ATTN Parents: How does it effect your music hobby?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Verbal

ATTN Parents: How does it effect your music hobby?

Post by Verbal » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:23 pm

I've been a hobby DJ since 2000 and I'm just starting to get serious about producing. I've spun in a few bars and parties but nothing too special. I've set a couple goals for myself and really want to see if I can reach them.

My daughter is due in about six weeks. I'm just curious how being a parent has effected your music hobby, if at all. :)

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:35 pm

Hi!

My daughter is three years old now... and unfortunately - time for music is sparse. :cry:

It's turning now, though. She can play in her room while I play music. At least for a little while. If I wasn't so tired at night, I could have played some then. But usually I just get stuck in front of Lost or Prison Break or old re-runs of Seinfeld...

But it's all about priorities. If you're getting seroius and can pull some money from your music, maybe you can cut down on your dayjob...?

Good luck with it all. Anyway - having a child beats playing music any day. :D But being able to do both is just bliss!

-M

NorthernMonkey

Re: ATTN Parents: How does it effect your music hobby?

Post by NorthernMonkey » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:46 pm

Verbal wrote:I've been a hobby DJ since 2000 and I'm just starting to get serious about producing. I've spun in a few bars and parties but nothing too special. I've set a couple goals for myself and really want to see if I can reach them.

My daughter is due in about six weeks. I'm just curious how being a parent has effected your music hobby, if at all. :)
When your little girl has kept you up all night cryng and wanting feeding the last thing you'll want to do is go to any bars and parties :wink:

As they get older, get them involved, my little 'uns love messing around with my audio gear.
..?

cannone

Post by cannone » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:03 pm

Great topic!

You'll see....everyone is all about playing classical music to babies b/c of a (flawed) study that showed an increase in IQ. We tried that with my first son and he CRIED AND CRIED. So to drown out his crying (for our sakes) we cranked some trance. He went right to sleep. The louder the better. (My theory...the drums were similar to the maternal heartbeat).

As far as my music.....I basically had to turn it down (headphones, turn the guitar amp off) when they were babies (my 2 sons) so I didn't wake them. But now (they're 4 and 2 yrs) I crank it and they love it. It's actually really fun...my youngest will sit on my lap when I'm mastering a track on Ableton. He thinks it's so fun......

So basically: yeah. It's going to affect it.....but music is a GREAT thing (I think we all agree with that here). Exposure to it early as a child does wonders for brain development and other things (math skills, self confidence, logical thought). It's a great gift you can give your daughter.....you will both have fun with it as she get's older.

Think how cool.....spin her a downtempo mix for naptime.....then you're with her and she gets some great tunes to nap to.

Congrats early. Fatherhood is the best.

Cannon
Live 6. iMac 20'' 2GB PPC. Novation 25SL. Line 6 POD XT. Fender Stratocaster Ultra. M-Audio Trigger Finger and Firewire Solo.

www.myspace.com/cannonturner

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:33 pm

cannone wrote:(My theory...the drums were similar to the maternal heartbeat).
you must stress your woman a lot !!!!

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:41 pm

Having kids pushed everything else to the back burner for me for many years. I don't regret it but I had to become OK with that. Now they are older and I have more time but I ran on 4-5 hours of sleep for the first several years just so I could get some time in with my art.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:51 pm

I have a 2 year old son and another one on the way. I have no time to do music anymore. Maybe at night but by then I'm so tired I can't think straight.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:42 pm

cannone wrote:So to drown out his crying (for our sakes) we cranked some trance. He went right to sleep. The louder the better. (My theory...the drums were similar to the maternal heartbeat).
8O Beautiiful!
I wonder how useful Micky Hart's Music to be Born By is? Music specifically made for playing to babies in the womb, and for birth...pre-natal heartbeat, bass harmonics, sparse percussion....mmm...

I assume that bringing a child in would radically change everything for several years, so my wife and I will (hopefully) not be having kids for several years. Condoms+fertility cycle awareness just doesnt feel 100% to me (its not)....thinking of the IUD....or maybe I should shave my testicles?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:50 pm

I concur. I have a 5 year old, and music production has been slower. You just have to be more disciplined with your time...you can't fart around with crap when it's time for music. Gotto be disciplined about the few hours a week you have left.

Having said that, I don't regret fatherhood for a second. It makes you a much better person, and it teaches you what's important. I dare say that I appreciate music better, and I appreciate the time I have to produce music more, now that I'm a father.

tribewalker

Post by tribewalker » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:04 pm

I have 3 kids, a 7 year old a 5 year old and a 18 month old AND one on the way....

it has definately eaten into my time with the production....yes, but it is worth it, and the best thing to do is get the kids involved when they are old enough to control their own drool....also a schedule for them helps tremendously, as that will at least give you the opportunity for some self time to do the music thing or whatever you feel you need to do. ..this is of course at around a year as a newborn has no care for time and when they want something....well..they are gonna cry...luckily though newborns tend to sleep approximately 18-20 hours a day...

sorry, it has basically effected my music to be a very enjoyable hobby..but thats how i started off with the whole music thing anyways, yes i had delusions of granduere but, everyone does....i mean, it isnt like the edm music scene ISNT a saturated market.....

ya know?
===============
audio engines are going to differ very slightly betwen 200 dollar soft synths

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:12 pm

kennerb wrote:...but I ran on 4-5 hours of sleep for the first several years just so I could get some time in with my art.
I did that for a while. Prioritizing music before work and sleep. I feel better when I create. I also feel better when I get some sleep... :? :wink: :D
tribewalker wrote:luckily though newborns tend to sleep approximately 18-20 hours a day...
Lucky you - that was not the case with my daughter. Not at all...

-M

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:14 pm

A three-year-old and one 6 months old. Having a carreer sure gets difficult at times, but hey, them's the rules, when you have kids, for me at least.

I don't want to be that dad, that's never around. Lord knows previous generations have seen enough of those dads.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:20 pm

Machinate wrote:Lord knows previous generations have seen enough of those dads.
I work REALLY hard to break that cycle in my own family. Right on, my brutha.

tribewalker

Post by tribewalker » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:09 pm

i work hard on that as well. good to see im not the only dad out and about that is balancing family and music...that makes me just feel part of something bigger.....

perhaps we should all collaborate on banging album called "music by dads" yeah....thats the monster energy drink talkin....
===============
audio engines are going to differ very slightly betwen 200 dollar soft synths

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:14 pm

tribewalker wrote:perhaps we should all collaborate on banging album called "music by dads" yeah....thats the monster energy drink talkin....
It'll be a huge seller...#3 on the Adult Contemporary charts, right behind Yanni and John Tesh.