All Live/Vista performance problems identified!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
rob lee

Post by rob lee » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:30 am

Vista sucks full stop! Live crashes every session using vista...No such problems using Windows Xp whatsoever... :wink:
Rob

Timur

Post by Timur » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:54 am

Some things to clarify:

1. I did not blackmail Ableton Support. That would be a criminal offence. I notified them that I haven't got supportive response about specific issues for upto 6 months and that I will wait another week to get any informations on the matter before I will write to their managment. It is common practice and the good right of customers to let the managment of a company know about what they see as shortcomings of the support-division. I do not like to be publically called blackmailing someone at Ableton. Anyway, for the sake of getting back to "layed back" conversation I will from now on just ignore that statement.

2. I received a positive Email by Dom and will henceforth try to solve both my issues with Support/Ableton representatives and Live as a product via Email with him. Additionally I will try to get authoritative informations on how to report issues to Ableton Support and how to ask for help in finding solutions. In the past I have gotten rather divergent statements from different Ableton representatives. Additionally I will ask for instructions how to make Ableton Support members escalate a case when I get a feeling that the person I am talking to lacks technical prowess and understanding of the issues at hand.

3. This thread is not a love-hate Vista thread, but a bug-discussion thread. In this specific thread it is not my problem if other users are unable to properly configure their Vista setup. I have put up a very thorough thread about Vista on the General board, that leaves plenty of room for intelligent discussion and reasonable arguments.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=vista

4. I reported my finding about possible bugs in Sonar's MMCSS implementation on the Cakewalk forum. I am not a registered user of Sonar and wont become one. So if any Sonar user is around, feel free to discuss that on the Cakewalk forum and report it to Cakewalk's technical support.

kleine

Post by kleine » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:48 pm

1. I did not blackmail Ableton Support. That would be a criminal offence. I notified them that I haven't got supportive response about specific issues for upto 6 months and that I will wait another week to get any informations on the matter before I will write to their managment. It is common practice and the good right of customers to let the managment of a company know about what they see as shortcomings of the support-division. I do not like to be publically called blackmailing someone at Ableton. Anyway, for the sake of getting back to "layed back" conversation I will from now on just ignore that statement.
/you reported your issues, the support did file a report for the ableton development and it will handled when the development schedule allows it - means in your special case there is not too much the support can do. This has nothing to do with "shortcomings" of the support-division but with the delicacy of your problems.
It´s your good right to be unhappy about this situation and it´s also your good right to write your disappointment about the ableton support and/or the ableton performance on your Vista setup to the ableton management.
2. I received a positive Email by Dom and will henceforth try to solve both my issues with Support/Ableton representatives and Live as a product via Email with him. Additionally I will try to get authoritative informations on how to report issues to Ableton Support and how to ask for help in finding solutions. In the past I have gotten rather divergent statements from different Ableton representatives. Additionally I will ask for instructions how to make Ableton Support members escalate a case when I get a feeling that the person I am talking to lacks technical prowess and understanding of the issues at hand.
/See: http://www.ableton.com/pages/support_contact
Please keep in mind that the Ableton Support does help you with all kinds of problems with your Live application but not with your Vista Operating System.
This does not mean we ignore your problems with running Live under Vista but the problems you reported can not be solved by the support but by the development. You seem to mix this up.

In general: The support does help you to get your installation up and running, helps
you with any question about Live related content, authorizations, devices, soundcard/latency set-ups and so forth and files reports in case you experience any bugs to our development. All this has been done in your case. I can also understand
your frustration about the reported problems with your setup without having received immediate solutions. Again, this has to do with the delicacy of your problems.

I whole-heartly hope for the benefit of all that your issues can be solved with the ableton representatives.

Best,
Christian

Timur

Post by Timur » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:25 pm

Noel Borthwick, Cakewalk CTO wrote:Hi Timur,

Thanks for the detailed post. I actually meant to warn people about this, since I noticed this issue with the Echo drivers as well. There is absolutely no need to turn on MMCSS at the driver level when using SONAR with MMCSS enabled in Options | Audio | Advanced.
In Vista a thread can register itself with MMCSS only ONCE and it fails when you try and do this multiple times.
Its possible that when a second MMCSS registration is attempted, the failure then causes MMCSS to be turned off completely for that thread.

In SONAR with ASIO or other driver modes, we automatically register all relevent threads to use MMCSS so there is no need for a driver to do this. I'm not sure why driver vendors are setting thread priorities for MMCSS since this is really a host function. You should make sure that MMCSS is NOT enabled at the driver level or bad things <TM> will happen :-)

thanks,
Noel

Timur

Post by Timur » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:00 am

RME Support wrote:Driver 2.896 is now available. The MMCSS setting is stored, and off as default.

http://www.rme-audio.de/download/w2fire_2896.zip
Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME