Wii remote issues, help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
soundtechdan

Wii remote issues, help

Post by soundtechdan » Thu May 15, 2008 12:48 pm

hi

I'm trying to get my wii remote to work in ableton live 7. I'm using wiitomidi to convert the bluetooth signal to midi. I can get the signal into ableton live as I can use midi mapping to control some effects which is cool but not what I want. I want to use it to produce midi so I can play the drums rack.

Can anyone help? I have followed the instructions on wii2midi website,activing the IAC driver, Setting it up in albeton and made sure the bluetooth is on. I have used it in both learning and no learning mode (I don't get what the differences is? but hay).

Anyone help, I don't mind changing wii programs as long as its easier but this one seem the easiest.

cheers

dan

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Thu May 15, 2008 1:55 pm

I used wiitomidi when it first came out, while it worked, I found it a little flaky, not sure have newer version come on in that department, either way I moved on.

I suggest you try OSCulator converts OSC into MIDI, applescript ect

It's really easy to use and very solid.

www.osculator.net

nate_D

Post by nate_D » Tue May 27, 2008 7:29 am

i've been using osculator to change scenes in session view. works great. can't wait to try it in a band situation. now i want to assign filters when i'm turning it (yaw/pitch). how do you assing the midi cc's to control ableton's effects? cause i want to be able to press A (on the controller) to activate the filter then twist the wiimote to change the filter. tried to look it up in the manual for osculator but no luck.
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Tue May 27, 2008 8:04 am

nate_D wrote:i've been using osculator to change scenes in session view. works great. can't wait to try it in a band situation. now i want to assign filters when i'm turning it (yaw/pitch). how do you assing the midi cc's to control ableton's effects? cause i want to be able to press A (on the controller) to activate the filter then twist the wiimote to change the filter. tried to look it up in the manual for osculator but no luck.
First you need to assign what cc you want OSCulator to send out for each plane, you can assign, cc and midi channel in OSCulator to

Pitch, yaw, roll. or x, y, z

Then you have to open Live and MIDI learn the controls, the only trick is that you must disable all but one control in OSCulator each time you MIDI learn because the wii will always be sending out cc's on active channels and this will confuse the MIDI learn if more than one is active. Just use the tick boxes beside the controls in OSCulator.

Also make sure you have the control you want to learn selected before you hit apple+m as it will be immediately assigned to the selected control.

Other than that it's just standard MIDI learn.

nate_D

Post by nate_D » Tue May 27, 2008 3:41 pm

beatpoet wrote:
nate_D wrote:i've been using osculator to change scenes in session view. works great. can't wait to try it in a band situation. now i want to assign filters when i'm turning it (yaw/pitch). how do you assing the midi cc's to control ableton's effects? cause i want to be able to press A (on the controller) to activate the filter then twist the wiimote to change the filter. tried to look it up in the manual for osculator but no luck.
First you need to assign what cc you want OSCulator to send out for each plane, you can assign, cc and midi channel in OSCulator to

Pitch, yaw, roll. or x, y, z

Then you have to open Live and MIDI learn the controls, the only trick is that you must disable all but one control in OSCulator each time you MIDI learn because the wii will always be sending out cc's on active channels and this will confuse the MIDI learn if more than one is active. Just use the tick boxes beside the controls in OSCulator.

Also make sure you have the control you want to learn selected before you hit apple+m as it will be immediately assigned to the selected control.

Other than that it's just standard MIDI learn.

ahhhhh. :D thanks man! that's exactly what i needed to hear. going to try it now.
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

nate_D

Post by nate_D » Thu May 29, 2008 8:55 am

how do you assign the different hits in impulse to do different sounds with the accelerators? i want my nunchuck to do the snare and the wiimote to be the kick so i can play it out in ableton. i figured out how to make both of them to be the kick but i couldn't figure out how to assign the snare to the nunchuck. it's been a lot of fun so far just using the wiimote to move around the session view.

soundtechdan

Post by soundtechdan » Thu May 29, 2008 3:09 pm

I'm having the same problem I want to play the drums with it but I can only produce the one note. I did get a second note but I have no idea how I did it.

soundtechdan

Post by soundtechdan » Thu May 29, 2008 4:09 pm

hi again

sorry played around with it more and got the impulse to work not exactly as I wanted. I use the keyboard section instead for example i used button B as keys S on the keybaord. The only problem is I can't use the midi parts if I use the keyboard.

help?

matthewvenn

annoying to use wiimote as midi controller?

Post by matthewvenn » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:43 pm

I have a problem with this because

* annoying to keep changing controller numbers in osculator
* annoying to keep disabling accelerometers in osculator to learn new controller in live

is there an easy way round this?

I made a puredata patch for use with osculator if anyone is interested. Check my slightly more in depth post here:

http://www.mattvenn.net/2008/09/05/oscu ... eton-live/

tuscland

Post by tuscland » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:27 pm

Hey Matthew,

Thanks for contributing a Pd path that works with OSCulator!
It looks fine.

However, you can do it all inside OSCulator:

If you want to change the MIDI CC with a button of the Wiimote, just use the Presets. The preset manager is a toolbar item that you should see by default.

Create a new preset, and change the MIDI CC for the action desired.
Now, in your presets, use the Preset Change event and assign to a button in order to swap between presets, it's that easy.

Disabling the accelerometers when using the learn function in live is easy as well. Select the accelerometer you want to solo, and hit Command-R. This will solo this accelerometer only. When you're finished, hit Command-R again to come back to the original checkboxes configuration.

If you have any question, don't hesitate to contact me.

Best,
Cam

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:35 pm

Does this work with wiifit?

tuscland

Post by tuscland » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:41 pm

yes, the version I released just two hours ago does.
it's only basic right now, but it does work well, and I'm planning to add more features regarding the wii fit in the future.

note: press the red sync button to pair it with your computer.

cheers!
cam

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:57 pm

nice! cheers :D

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:25 am

we use the wii-osculator-live-combo a lot now on concerts. This is a video from the first attempts at home. Note that Carsten didn't touch the computer one time, all triggers and effects come from the Wii:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF0_pgQvbKA

and here's a video from one of our last live-shows, all the efx on the voices and also triggering the different scenes is done on the Wii.
http://vimeo.com/1672780

Even Marti, who does the visuals, is using a Wii to control his vj-patch (he uses as well a trigger finger). He doesn't use osculator though, he programmed everything himself in open frameworks. boah ...

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi gents,
any idea why Live won't recognize my Osculator? I had Osculator and Live up and running last winter, but now as I tried to install this on my new lappie, the osculator won't appear in Lives drop box. Wii is paired and I can see the lights flashing in osc. I also tried the preset patches for live, but osculator remained greyed.

Cheers for help