Coping with rejection - The Last gig

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dallas!

Coping with rejection - The Last gig

Post by dallas! » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:52 pm

Well the bar me and my DJ partner play in is doing a new promotion thing and it looks like our days there are over, having played for yearly 10years but only ever as a hobby at bars (and 4 years at this bar) and the occasional club I'd just started to get back into DJing again and really enjoying banging techno/electro.

Now it looks like it's all over.......whats next (suggestions please), what have you done in the same situation? I guess I should really try the production route now, shame, as I'd just bought a pair of CDJ's.

oh well

dallas!

jngpng

Post by jngpng » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:00 pm

Find another gig...

I don't know what it's like down in London, but I've never had a problem finding gigs in Manchester or Edinburgh/Glasgow. Surely you must have built up a fair few contacts over the years?
----------------
Macbook Pro, Fireface 400, Analog Shit

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:15 pm

keep on

vinny_vinyl

Post by vinny_vinyl » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:13 pm

Don't get into production just because this happened to you... do it bacause thats the direction you want to go in.

As for the gig... whats the big deal?

move on
:roll:
One Time For The Underground

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:19 pm

If you've been doing it for 10 years, that;s quite a bit of experience you can use to promote yourself for a new gig.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:20 pm

It's an opportunity to move forward and be creative!

Make DJing SO much more than simply beatmatching (which my 12 year old can do) playing someone else's music while twiddling cheesy filter sweeps and EQ cuts. Play an instrument or two, write your own tracks, perform video and/or lighting, do live looping, get interactive with the crowd.. there's so much you can do!

Be different... carve your own path...

evernaut

Re: Coping with rejection - The Last gig

Post by evernaut » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:33 pm

dallas! wrote:Well the bar me and my DJ partner play in is doing a new promotion thing and it looks like our days there are over, having played for yearly 10years but only ever as a hobby at bars (and 4 years at this bar) and the occasional club I'd just started to get back into DJing again and really enjoying banging techno/electro.

Now it looks like it's all over.......whats next (suggestions please), what have you done in the same situation? I guess I should really try the production route now, shame, as I'd just bought a pair of CDJ's.

oh well

dallas!
I know what it's like - from the financial POV too - to lose a gig, but four years is a good run, and you should welcome the news..
I've not gigged much lately (I'm a singer/guitar player) by choice, and I've found that my recordings have really improved...not only do new songs not get over-hyped up in delivery to please a crowd, the latent energy that's not being directed to performing gets down on tape/disk - where it ultimately matters!!

That's the lure of gigs - they ARE great fun ( usually) and you get your jollies for 10 years, but then only have your - and your audiences' recollections.

Take the time to make a rekkerd, I say!

jasefos

Re: Coping with rejection - The Last gig

Post by jasefos » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:01 am

evernaut wrote:
dallas! wrote:Well the bar me and my DJ partner play in is doing a new promotion thing and it looks like our days there are over, having played for yearly 10years but only ever as a hobby at bars (and 4 years at this bar) and the occasional club I'd just started to get back into DJing again and really enjoying banging techno/electro.

oh well

dallas!
I know what it's like - from the financial POV too - to lose a gig, but four years is a good run, and you should welcome the news..
I've not gigged much lately (I'm a singer/guitar player) by choice, and I've found that my recordings have really improved...not only do new songs not get over-hyped up in delivery to please a crowd, the latent energy that's not being directed to performing gets down on tape/disk - where it ultimately matters!!

That's the lure of gigs - they ARE great fun ( usually) and you get your jollies for 10 years, but then only have your - and your audiences' recollections.

Take the time to make a rekkerd, I say!

I spent most of the early to late 90s doing Live PA gigs which was awesome fun (most of the time).

Nothing really happened until I started releasing my first records which had some decent songwriting (rather than being instrumental, non-memorable blips/bleeps strewn over a bed of trendy beats).
; )
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS