what effect first.....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Aamos

what effect first.....

Post by Aamos » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:28 am

let's say y have a drum loop. and y want to add compresion equalizer reverb....is it important that y put the compressor first of something else.... because one thing effects the other..please help on this isseu

Nod

Re: what effect first.....

Post by Nod » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:34 am

Generally compressor first, then eq, then verb. If you place the eq after the compressor it will change the gain of the signal - however there are times, say with a bass heavy signal, that in order to stop the comp going nuts you'll put the eq first. If you place the reverb before the eq or comp both will effect the reverb tail. However you can do it the wrong way round purely for a cool effect - there are no absolute rules)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul00/a ... stions.htm

'he purpose of EQ before a compressor is primarily to tailor the response of the compressor, whereas post-compression EQ is for general tonal shaping and for helping things mix nicely. If you're wanting to EQ in order to help something cut through a mix then you should do it after any compression otherwise the action of the compressor from moment to moment will tend to undermine any cut or boost you apply.'

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:50 am

I agree, the most logical way would be compressor, eq, reverb (or other fx such as delays or modulation), but sometimes you need to eq first before compressing.

the girl next door

Post by the girl next door » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:50 pm

Why would you want to compress something that hasn't yet been EQed ??
I would EQ,Compressor,Reverb..
I have the MD3 (Mastering tool) with my Powercore. and in the chain the EQ comes before Compressor

Nod

Post by Nod » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:13 pm

the girl next door wrote:Why would you want to compress something that hasn't yet been EQed ?? I would EQ,Compressor,Reverb..I have the MD3 (Mastering tool) with my Powercore. and in the chain the EQ comes before Compressor
That's cause it's a mastering plug....not a tracking chain. If you're mastering you're generally always going to put a comp/limiter last as placing an eq after it may well clip the outputs...

laird

Post by laird » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:35 pm

You will get different results putting EQ first then compression versus
compression then EQ

BOTH ARE VALID!

The danger putting EQ after a gain-boosting compressor is clipping (not such an issue in Live).

Lets say you boost the bass on the kick drums with EQ first. Then you compress that: the loud drums will trigger the compressor a lot, which compresses everything (bass, treble, mids). Result = kick drum stays roughly the same, but everything else pulses in and out.

If you compress first, the compressor wont be triggered so much by the kick drums, and you'll get more even compression. Then EQ after, and you get loud drums, without the rest dipping so much.

Using Live's Compressor2, you can use the sideEQ to mess around with what triggers and doesn't trigger the compressor without actually EQing the sound you are compressing. De-essers do this on high frequency bands-- you boost the regions you want to compress the most.

laird

Post by laird » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:49 pm

As for where to put reverb?

Same situation appplies: THERE IS NO RIGHT WAY
just different ways.

Lets say you boost mids before reverb. You'll get more of the mids from your sound getting reverbed.

If you boost mids after reverb, you will be boosting the sound of the reverb, and this can be noiser.

Its more noticeable with distortion-- guitarists know this well, EQing before distortion versus after distortion produces very different sounds... just pick which you want. EQ first = that frequency range will be distorted more.

EQ after = you boost the sound of the distortion. EQing first generally produces more harmonic results.

And reverb before or after compression? Depends. Just realize that reverb before a gain boosting compressor will boost the reverb. You may like that added detail, or you may want to turn down the mix a bit on the reverb.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:47 pm

you don't put compression and EQ on a track just because you have a compressor and an EQ.

use your ears, if it NEEDS compression, use it, if it NEEDS EQ use it, but you don't drive around with your headlights on with the horn held on just because they're on your car.

if it sounds better with EQ before compression or the other way around then that's the way to do it but don't EQ and compress all your tracks, it'll sound like crap. good tunes sound good because of good source material not because you man handled it through the process.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

laird

Post by laird » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:02 pm

haha tonedeft, when I got my first compressor, man I compressed EVERYTHING. And hard.

which was a mistake, but a good learning experience in retrospect.

If you are afraid something is wrong... try it! Do it wrong to the extreme, and then listen. EQ and compress. Listen. Then switch the order of your plguins. It just takes 1 mouse click! Listen.