YOU WARPED THE OTHER ONES FINE! NOW WHY NOT THIS ONE?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
register

YOU WARPED THE OTHER ONES FINE! NOW WHY NOT THIS ONE?

Post by register » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:09 am

... why does this happen? never made a DJ set in live before, having a crack with a tight timescale. warping to beats, it just can't find the tempo for shit.
ass
Tom

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:22 am

once you warp 100 songs it ain't no thing but a chicken wing.

find a short drumbeat you like, loop it.
warp to that drumbeat, you'll know they're tight when the two just blend together transparently. it takes some practice but in the end it's easy. look around for tutorials (tips and tricks sticky) and check www.abletonlivedj.com for more, I think there are some tutorials over there, there's a guide here
http://vinkalmann.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=26
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:56 am

Do some work you lazy bastard...
plus I found that live has a hard time especially with 'digitized' Vinyls...
But as Tondeft said.. "ain't no thing..."
:D

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:02 am

i usually rub a contact mic on my balls, put it thru a delay and call it a show. anyone else?

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

tranqui

Post by tranqui » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:31 am

live is NOT dj-software. get over it. if you want to dj, get a set if digital or analogue decks and a mixer. if you want to dj using a computer, get traktor.

using live for "djing", i.e. playing back pre-warped tracks, is lame beyond measure. sorry, that's my opinion.

why eat tofu if you can get a steak?
just because you dress like a slut doesn't mean you're a slut...
and just because I act like a rapist doesn't mean I'm a rapist.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:50 am

tranqui wrote:live is NOT dj-software. get over it. if you want to dj, get a set if digital or analogue decks and a mixer. if you want to dj using a computer, get traktor.

using live for "djing", i.e. playing back pre-warped tracks, is lame beyond measure. sorry, that's my opinion.

well, people have to start somewhere

to be honest the only times I've used it live I've used it like a glorified DJ set but with the added bonus of cool FX and looping etc

I'm no where near confident - even after using Live since 1.5 - that I can do a totally made up on the spot Live set and not bore the crowd to tears - IMO that's the big danger of Live - you can get so caught up in tangents that it might not actually sound that interesting to people out front

I have always used it mainly for production though

straight DJing is the beginning point, then when he can do that he can start learning more

anyway, for the question, there are plenty of good tips and tricks in the so named section of the forum - look for one by Chris Cowie

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:58 am

tranqui wrote:live is NOT dj-software. get over it. if you want to dj, get a set if digital or analogue decks and a mixer. if you want to dj using a computer, get traktor.

Well, it can be a little boring if all you can imagine doing with it is mixing 2 dance tracks in series for 4 hours...but it opens up all kinds of possiblities of what to be doing in the time which previously you had to be beatmatching.

The instant gratification of mixing with vinyl isnt quite there, and something about turntables feels athletic in a way that the computer doesn't, but I eat stirfried tofu with veggies and rice when that's what I am in the mood for, and a steak and potatoes dinner when that's what I want, too.

Live is a new paradigm with new possibilties and much expanded horizons...part of it is learning to use it in a similar way to the older technologies...and part of it is just new. It's only as "lame" as the user's imagination.

Patch

Post by Patch » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:17 pm

tranqui - you are a fool.

Chenkwee. Yekshemsh.

resonatorman

Post by resonatorman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:36 pm

......cuz I like tofu & I hate steak ':lol:'.
MBP 2.5ghz 4gb + Live 8.2.1 (Suite)

pepezabala

Re: YOU WARPED THE OTHER ONES FINE! NOW WHY NOT THIS ONE?

Post by pepezabala » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:19 pm

register wrote:... why does this happen? never made a DJ set in live before, having a crack with a tight timescale. warping to beats, it just can't find the tempo for shit.
ass
Tom
maybe an odd time signature?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:02 pm

+1, Live DJs are sooo lame.

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:23 pm

Ummmm...this takes the cake as the stupidest thing I've read this week. It IS only Monday though, so there's still plenty of time...
[Guide to Mixing in Arrangement View^][Guide to Warping in Ableton Live^]

vinkalmann

Re: YOU WARPED THE OTHER ONES FINE! NOW WHY NOT THIS ONE?

Post by vinkalmann » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:25 pm

register wrote:... why does this happen? never made a DJ set in live before, having a crack with a tight timescale. warping to beats, it just can't find the tempo for shit.
ass
Tom
Sounds like a warping issue to me. Keep practicing, it will all work itself out over time. Take a look at my warping guide if you think warping is in fact the issue www.vinkalmann.com in the tutorials section.
[Guide to Mixing in Arrangement View^][Guide to Warping in Ableton Live^]

pixelbox

Post by pixelbox » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:31 pm

It really isn't that difficult to find the proper bpm of any track in Live. You just have to have a little rhythm, and MAYBE a basic understanding of time signatures.

Load your track into Live and turn WARP off. Yep, you heard me. Turn it off. Now assign a key on your keyboard to be the tap button for your tempo. Play your track, and tap out the tempo. Do this three times, and write down the tempo you get for each time, rounding to the nearest whole number (so 113.78 will be 114 and 110.23 will be 110, etc.).

Average those numbers, turn warp back on, and use the result to set your song tempo.

Once you get good, you won't have to average, you can just do it with two taps.

If your warps are still off then you definitely are using the wrong time signature.

Oh and yes, Vink's tutorial above is great.

pixelbox

Post by pixelbox » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:34 pm

Tarekith wrote:

+1, Live DJs are sooo lame.
LOL! Don't hate on yourself so much Tarekith! We love you , man!