cpu usage with ableton 7 on a mac book with 2gig.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
michelle

cpu usage with ableton 7 on a mac book with 2gig.

Post by michelle » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:37 am

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: i have a brand new mac book with 2gig of kingsten ram which i put in correctly. the mac came with leopard already on. i installed live 6 then just installed 7 (the free download). with both i am experiencing bad clicks and pops. even if i take away any external things like a cheap sound card, headphone jack etc that could be causing it. i think i have narrowed it down to the cpu usage, its chewing up A LOT. this shouldnt be the case on a brand new macbook with 2gig??? i only have ableton on there with no other programs like logig or vsts etc? what can i do??

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:46 am

First thing I would do is to check to see if Live is causing the problem or some other program.
The old school method would be to get to a command line/shell/whatever Apple calls it and run "top". Should show your top CPU eaters.
Maybe if you don't like top, Apple has some GUI way to see what's running on the system and what resources the programs are taking?

GUY SMILEY

Re: cpu usage with ableton 7 on a mac book with 2gig.

Post by GUY SMILEY » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:15 am

michelle wrote::cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: i have a brand new mac book with 2gig of kingsten ram which i put in correctly. the mac came with leopard already on. i installed live 6 then just installed 7 (the free download). with both i am experiencing bad clicks and pops. even if i take away any external things like a cheap sound card, headphone jack etc that could be causing it. i think i have narrowed it down to the cpu usage, its chewing up A LOT. this shouldnt be the case on a brand new macbook with 2gig??? i only have ableton on there with no other programs like logig or vsts etc? what can i do??
I don't have a mac,, but from friends who have etc, you should be able to run at least 8 tracks with loads of vst and vst instruments without any problems - for example..
My PC with old Core Duo (i.e not core 2 duo) 1.6Ghz processors and 2 GB RAM runs at about 4% when idle, and rarely exceeds 60% for what I do i.e.up to 16 tracks two or three vst's on each, and 5 channels of sends and returns. (and mac and PC preformance can't be that different)

has the operating system recognised the ram correctly ? (go to 'about this mac' and check) what soundcard are you using ? this is often the cause ? what latency setting ? what sample rate and what plug-in buffer size (all found in the preferences dialogue) what 'test scenario' are you using ? have you got the dual processor switch in the CPU preferences checked ? could be a firewire bus problem - what devices do you have connnected ? there are so many variables you'll have to give a bit more information to get any useful feedback - have you tried using the search function for the soundcard you're using to see if others have probems ?
Live wouldn't have got to where it is as a DAW if it couldn't run on a computer as well specced as yours ?? sounds like there is another problem. do you have any other programmes running at the same time ?

michelle

Post by michelle » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:04 pm

the ram is reconized. 2 gig and 2.16 ghz. the buffer size is up as far as it can go (2048 samples). in/out sample rate is 44100. im using no other programs. have ruled out any external hardware. cant find which sound card my mac has. im using about 17 midi channels but you would think this would still be ok. :x :cry: could it be to do with installing the ram after the op system already being on there. kinks in leopard maybe. my computer sure is struggling with the program.

jean_pierre

Post by jean_pierre » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:48 pm

leopard does not have any known issues recognizing RAM, if after install your machine booted and didn't beep loudly screaming at you - it is likely recognized and in use. you can install RAM at any point, before/after (but not during :0)) an operating system install.

GUY SMILEY had the right idea - to help in diagnosing this, launch Activity Monitor from the Utilities folder. set the 'Show' popup list to 'All Processes' and sort descending by CPU use. reproduce the problem in Live and watch to see what processes are near to the top of the list - you might need to shrink the Live window to have the Activity Monitor visible, or if the problem is sustained, you could just switch over to the Activity Monitor while Live is playing. report back what the leading 3-5 processes are and we might be able to better help.

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:32 pm

michelle wrote:the ram is reconized. 2 gig and 2.16 ghz. the buffer size is up as far as it can go (2048 samples). in/out sample rate is 44100. im using no other programs. have ruled out any external hardware. cant find which sound card my mac has. im using about 17 midi channels but you would think this would still be ok. :x :cry: could it be to do with installing the ram after the op system already being on there. kinks in leopard maybe. my computer sure is struggling with the program.
sounds like a real wind-up, you have my sympathies. Have you tried emailing ableton support. They've been really helpful and responsive on problems I've had in the past ?
support@ableton.com

membrain

use Activity Monitor

Post by membrain » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:40 pm

applications/utilities/activity monitor

use this program to see what's running on your computer, there's no way that your machine should be acting like that.

Have you got a lot of widgets installed, they take up memory and cpu just being there.
Still you'dhave to have a ton of them loaded.
Live 7
15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.5 Leopard
Intel C2D,2.4 GHz,2 GB RAM
Novation X-Station, Korg T-2, BDJ-3000, Ms Pinky vinyl.

callwaitin

Clicks and pops.

Post by callwaitin » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:00 pm

Your post is fairly old, so maybe you have everything figured out now, but just in case no one passed this on to you.....

Be sure to always turn "internet connect" off while running Live. Made a major difference for me.