Migrating From the MPC to Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Migrating From the MPC to Live

Post by starving student » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:07 pm

i know there's lots of talk about the drumracks feature going on and I've done my best to read as much as I can, but I've got some basic questions.

1. how do you guys deal with the swing?

2. how many drum racks can you load up into Live at one time?

3. when you chop a sample and send it to one 'sampler' instead of a drumrack are you then still able to rearrange the slices and efect each slice differently

4. does Live 7 come with tutorials on using the slicer/drumrack extensively?

5. what happens when you freeze a drumrack, is it just like freezing a track in live 6 or???

wanna say thanks in advance i'm pretty excited about this version of live i just need to figure somethings out before i make the order.

Illum

Post by Illum » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:07 pm

Keep your mpc. Sequencing on the mp and drumracks are like peanut butter and jelly.
illumeaudio.com
myspace/illiacsound

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:12 pm

Illum wrote:Keep your mpc. Sequencing on the mp and drumracks are like peanut butter and jelly.
hey thanks, no way i'm getting rid of the mp :) i'm just trying to get a similiar workflow in Live, you wouldn't happen to know any of the answers to my Questions would ya and btw what is the process you use with your mpc and Live

Illum

Post by Illum » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:01 pm

1.I sequence all my midi with the mpc so I use it's swing. Ableton's works fine too though.

2.1 per track but you can load as many as your computer can handle.

3.Yes. it just loads the slices to a midi clip, then each slice into it's own sampler instance within a drumrack. you can drop individual fx on each pad, or use sends within the drumrack.

4.Don't know. haven't looked yet.

5. Yup. Even cooler is dropping fx onto the pads of sliced samples then freezing and flattening. It then plays as a midi clip but with all your stepped slices effected!! Kinda like a destructive version of dblue glitch. You can of course choose not to freeze and flatten and tweak them in realtime.

My workflow is using the mpc (w/ jj os) as the brain and ableton as a glorified sound module/ fx box. all my samples live in ableton now. The mpc is set up as master with around 10 midi tracks, as is ableton. Each track has it's own discreet midi channel.

I know it sounds quite obvious and vague but it's been a revelation for me!

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:26 am

man I can't thank you enough I think i'm almost grasping the potential of all of this, last question if you're doing all of the sequencing on the Mp are you having any issues with things going smoothly in terms of the way the Mpc builds songs, like are you just starting songs in the mp and finishing them in Live or are you doing the complete sequencing, and also converting sequences to songs in the mpc as well, and are you able to use the MPCs mute functions with live also?

I've got the jjos also.

thank you thank you thank you

Illum

Post by Illum » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:45 am

No issues whatsoever. I don't use song mode too much but it works the same way with ableton. I try to sequence as much as I can in the mp so I can just arm and record it in. Mutes work exactly the same as well as next/ simultaneous sequence, transport and bar/ beat locate.
illumeaudio.com
myspace/illiacsound

DJDJ

Re: Migrating From the MPC to Live

Post by DJDJ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:39 am

starving student wrote:i

1. how do you guys deal with the swing?

just need to figure somethings out before i make the order.

to answer your question, I quantize twice: once to get all my notes lined up on the grid, and then once again as a percentage of 16th note triplets to apply some "swing". For example, if I quantize my notes to 33% of a 16th note triplet, they're going to be 33% of the way between a normal 16th and a tripleted 16th. The resulting sound is swung. Best way I've found to get things tight but swinging.

As far as drum racks go, why not download the demo and check it for yourself?

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:52 am

yeah i'm going to go on and buy it right now, i'm already a live 6 user and the 119 upgrade is too good to pass up.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:25 am

did i say one more thing :) , Illum how are you syncing your mpcs to Live, I'm assuming the mpc is the master, are you using midiclock or mtc and did you have to do any special delay work arounds or is it just working for you?

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:04 pm

bump for all the students in the world

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:23 am

whats the best sync method for Live 7 and the mp?

Illum

Post by Illum » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:04 am

You should run a search. There was a thread about this not too long ago.

Everybody's different. I use clock. I don't use the external sync in ableton because it has to think about it a bit too hard and chokes up. I just set the mpc's bpm the same as abletons and trigger clips/ loops.
illumeaudio.com
myspace/illiacsound

minimal

Post by minimal » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:09 am

for me live as master and mpc slaved to midi clock with some ms of delay compensation in the preferences works OK

m:o

Post by m:o » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:18 am

minimal wrote:for me live as master and mpc slaved to midi clock with some ms of delay compensation in the preferences works OK
same here AND if you slave Live to an external clock you loose the PDC inside Live.

orgul

Post by orgul » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:06 am

Illum wrote:1.I sequence all my midi with the mpc so I use it's swing. Ableton's works fine too though.

2.1 per track but you can load as many as your computer can handle.

3.Yes. it just loads the slices to a midi clip, then each slice into it's own sampler instance within a drumrack. you can drop individual fx on each pad, or use sends within the drumrack.

4.Don't know. haven't looked yet.

5. Yup. Even cooler is dropping fx onto the pads of sliced samples then freezing and flattening. It then plays as a midi clip but with all your stepped slices effected!! Kinda like a destructive version of dblue glitch. You can of course choose not to freeze and flatten and tweak them in realtime.

My workflow is using the mpc (w/ jj os) as the brain and ableton as a glorified sound module/ fx box. all my samples live in ableton now. The mpc is set up as master with around 10 midi tracks, as is ableton. Each track has it's own discreet midi channel.

I know it sounds quite obvious and vague but it's been a revelation for me!
I have been using a very similar workflow for the past. Right now I am thinking about getting the mpd 24 and giving the mpc 1000 some rest. I don' t know It just bothers me to havev this box in front of me that I am just using for loop sequencing...