and a talent for making a racket

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:49 pm

running on a refurbed mbp right now also.

no issues.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:57 pm

There's an argument that you're safer with a refurb than brand new.

All the Apple refurbs get the once over, tested, cleaned, tidied up etc before they are sold - something that new models don't get as they just roll of the automated production line in to boxes.

I had a refurb iPod, which I'm certain was brand new - not a mark on it. Plus a refurb MacBook, this had been used but nothing major wrong with it (a few light scratches and the rubber feet were a little dirty). Not had any problems with either.

The only thing I would say is to do your homework when buying refurbs from Apple. Some are really good value and some are taking the piss. So check the spec carefully, compare it to the latest models and then make a judgement as to whether it is good value or not.

Sounds like the one you're looking at is a current model which are normally discounted by 18% or so in which case you can't go wrong. Though you can get some real bargains when the product range is updated (or ripped off).

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:29 pm

Thanks a lot fellows!

I'm really amazed how quick you've been to respond.

I really need this puter now, feel tired looking at the spinning beach ball on my old powerbook, so here you go little credit card, do your job now, don't be shy, we'll talk about it later...

Thanks again,

Martin

mohler

Post by mohler » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:45 pm

doc holiday wrote:running on a refurbed mbp right now also.

no issues.
+1 with a MBP

Had to send back my wife's Macbook cause it wasn't a refurb, but it was when it came back.

My MBP is the business
rolymiller.com
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHz, MacBookPro 2.2+2.4GHz, Macbook 2.0GHz 2GB, Metric Halo ULN/2, UltraLite, Ensemble, Axiom 49, Logic Studio, Live 6,

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:49 pm

Refurb MBP and MB here.

Perfect.

Tohtruck

Post by Tohtruck » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:54 am

I don't mean to thread hijack but I'm sort of in the same position. I plan on getting a laptop soon and I'm leaning towards getting a refurb.

How imperative do you mac owners think it is to get the Applecare protection plan?

I called Apple today to inquire about the refurbs. The dude I spoke to highly suggested the refurbs over buying new for the value. Unfortunately, if you're a student, you don't get the student discount on refurbs nor do you get the free iPod back to school promotional with a refurb Mac.

I also brought up the issue of the infamous fw400 Agere/Lucent chipsets not playing nice with certain interfaces. He said he was unaware such a problem existed (I suppose they're all supposed to act unaware of such an issue) but he did say there was an issue with Leopard and Pro-Tools not working together.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:30 am

If you buy an Apple laptop, you MUST buy Applecare. I have not ever personally known someone who has owned an Apple laptop and not used Applecare at least once.

It's an awesome warranty. The case on my Macbook started cracking and there was some discoloration on the wrist pads. I sent it in on Friday the 13th, and it is scheduled to be back to me on Tuesday or Wednesday with a completely new case. When I used an iBook, the logic board needed to be replaced, and the turnaround was again less than a week.

Applecare rules.

mohler

Post by mohler » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:21 am

the_planet wrote:If you buy an Apple laptop, you MUST buy Applecare. I have not ever personally known someone who has owned an Apple laptop and not used Applecare at least once.

It's an awesome warranty. The case on my Macbook started cracking and there was some discoloration on the wrist pads. I sent it in on Friday the 13th, and it is scheduled to be back to me on Tuesday or Wednesday with a completely new case. When I used an iBook, the logic board needed to be replaced, and the turnaround was again less than a week.

Applecare rules.
I've never used apple care and I'm on my 3 mac which is collectively 6.5 years and no apple care.

Having said that my friend uses it the whole time and swears by it.
rolymiller.com
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHz, MacBookPro 2.2+2.4GHz, Macbook 2.0GHz 2GB, Metric Halo ULN/2, UltraLite, Ensemble, Axiom 49, Logic Studio, Live 6,

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:14 am

I'm thinking about getting Applecare, but a bit later since it's damn expensive here in Switzerland.
As for the firewire chipset, my own apple dude was quite clueless on the phone too. I just cross my fingers and hope it will work smoothly with my ultralite.

cheers

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:25 am

I REALLY need to get a new Mac-top... off to the refurb shop I go!

(just out of interest, can anyone advise me on a guide price for a 12" G4 Powerbook 1.5ghz/1.25gb ram. I need to get mine sold before I can think about getting a new Mac!)
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:22 pm

the_planet wrote:If you buy an Apple laptop, you MUST buy Applecare. I have not ever personally known someone who has owned an Apple laptop and not used Applecare at least once.
+2
2 apples have never seen applecare, both are over 5 years old and work perfect. on my new one i've got it.. but i do feel the quality has slipped a little..

as to the student discount.. you can get a refurb for 100$ if you get the current generation.. add the ipod it makes the deals about the same..

however student pricing on apple care is less.. so it might make it about even.

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:31 pm

bicarbone wrote:I'm thinking about getting Applecare, but a bit later since it's damn expensive here in Switzerland.
Check Ebay - I got a half-price AppleCare for my MBP - completely shrink-wrapped. I was a tiny bit worried when it came to registering the code inside it, but it was accepted fine.

With a new Mac, you can buy and register AppleCare any time within the first year of ownership - not sure how the refurb aspect affects that.

Ruud

Post by Ruud » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:41 pm

I work for 10 years know with Apple G3, G4, G5, etc
Never used Applecare

No problem. If there's something wrong go to the shop.