tape sync tones to sync mc-202 (download)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

tape sync tones to sync mc-202 (download)

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:23 am

http://www.mediafire.com/?8vdagn4zbqp this file will tape sync the 202 at any tempo between 81-143bpm. just drop it into a set and route the audio to your 202's tape input.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
someone started a thread on their troubles with their mc-202 but it's getting neglected so I figured I'd start one with a new topic title.

http://www.elektron-users.com/modules/w ... 28&lid=681

I found a single cycle file there that is designed to sync a 202 at 100bpm. messed around for quite a while and realised if I stick it in simpler/looped/note C3 polyphony set to 1 and not retriggering with release all the way out then I can get the 202 to sync to a live set at 100bpm. through reading I've found that the pitch of the wav form has to do with the bpm it will sync to but I haven't figured out how I can change the pitch of the wav and still have the 202 sync.

any ideas? it definetly looks like this is the right track. maybe if we just make single cycle waves of all the common tempo's then we'll be set eh?
Last edited by Johnisfaster on Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:54 am

ok so I've messed around further. if you record the sound of the tape output (which is the tempo tone) into ableton and drop it into simpler it'll work BUT you have to find the PERFECT loop points for the wav. I've managed to get the 100bpm and 130bpm working. I'll keep fiddling and maybe eventually post a pack of tempo wavs for anyone thats interested.

by the way, the only downside to this is that you have to push play on the 202 to make it "jump in" to the music. I've read somewhere that there is a tone for starting the 202 but I haven't figured that out yet. but playing jump rope with the play button works fine if you're quick on the draw especially if you're just going to record a track with it and then you can move the start marker if you need to.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:29 am

Amazing! This reminds me of how Mortin Subotnick used recordings of sine waves as an LFO modulation source. Good luck to you and Elemental to getting the 202 to sync to Live.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:08 am

turns out this will totally work, BUT it's a serious pain in the ass to get the wavs exactly right. I've only managed to get 100 and 130bpm to work. I could probably live with 4 or 5 more tempos as I don't tend to venture all over the map.

I'm just hoping someone else can chime in that has more experience to share and maybe more skill with a wav editor to slice perfect wav forms

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:49 am

options-preferences-audio there's a tone generator.

or

run operator with only 1 oscillator on

you can also run 2 instances of Live at once, use the above to control your device from one instance, another instance for your regular tweaking about.

from here

it looks like you just get one loop and pitch shift it, audio plug-in that comes with Live.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:48 am

Tone Deft wrote:options-preferences-audio there's a tone generator.

or

run operator with only 1 oscillator on

you can also run 2 instances of Live at once, use the above to control your device from one instance, another instance for your regular tweaking about.

from here

it looks like you just get one loop and pitch shift it, audio plug-in that comes with Live.
I tried using that file on elektron. it's a very specific kind of wavform I don't think operator would be able to make it. the wav from the elektron site is for 100bpm. you would assume that pitch shifting it would achieve other tempo's but I couldn't get that to work properly at all. the only thing I've got to work is to record the tape output of the 202 and then chop the wavform out but it's very very tedious to get it to slice perfectly.

I have now got 100, 130, and 140 working wavforms. I'll share them at some point if anyone is interested. it's exciting to me though as I don't have to buy anything to sync the 202 up now.

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:28 am

John, I have a bit of experience dealing with synchronizing circuits, if you send me the waveforms I may be able to help recreate other BPM's (maybe start and stop as well)
I cant think of a sig

spiral

Post by spiral » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:34 am

if you want me to record tape sync signals from my mc202 at various bmps
let me know

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:48 am

yes this could be what i'm looking for... since I couldnt get the DIN Sync from the Kenton to work properly.
Will be subscribing to this thread, thanks a lot Johnisfaster. :)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:36 pm

spiral wrote:if you want me to record tape sync signals from my mc202 at various bmps
let me know
I've got a 202 for recording the tape sync tones off. but I couldn't get it to do 135 cause it kept jumping from 134 to 136. if you could get it to do 135 that would be awesome.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:37 pm

Vercengetorex wrote:John, I have a bit of experience dealing with synchronizing circuits, if you send me the waveforms I may be able to help recreate other BPM's (maybe start and stop as well)
the link at the top of this page has a download for 100bpm. did you want other tempo's too or would that be enough to start replicating other bpms?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:18 pm

I just made a great discovery. I thought "why not try putting the wavforms I already have into pitch warp mode and see if that does the trick" and it totally works to a certain extent. if you change tempo (and the pitch of the original wavform) too far then the 202 eventually stops recognizing it. but I have a single wavform at this point that can give me tempo anywhere from 80-144 bpm. trying 79 and the 202 jumbles up it's rhythm, likewise with 145bpm. but this is a great achievement I think.

anyone know of a good file sharing site so I can share the clip?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:31 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/?8vdagn4zbqp

I have another file that'll get us to 154 I think but I have to render that one and zip it and I'm really lazy :)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:41 pm

bump

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:39 am

seriously, did no one find this useful? I'm still tickled pink over it.