Motu Ultralite + Live 7.0.3 --> nasty white noise

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
flippo2007

Motu Ultralite + Live 7.0.3 --> nasty white noise

Post by flippo2007 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:03 am

Hi!

I´ve bought a MOTU Ultralite, installed the actual drivers and made my first try with the Headphone-Outs and Itunes.... worked well. (All on an IMac)

Then i made all the settings in Live, started an arrangement with Midi-Lanes and rewirded Reason.... the first seconds were fine..then it started to crackle and then came the loud white noise from Hell...no rhytmic pattern noticable..just white noise.

I turned it off and on again...then the songs rhytmic pattern mixed into the noise...but all in all: Sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh......

What could have gone wrong?

Maybe the drivers? I installed the package from the CD and then downloaded the newest drivers from Motu and installed them afterwards... could it be that the old and the new driver collide? Should´nt the new one replace the old one? The interfaces firmware is the actual one...

Hmm...please help me with suggestions...

Thanks, Flip

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:26 am

No idea :wink: , but maybe more info can help:

- Does it happen with all your Live sets - even if you make a very simple, one-track, no effects, no rewire, set?
- If that gives you problems, does the test tone from Live preferences sound ok?
- Does it play back fine with the IMac's built-in soundcard?
- Are you getting any CPU or Hard disk peaks in Live?
- Tried switching your Mac's airport off?

flippo2007

Post by flippo2007 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:31 am

Hi 8O!

I´ll try all that tonight and be back with further info... thanks for now! :)

Greetz from Vienna,
Flip

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:38 am

Oh, Vienna... :)
If iTunes works ok through it, it does suggest that your Ultralite drivers are ok. I remember, though, when I discovered the Apple Airport bug, that iTunes played ok, while Live and some other audio stuff, like streaming audio from myspace, sounded really glitchy. It confused the hell out of me to begin with. Anyway, good luck with your testing tonight. Might be worth posting all your version numbers - OSX, Live, Ultralite driver, Ultralite firmware - just on the off-chance that it is something driver-related...

flippo2007

Post by flippo2007 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:35 am

Hi again!

Version Numbers are:

Osx 10.5. the latest one
Live 7.0.3
Motu Firmware 1.1.5
Motu Drivers the latest from the Motu site

That does a broken Interface sound like? Could it play a song from ITunes perfectly and totally fail in Live?

Greetz, Flip

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:45 am

As it's playing iTunes ok, I'd be very surprised if the Ultralite is broken. Would suspect something more on the OS X or Live side. Let us know when you've tried with Airport off - hopefully we can rule that out as the cause...

flippo2007

Post by flippo2007 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:08 pm

Hiho! :lol:

As always with computers (more with Pc less with my beloved Macs)...the whole problem has dissolved into nothing...

I came home to my little studio..turned everything on....started the bad bad song in live and everything worked like a charm....

The only thing that could have caused the noise was:

I remember that i turned the sampling rate from 44100 to 96000 ...without closing and reopening live...

I go with 44100 again and it works...

Thank you though for all the help and time,

Greetz, Flip

Und tschüss nach Berlin :roll:

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:13 pm

heh, good to hear it worked out fine in the end. have a nice weekend with your functioning Ultralite :D

flippo2007

Post by flippo2007 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:03 am

Hiho!

Seems like its not over yet.... but i could figure out exactly, what and when it was happening...

I played around in a new Live-project.... i had one lane with a Massive open, playing a clip

...another lane with an Absynth but no clip. I was currently browsing the presets in absynth and playing notes on my Oxygen 8 V2....when:

*) The whole sound on my headphones became glitchy
*) the sound changed into a nasty white noise
*) the in- and output-meters on the display of my ultralite began to go crazy, though i disabled all in- and outputs within lives preferences and had no physical cables plugged in.

hmm..anyone seen something like that before?

Greetz, flip

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:18 am

Hiho!

No not seen that either - is it reproducible? Can you narrow it down to whether it happens just with Absynth or Massive or both? Did you try the airport off suggestion above?

I don't like the sound of *3 with the ultralite's output meters - seems very strange indeed...

flippo2007

Post by flippo2007 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:46 am

Hi!

Its not reproducable....first time it happend, it was a rewired track with reason stuff..the other time it was a simple arrangement with one Absynth and one Massive synth.

What caught my eye were two other things...

1.) When the noise outta´hell came, all the in- and output meters on the motu display went crazy.... when i start the test-sound in Abletons settings, the output-meters on the Motu are displaying a small amount too. Not in the way they do, when the noise comes but theres something...

2.) All the sounds from Ableton, Itunes, etc.. come from the Motu..as i said in the settings.
My system sounds (Mail, Trash Bin, Skype-Calls, etc..) still come from the Imac-Speakers...though i definitley set the outpus to the Motu (even in the system sounds setting in OSX)...

Greetz, Flip

eblomquist

Ultralite glitching

Post by eblomquist » Sun May 04, 2008 10:03 pm

I've been experiencing terrible glitching with my ultrallite and Live 7.0.5. I discovered this thread, turned off airport, and it seems to be fixed, for now.

What gives? is this a Live problem or an OSX problem? Have the Abe been in touch with Apple on this one?

It's really bad...
I teach at Berklee. MacBook Pro, Push, APC-40, Ultralite, iOS devices, Axiom 61, BX8A's, LIVE 9 Suite, MicroBrute, KORG MS-20, AKAI S-612, GUILD STARFIRE II BASS/STARFIRE III GUITAR.
http://www.underwaterairport.com "Kuhli Loach" on Facebook

flippo2007

Post by flippo2007 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:10 am

Hiho!

After the third noise-attack without any reason, i broought my Ultralite back and got myself a Focusrite Saffire.... it sounds great and worked like a charm from the first moment on.

I´m happy now, cause i dont have to waste my time with crazy driver/interface - issues anymore.

Greetz, Flip