black macbook owners...quality question.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
iamnotcool

black macbook owners...quality question.

Post by iamnotcool » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:30 am

I've decided on selling my Macbook Pro in favor of a smaller Macbook. Just a question about the black version...is it prone to scratching due to it's matte finish, or does it resist scratching from everyday use? thanks in advance.
15" Macbook Pro C2D, Live 6, Remote Zero SL
Click here for my tunes!

robin

Post by robin » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:45 am

My c2d machine hasn't scratched yet. It's more resilient than the powerbook i had previously.

The macbook isn't that much smaller than the MBP btw. as the lcd bezel is a little wider.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:08 am

Two of my friends bought Black MacBooks...Both of their batteries have died. Both of thier screen hinges creak. Of course they can sort these issues out quickly without any cost to themselves under warranty, but it is interesting to see these issues on their computers when my friend with a white MacBook has had NO issues what so ever!!

I have had my 12' G4 PowerBook for more than 3 years and have had no problems, despite having dropped it several times (although this has caused scratched and dents). So I guesse when I do to upgrade, it'll be to a MacBook Pro, rather than a MacBook.

I'm gonna wait till the end of the year to upgrade, there is a new Mac OS around the corner and a new family of Intel Chips around the corner (as always). Also all this talk of Flash memory booting and LED backlight screens on future Apple Laptops has me inclined to hold out and see what comes in Apples next round of updates.

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:23 am

i`ve a black mackbook, battery died 2 days ago, and now not all the cd/dvd are readed. it`s all the time dirty, i still have my g4 powerbook, feels much more solid under your hands, i will not do the change that you are going to do.

robin

Post by robin » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:36 pm

freshdrumma wrote:i`ve a black mackbook, battery died 2 days ago, and now not all the cd/dvd are readed. it`s all the time dirty, i still have my g4 powerbook, feels much more solid under your hands, i will not do the change that you are going to do.
freshdrumma and jamie G, are these machines core duo or core 2 duo machines?

There's a huge difference in build quality between my c2d machine and the white cd machine my mate has.

btw. Apple have just released an update to possibly address the batery issues...

I still have one of my 12" powerbooks. I do kinda wish that there was a 12" macbook pro.

jesso

Post by jesso » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:12 pm

Have a new black book and a 17inch G4 powerbook.
Way prefer the aluminum case, just for the feel of it. The macbooks are very obviously plastic, although the black one aint as cheap feeling as the white one.
As for durability, just take good care of it and it should be ok.... macbooks are good value for money and great for portibility whilst still being really powerful.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:42 pm

robin wrote: freshdrumma and jamie G, are these machines core duo or core 2 duo machines?

There's a huge difference in build quality between my c2d machine and the white cd machine my mate has.

btw. Apple have just released an update to possibly address the batery issues...

I still have one of my 12" powerbooks. I do kinda wish that there was a 12" macbook pro.
Yeah, I'm comparing a white cd machine with two black c2d machines!

robin

Post by robin » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:03 pm

JamieG wrote: Yeah, I'm comparing a white cd machine with two black c2d machines!
I meant that my c2d machine has zero trouble, my friends c2d black macbook the same....the cd white macbook has had pretty much everything wrong with it (two new logic boards, new drives, new casingx2, new dvdr).

My powerbook had a warped chassis, trackpad issues and a creaking hinge. Apple's qc has always been a little iffy.

Just goes to show how people's experiences differ.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:34 am

My wife just ordered, literally like an hour ago, a black c2d macbook. She was really on the fence about spending the money on it, but I was like PLEASE just get it.

It's going to be all her computer, and I'm sure when it arrives I will be more than a little bit jealous, C2D 2.0GHz. 1GB ram, 120GB hd, ($1200 refurb from the apple store) -

Christ, the things probably going to be faster than my DC G5 but I'm stoked for her, and I'm also stoked for me because it means I will finally be able to take back my powerbook that she jacked from me like 6 months ago!

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:28 am

I have MBP CD and no problems - no whine, no nothing. I guess I was lucky.

If I were you I would wait until une whent he new MBP's come out and the price drops on these current models.

Rumors: multi-touch screen on the 17inch, and a new 12inch with flash memory drive --> uber thin.

I like my 15 inch though.

djmyke

Post by djmyke » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:35 am

steve-o wrote:I have MBP CD and no problems - no whine, no nothing. I guess I was lucky.

If I were you I would wait until une whent he new MBP's come out and the price drops on these current models.

Rumors: multi-touch screen on the 17inch, and a new 12inch with flash memory drive --> uber thin.

I like my 15 inch though.

i got a 15inch mbp core duo last year.. up to now it is still coverd with waranty..

for the past months..

ive experienced

optical drive failure.

2 defective lcd display.... (internal dirt.)

i decided to write a letter of request to apple singapore. (with pics attached)

gess what.. they granted my request..

to replace my current lemon apple..

they will give me a brand new 15 inch core2duo macbook pro glossy ! yahoo =)

lucky me
Last edited by djmyke on Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

live 7. reason 4
maudio fwire 410 axiom 49. fcb1010
taylor 614ce
banshee talkbox

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:36 am

And a black macbook! Luck you indeed!

djmyke

Post by djmyke » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:38 am

steve-o wrote:And a black macbook! Luck you indeed!
oh i havent updated my sig... i already sold my black one for a core duo macbook pro hehe.. now im parting ways with this problematic macbook pro... =)

hello core2duo

live 7. reason 4
maudio fwire 410 axiom 49. fcb1010
taylor 614ce
banshee talkbox

enthawizeguy

Post by enthawizeguy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:50 am

i have a black macbook, with 2gb of ram and 100gb 7200rpm hard drive... id trade it for the macbook pro if your interested.... mines in perfect condition.

Damon_Chambers

Post by Damon_Chambers » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:34 pm

no problems at all on my black macbook. the only thing i dont like is it fingerprints pretty bad on the case, but a damp rag takes care of that pretty quick.