Anyone Midi Beat Clock Live up to MPC1000

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

Anyone Midi Beat Clock Live up to MPC1000

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:01 pm

I've tried a couple time successfully however I'm not really feeling it - I'd rather run the Redrum for my drum parts but I don't know

Thoughts?
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:36 pm

I've been considering this... Is the nature of the MPC 1000 Sequencer that bothers you? I don't have any experience with the MPCs, and despite the hype, the interface seemed a little bit obtuse to me when I demo'ed an MPC 2000XL at the store

To me, the coolest little drum seq accesories for Live seem to be those Korg Electribes or something like a Yamaha RS7000. I like the clear xox pattern seq layout with visual feedback and easy mute / soloing. With the Electribes, you can see what tracks are playing what sounds easily bc they light up when they are playing.

gaspode

yo...

Post by gaspode » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:19 pm

I picked up the electribe sx/mx and have to say that as a pair they are mighty fine... it is pretty easy to tap out a pattern if you want, or if you need to play a part on the drum 'pads' you can do it by hand...

I also agree, the mpc stuff is a bit overkill... *if* you are already using live... and you only need a pattern sequencer. however, if you need fx (which kind of blow on the mpc anyways)... or you need a fuller feature sequencer, then they aren't too bad...

if I had to pick between the mx or the sx though... I'd certainly take the sx, while the mx has some great sounds, it isn't nearly as flexible as the sx is, and you can get some pretty bizarre effects from the sx if that is your thing...

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:25 pm

Yea, I'm seriously considering the SX-1 mk ii or the ESX-1. The "sampling" and sample playback capabilities are great.

I had an ER-1 mk ii for a couple of weeks and realized that I loved the interface but needed something with sample playback capabilities.

drush

Post by drush » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:45 pm

is the SX all sample based or does it have onboard sounds as well?

gaspode

hehe...

Post by gaspode » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:46 pm

that's exactly what people I know who've gotten and loved the electribes have said... the interface is great, but wished they'd gotten sampling capabilities... especially since these things cannot take any kind of sample board upgrade or the like...

gaspode

all samples

Post by gaspode » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:49 pm

drush wrote:is the SX all sample based or does it have onboard sounds as well?
somewhat surprisingly... the ESX is all samples... you can delete *all* of the onboard samples and put exactly what you want on it... plus there has been some fairly interesting community development for being able to grab samples off of the device to take what was delivered as well...

plus another handy feature is that you can use it to sample itself... you honestly cannot go wrong there... and the tubes, while somewhat gimmicky, can be used for any output the device produces... as well as being applied to any offboard gear you have to pretty nice effect.

Finally, one of the cooler features you can setup on the esx is an audio input 'gate', that'll allow you to have the input gated on/off to the beat of whatever you are playing... you cannot do this on the EMX...

thetonewrecker

Post by thetonewrecker » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:50 pm

Current setup while playing out Live pa.

Ableton is the masterclock which is controlled by a knob on my UC-33. Clock runs out of Ableton into MPC1000 set to slave. MPC1000 then runs over to other synths/drum machines out the "B" output. As ableton speeds up, or slows down everything else runs along smooth.

I have the MPC1000 pads (output A merged in with UC-33) all mapped to individual cells in the session view so I can trigger pieces on the fly and only have to advance the midi channel to access another 64 pads, etc. I keep track 1 as the designated Ableton trigger track and don't write sequences to it.

I can quickly switch to "sequence" trigger with the pads on the MPC and change up whatever the attached external synths are playing easily.

It's worked flawlessly.

gaspode

another note...

Post by gaspode » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:53 pm

the pads on the mpc1000 are velocity sensitive, while the electribes are not...

as a quick question thetonewrecker... how do you switch the pads from triggering in live, to triggering patterns/samples on the mpc1000? just curious as this seems like a pretty cool feature.

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:53 pm

yep, esx-1 is where it's at

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:18 pm

thetonewrecker wrote:Current setup while playing out Live pa.

Ableton is the masterclock which is controlled by a knob on my UC-33. Clock runs out of Ableton into MPC1000 set to slave. MPC1000 then runs over to other synths/drum machines out the "B" output. As ableton speeds up, or slows down everything else runs along smooth.

I have the MPC1000 pads (output A merged in with UC-33) all mapped to individual cells in the session view so I can trigger pieces on the fly and only have to advance the midi channel to access another 64 pads, etc. I keep track 1 as the designated Ableton trigger track and don't write sequences to it.

I can quickly switch to "sequence" trigger with the pads on the MPC and change up whatever the attached external synths are playing easily.

It's worked flawlessly.
ToneWrecker comin' through - so your running Midi Clock out to the MPC but at the same time using the MPC to Trigger clips in Ableton Live via a midi channel? That's pretty tyte -

So my next question is how does the Latency play into all that? or maybe I should ask are you adjusting the latency settings in Live Pref?
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:24 pm

@gaspode - On the MPC1000 I have the cursor over on the midi channel "1A" I just have to turn the dial to advance it up or back down. A/B/C/D are all mapped to incrementing note numbers in the MPC1000 and on the Ableton screen. So I can pound away on the pads triggering all sorts of stuff in ableton. Now whatever other tracks I have playing within the MPC I can access by using the "track mute" screen so each pad then toggles the various pieces on or off, or the "next sequence" moves to other track layouts. After switching it up I just hit "main" and come back to that main page on the MPC where I can keep the cursor on that Track 1 midi channel selector to control Ableton again.

It's very fast to bounce between screens when you know that track 1 is always your ableton control.

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:31 am

Can you help me to understand what is so great about the MPC?

lifeline..

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:21 pm

I've used the MPC's for so long that they are very fast to work on with my external equipment for sequencing. I like using the rubber pads instead of pressing plastic keys for triggering sounds, it's just a great feel. I simply find that ideas and songs grow easily from these units as I've had them over the years and they make performing out at gigs an easy translation from how I work in the studio.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:33 pm

Thanks. Is the learning curve pretty steep to get fluid with the sequencer?