the ongoing books thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
v00d00ppl

the ongoing books thread

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:22 pm

So what recent books have you bought and loved?

My last two purchases were :

Tom Ford (this is a 20 lb book with Tom Ford's design portfolio since the beginning all the way up until 2004). So far i use this book as a design inspiration when i am trying to draw in illustrator and photoshop. There is some decent commentary to go through so if you get the chance to check it out. Plus it went on sale from $125 down to $55 at my local book store. A hell of a deal.

The Reggae Scrapbook: This book is also a good find. It just came out recently and its a photo scrapbook collected by big American reggae fans "Roger Steffens" and "Peter Simon's". Its not just pictures but they have stickers and replicas of letters, flyers, 45s to look at. The book also comes with a dvd with interviews from the wailers, luciano, etc. The commentary is well detailed. So far I like this purchase too.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:26 pm

is our children reading?

(look closely at Bush's book.)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:36 pm

hahhaahhaha

i smell photoshopping
layering
croping of image and rotating and layering it again. if that was real all the democrats would go bananas....ba ba anas-"gwen stefani"
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:04 pm

What is the pic? Broken link.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:14 pm

sparklepuff try using firefox it worked fine there for me...what browser are you using?

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:22 pm

v00d00ppl wrote:sparklepuff try using firefox it worked fine there for me...what browser are you using?
I use firefox. :(
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

99reese

Post by 99reese » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:30 pm

Tone Deft wrote:is our children reading?

(look closely at Bush's book.)
that would be a very, er suspiciously, well-done photoshopping job..It does have to be tough getting caught at all the wrong moments though.
I'd say it was at the very beginning of the reading, before he had a chance to flip it, but it looks like they're at least half way through. Huh, maybe they skipped all the boring reading for Bush's sake

:cry:

This one would be much easier to photoshop-

http://aspirinab.weblog.com.pt/bush_binoculars.jpg

I, for one, find it pretty believable w/o the photoshopping. Ahh, enough politics
Last edited by 99reese on Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

99reese

Post by 99reese » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:38 pm

Really, the whole Bush thing feels like a dead horse, as much as I wish that horse would have gotten back up at some point. I feel bad for him, but worse for our country because of him

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:52 pm

Recently loved : the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons. Mind blowing space opera with souped-up action, much oblique criticism of the catholic church, and hypothesizing about the nature of space, time, culture, and ecology.

Just began (again) : Godel, Escher, and Bach. A thick book about some parallels between the work of a mathematician, a graphic artist, and a composer. Attempts to explain a theory of the origin of consciousness grounded in 'strange loops' and inherent meaning in even random collections of symbols. (According to the introduction). Also features delightful vignettes with the main characters of Achilles and the Tortoise, who are always in some predicament meant to illustrate whatever subject the chapter is about (these are the only part I have actually read so far, and are extremely funny, if you're a dork).

minimal

Post by minimal » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:55 pm

i am reading "This Is Your Brain on Music" by Daniel J Levitin, it's about how our brain works to process music, how music works on the brain, not too scientifically written so even without deep scientifical knowledge about how the brain works the book is overall understandable, and the author is really "super partes", when he writes about a theory he always illustrate the couterpart, it keeps the things "democratic" so to say.

thanks v00d00ppl for the Reggae Scrapbook, gonna buy it soon, I am very thirsty of books in this period!

Another hint: DUB, by Michael Veal. He is musicologist and in this book he focus on the technical aspects of studio work in jamaica, expecially in the roots era, there are several dubs pretty deeply analyzed, very nice if you can dig the tunes in your collection and listen to them along with the analysis.

Mehalic

Post by Mehalic » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:14 pm

minimal wrote:i am reading "This Is Your Brain on Music" by Daniel J Levitin, it's about how our brain works to process music, how music works on the brain, not too scientifically written so even without deep scientifical knowledge about how the brain works the book is overall understandable, and the author is really "super partes", when he writes about a theory he always illustrate the couterpart, it keeps the things "democratic" so to say.
I'm in the midst of reading this book too! To me, at least , it's a very interesting book - just to try and understand what and how music is to the brain and some of the crazy findings they talk about with respect to this!

Those books that chrysalis33rpm are reading sound very good indeed - right up my ally!!
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:22 pm

^^^sounds quite interesting...there will never be enough time!