live 4 loop startpoint

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dinga

live 4 loop startpoint

Post by dinga » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:36 am

Wondering if live 4 will allow to put the startpoint of a loop before the actual looping section? I couldn't find any info on that?

loophead

Post by loophead » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:32 pm

:x Been wanting this since day one ! :x

If they would do this it would elevate so many issues with delay compensation as well as all those times you just need it that way ! Too damn long to list right now ! :cry:

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:45 pm

this deserves a healthy bump.

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:37 pm

Yep, this one is important to me as well. It seems natural for the program.

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:52 pm

I just bumped an old thread in the feature request forum. hopefully this will provoke some kind of feedback...

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:17 am

bump. bump. bump. I've also been asking for this from day one. I can't believe they actually missed this, and I don't understand why it's being pushed back. There are often situations where you just don't want to jump into the loop from beat one measure one, and all these klunky workarounds being proposed are just not in the spirit of Live. Please can we have that? Thank you.

Porpy

Post by Porpy » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:31 am

Robert has posted some info in one of the other threads about some of the changes to the session view where you will be able to program clip behaviour in a session track

for example :
-have multiple versions of a clip with different region points
-set the first clip as a one shot to play the beginning of the audio
-once it finishes playing the next clip (which contains possibly your loop point) will be triggered automatically

sounds like once again ableton have answered the requests but in their own way and taken it much further than the initial request

regards

Paul Binns

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:59 am

Sure, you can accomplish the same thing with this, but why not have both. Moving the loop startpoint outside of the loop region is as intuitive and easy as it gets.

Porpy

Post by Porpy » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:05 am

I cant speak for Ableton, but perhaps its not so easy to program given the way that Live has been built.

With each new version they seem to have addresed so many of our requests but they always seem to do it in a distinctive 'ableton' kind of way.

I have a feeling that this new session view behaviour will be as interesting and inspiring as clip envelopes have turned out to be.

regards

Paul Binns

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:37 am

Cheers Paul

loophead

Post by loophead » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:09 am

Late night ranting...one must have compassion....

Well thats all well and good. We are all excited about the world we are about to enter, hoping it will cover our needs.

But this has been a <not-so fun> disregard and <boy-I-wish-they-would-deal-with-it> omission, as has the inability to loop without warp...'Well you can rename your clip to the tempo of the song so why do you need to have a loop without warp option...because maybe I am altering tempo, maybe I want to work in polyphony ! The last 'clip' omission that I find hard to swallow is not being able to play a clip, set two loop markers, and tell it to loop n-number of times (or until I hit an 'exit loop' button) and then play to the end of the sample.

I mean really. I hope that some of the basics are delt with...one note midi chords instead of a basic arppegiator - oh well !.... we'll soon see what they did not leave out and hope it is enough for a time.

All that said, Ableton is the best application I've ever had the priveledge to use, and I cant wait for 4.

Not enough sleep....

<<Edited so feathers are not so ruffled>> :roll:
Last edited by loophead on Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the8bitdeity

Post by the8bitdeity » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:44 am

"But this has been a blatant disregard and inexcusable omission,"

indeed, it's right up there with the romans nailing jesus to a tree, and Russian Communism. I don't see why we tolerate this shit.

loophead

Post by loophead » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:29 pm

Some things should have been addressed long ago. These three functions have been brought up and brought up and disregarded.

You dont like my language read my dissclaimer again. Or shall I delete it ? No problem...

I'm angry because if the easy stuff (and these three are easy) does not get delt with, it never gets delt with.

I've been on the otherside. When a crew of engineers decide its not an issue because of some percieved workaround its game over. Problem with those is that they never see the causal limitations build up.

Markers Outside Sample (add silence)

Loop Without Warp (are they afraid of how this will read in the press...)

Nested Loop inside a 'one-shot'

I see these as very important. and I'm not alone in this. We have to jump through hoops to find work-arounds which just don't cut it.

Please realize that I dont think that the Abletons are to blame for this. It is a thought and engineering process which is by deffinition an organic one. What I mean is that the omissions themselves are bad.

The lack of them causes me as a user to be pulled out of my creative flow too much. The fact that almost everything else is spot on makes it more visable. It is like watching a movie with one truly bad actor who keeps pulling you out of the story.

Hey I need a seat in this car...but we've given you the ability to park sideways ! Yes thank you that is f in amazing how could anyone live without this ! You guys rule BUT I still need a seat in this car....

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:42 pm

loophead wrote:
Markers Outside Sample (add silence)
You can do this with an unlinked volume envelope, I think.

Select clip volume in the clip envelpe window, unlink, type in a new length for the total sample, then draw a volume envelope that goes along at zero for a while, then jumps up to full for the bit of the sample you want to play, and then jumps down to zero again. Position the start and end markers anywhere in the "silence" at either end.

Voila? or am I missing something?

cheers
paddy
MBP M1Max | Sonoma 14.5 | Live 12.0.1 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3T | A clump of controllers
Soundcloud
Ableton Certified Trainer

loophead

Post by loophead » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:52 pm

Yes I feel you are missing something.

That would only work if your sample is longer than you need. If it is the length that you need than the clip will revolve at its length, regardless of unlocked clip envelopes. The hole you cut will move around inside the clip with each revolution. I have had to add silence in an editor. Therefore my creative flow stops.

Each of these three functions has deeper issues which is what makes them so hateful. :?

See Ableton Live is so good and evrything else is so bad I have to rethink the other applications non-intuative GUI. Is'nt this why we are so happy that they have added VST's !
Last edited by loophead on Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.