Bassline - disappears on my tiny computer speakers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
belmiro

Bassline - disappears on my tiny computer speakers

Post by belmiro » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:30 pm

My latest track sounds great on my monitors, great in my car, great on my hi fi...but...on my tiny computer speakers the bassline is non existant.

I tried tiny boosts further up the frequency spectrum but to no avail.

I want to get the bass to register on those speakers because then I know the tune will sound great on anything...any recomendations or tips...by the way, I dont want to change the bass...

Thanks
Apple iMac i7 8GB RAM/Ableton Live 8/Logic Pro 9/Apogee Duet/Novation Remote SL49 Compact/Akai MPD24/Adam A5x Monitors/Novation Bass Station/Waldorf PPG Wave/Fender Stratocaster.

Budh

Post by Budh » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:57 pm

Laptop speaker are very cheap usualy...
On my MBP, I think I dont get anything below 120Hz
So if your bass is Real Fat, you simply wont get anything...

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:13 pm

yeah, don't bother too much.
a deep low bass just does not work on laptop speakers.

sure one can make music that "works" on every mobile phone speaker of the planet, but it is interesting to note ( and not surprising ) that this kind of overcompressed, ultra optimized music is painful to listen to on better equipment.

listen for example to "music" by madonna. works for sure on every speaker of the planet but has no reall bass, no air, does not breath at all and her voice is located right behind the midrange speaker... i like the composition but cannot listen to this kind of production....

if your bass is LOW keep it like this.

R.

belmiro

Post by belmiro » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:38 pm

Hey thanks... you know what, you are so right.

I just played it on my mates super expensive hi fi and it sounded great...lovely bass extension.

I will take your advice and leave it as it is.

Cheers

bel
Apple iMac i7 8GB RAM/Ableton Live 8/Logic Pro 9/Apogee Duet/Novation Remote SL49 Compact/Akai MPD24/Adam A5x Monitors/Novation Bass Station/Waldorf PPG Wave/Fender Stratocaster.

dango

Post by dango » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:22 pm

here is a solution for you.

waves 'maxxbass'
http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=327

minimal

Re: Bassline - disappears on my tiny computer speakers

Post by minimal » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:09 pm

belmiro wrote:My latest track sounds great on my monitors, great in my car, great on my hi fi...but...on my tiny computer speakers the bassline is non existant.

I tried tiny boosts further up the frequency spectrum but to no avail.

I want to get the bass to register on those speakers because then I know the tune will sound great on anything...any recomendations or tips...by the way, I dont want to change the bass...

Thanks
call me idiot but i listen to my tracks on purpose thru the laptop speakers, to check it it still kind of grooves without bass 8O

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:12 pm

a lot of bass i hear in music these days usually has a second layer of a more 'thunk'/muted but harmonically rich sound to go over it, i guess that top layer cuts thru on less bass friendly speakers and helps maintain the groove

popslut

Post by popslut » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:20 pm

dango wrote:here is a solution for you.

waves 'maxxbass'
Dreadful.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:21 pm

waves 'maxxbass'
I don't think you'll hear the effects of that plugin on laptop speakers at all
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:27 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:

waves 'maxxbass'
Why not? That's partly what it's for... adding harmonics above the fundamental that trick you into hearing bass on small speakers. I don't use it myself but it's a well known technique.
Image Image

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:48 pm

polyslax wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:

waves 'maxxbass'
Why not? That's partly what it's for... adding harmonics above the fundamental that trick you into hearing bass on small speakers. I don't use it myself but it's a well known technique.
" When these harmonics are combined, it creates the effect of lower, deeper frequencies"

that doesn't sound like it'll work to me. from my experience it seems to just make things really sub boomy.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:51 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
polyslax wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote: I don't think you'll hear the effects of that plugin on laptop speakers at all
" When these harmonics are combined, it creates the effect of lower, deeper frequencies"

that doesn't sound like it'll work to me. from my experience it seems to just make things really sub boomy.
learning moderation is key.

i picked up using Waves Rbass on kickdrums from a chris lake video, doesnt work for everything but for those more cleaner sounds which need beefing up, added in the right freq's at the right amount, it does wonders.

i can see that working in other areas. the secret is to not actually try and hear an effect, but try try and leave it just at the point it has the desired result.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:23 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:
polyslax wrote: Why not? That's partly what it's for... adding harmonics above the fundamental that trick you into hearing bass on small speakers. I don't use it myself but it's a well known technique.

learning moderation is key.

i picked up using Waves Rbass on kickdrums from a chris lake video, doesnt work for everything but for those more cleaner sounds which need beefing up, added in the right freq's at the right amount, it does wonders.

i can see that working in other areas. the secret is to not actually try and hear an effect, but try try and leave it just at the point it has the desired result.
yeah it's a very useful plug for adding boom, but I can't imagine that will help the dude who can't hear is bass on laptop speakers.

the dude on laptop speakers, I'm thinking either leave it the way it is or add a little bit of gain (vintage warmer, saturators analog setting) sometimes that can help. but if it's a really low sine wave that can't be heard at all sometimes thats ok.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:34 pm

turn the bass up to 11. :?

dango

Post by dango » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:50 pm

johnisfaster, that is actually what that plugin is mainly used for. making low end more audible on small speakers systems. that is what the pros use when recording mainstream albums. they use it so the songs sound good on ALL systems, big and small. i have a video of a pro engineer talking about the plugs he uses and this one he swears by. i will find the link and post it. also watch the movie on wave's site about it