Weird DVD Drive Problem. Please Help.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hypomixolydian

Weird DVD Drive Problem. Please Help.

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:34 am

Hello,

Could anyone out there shed some light on a weird problem?

For some unknown reason, what used to be my DVD writer is now a CD writer! It won't write DVDs even though it used to. It will only write CDS now.

I have made a few changes, such as changing my hard drive as it was fucked, and changing the power supply. I don't understand why this has happened.

Please help. Thanks.

aleme

Post by aleme » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:07 pm

try this one

boot windows and before the xp logo appears press F8

then go to the device manager

select the drive in DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES

uninstall the drive

reboot

it could also be a defective dvd drive , but check this first

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:12 pm

Thanks for your response aleme.

I tried your advice and different media etc... the trouble is when I place a DVD in the drive it changes status from DVD writer to CD only.
A thought occurred to me. I haven't got Nero installed, but I have it lying around somewhere. I was trying to burn the DVD with just Windows, so would installing Nero solve the problem? Is it because XP can't write DVDs?

Thanks.

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:28 pm

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:Thanks for your response aleme.

I tried your advice and different media etc... the trouble is when I place a DVD in the drive it changes status from DVD writer to CD only.
A thought occurred to me. I haven't got Nero installed, but I have it lying around somewhere. I was trying to burn the DVD with just Windows, so would installing Nero solve the problem? Is it because Windows can't write DVDs?

Thanks.
yeah, i think you need some type of utility, like nti or nero, when you did the fresh install, it didn't load whatever came on your computer when you bought it...

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:34 pm

dcease wrote:
yeah, i think you need some type of utility, like nti or nero, when you did the fresh install, it didn't load whatever came on your computer when you bought it...
Thanks for the response dcease. No writing software was installed at the time I did the fresh install. I'll find Nero and see if that does the trick.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:40 am

DVD/CD drives have a separate laser for each format. sounds like the dvd laser might have died.

does it still read DVDs, like a movie?

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:06 am

adventurepants_ wrote:DVD/CD drives have a separate laser for each format. sounds like the dvd laser might have died.

does it still read DVDs, like a movie?
Yes it does.

spookyrockstar

Post by spookyrockstar » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:47 am

I still have this problem after several drive replacements, and like you it happened after some upgrade. Problem is, even when i removed the upgrade, the problem stayed.

If you do some extensive searching on google you'll find the most common cause to this is power related. I can't remember the exacts, but one of the fixes was to rewire the power cable that runs to that drive. It had diagrams and everything. For me, too much freakin trouble. Other fixes though, were as simple as trying a different cable to power your drive.

I haven't tried the rewire, but still have the problem. Lemme know if you find a solution.

Good luck!