Monome and Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beatpoet

Monome and Ableton

Post by beatpoet » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:39 pm

Thinking of getting a Sixty Four when they come out, it looks pretty much like a 40h, 8x8 button config,. I'd be very interested in finding out if anyone here is using a monome successfully in a live situation with ableton ? As opposed to 5 min you tube demo videos.

If so how ?

Moody

Post by Moody » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:41 pm

+1
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

divonic

Post by divonic » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:54 pm

yes.

I have a 40h (which I use along with a behringer bcf2000) and I have created a Live set (for performing live, once I get a laptop around christmas) but I have used for a number of months attached to my desktop computer.

basically you can assign each button on the monome to trigger a clip in session mode. If you are using live 6 or higher the led in that button will light up when the clip is playing and goes out when it stops.

I'm using the program Chuck (rather than max) and have it set up so the bottom row swithces between "grids". so I have 8 8x7 grids assigned across 64+ track columns (and a fader and knobs on the bcf assigned to each track column on 8 programs) it is basically set up so that each grid represents one song (which I have broken up into at least 8 parts) I have used each column on the monome for one (or sometimes more loops) and the buttons below the top are variations on or parts of the above loop I can then trigger the variations manually or with follow actions.

Bong Sau

Post by Bong Sau » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:59 pm

I've been slowly trying to fine tune a set-up incorporating Steve Duda's Molar VST and my 40h. It's nothing too complicated at the moment and basically comprises of 3 'turntable' tracks, an FX/Loops track and a MIDI track for Molar.

Molar makes it incredibly easy to create loops on the fly, edit different versions for fills and variations and then 'meta-sequence' those different loops together. So far i've just stuck with loading up my own loops and then layering them over the turntable tracks in a pretty standard DJ type way. This alone is a lot of fun without even getting as far as using Molar to capture audio from a 'deck' and then twisting that up, or recording Molar's output to an audio track for additional FX mangling etc.

I'm hoping to pick up a 2nd hand Machinedrum in the new year which will enable me to have a set that is more focussed on jamming together original content. I doubt I will be able to afford a MD-UW but am intending to utilize Molar's audio capture function to resample the MD for resequencing etc.