MIDI lagging when 2 laptops connected together.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
NewSc2

MIDI lagging when 2 laptops connected together.

Post by NewSc2 » Thu May 24, 2007 7:00 am

I use MBP with a Traveler, my mate uses a Sony VIAO with an M-Audio Firewire 410. MIDI out from the Traveler to the MIDI in, and we both sync on Ableton.

After maybe 1 hr. or so our MIDI starts to drift. Is there any solution?

beatpoet

Re: MIDI lagging when 2 laptops connected together.

Post by beatpoet » Thu May 24, 2007 7:48 am

NewSc2 wrote:I use MBP with a Traveler, my mate uses a Sony VIAO with an M-Audio Firewire 410. MIDI out from the Traveler to the MIDI in, and we both sync on Ableton.

After maybe 1 hr. or so our MIDI starts to drift. Is there any solution?
I'm having the same problem with a MOTU ultralite and a M Audio Firewire 1814.

I've been told that word clock would keep both cards in sync. We don't have it on both cards either.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu May 24, 2007 11:23 am

did you adjust midi latency in the preferences????
If not that's it....
go to midi outputs in the 'Master' computer, click on the small arrow to the left...midi latency opens up... turn metronome on for both comps...press play...Adjust the midi latency until both metronomes are synced... :wink:

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Thu May 24, 2007 11:55 am

Tried that, there's still some drift unless the two cards locked with a word clock.

Restarting the live set brings them back in.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu May 24, 2007 11:12 pm

weird... did you try switching a midi cable??? one time I was going out of my mind with the same problem... until I figured that the brand new midi cable I bought today was faulty ....switched a midi cable and that was that...
Another reason for this could be the m-audio :lol: they are notorious for having BAD drivers....
try switching interfaces between the two comps or better yet get a 3rd laptop with a good interface and try to sync them to it....see which one is causing the fuss...

OH... and make the traveler 'master' (not the m-audio of course... although I have used their FW18/14 as a 'master' with no problem in the past).

NewSc2

Post by NewSc2 » Sat May 26, 2007 7:34 am

yeah, having the same problems as beatpoet. It drifts after an hour, and works after hitting stop then start.

we've used several midi cables before, so i'm pretty sure it's not the cable.

LyleUppingham

Push the main play button

Post by LyleUppingham » Sat May 26, 2007 5:54 pm

I believe its the Play Transport button... whatever. It sends a Midi start command, and it should sync things back up. Do that on the master