Pure Data

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bgc

Pure Data

Post by bgc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:51 am

Just wondering if anyone is doing anything with Pure Data. I realize I should just go look at the Pd forum, but I thought someone here might have something interesting to say. Thanks.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:02 am

I might have something interesting to say if I had a clue about what you're asking. Link?

bgc

Post by bgc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:47 am

Oops.

http://puredata.info/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_data

A descendant of Max/MSP. It sounds really neat, is in a fairly "developmental" stage, and is FREE. Probably take some time to get comfy with, but I bet you could do some really cool things in the audio/video domain. It has some good network stuff in there as well.

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:32 am

yeah, i've played with it, as a way to make the 40h interface with live. it's good for wierd midi routing an things. what do you want it to do? the big, number one, all time fucker with the program is that there is no way to sync it to something else. you can't take midi clock from another app, or send clock to another app. other than that it's cool.

bgc

Post by bgc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:32 pm

I'm not exactly sure what I want to do with it. Learn some stuff, mostly. I like that it is free and seems to be a modern descendant of Max/MSP, which I don't have the money for. I was thinking I might try to make some audio mangling type of thing, or something that takes audio input, stores it in a buffer, then retrieves it in various ways, possibly randomly, for output. I was thinking of processing guitar in this way.

rsagevik

Post by rsagevik » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:12 pm

Just started trying it out. I didn`t want to shell out for max/MSP until I was sure I could actually use something like this for something good :)
(and since PD is free I`ll stick to that for now..maybe forever who knows..)

I`m thinking of using it to sort of remap/expand my midicontrollers,and maybe try to build some small sequenser thingys.

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:20 pm

bgc wrote:I'm not exactly sure what I want to do with it. Learn some stuff, mostly. I like that it is free and seems to be a modern descendant of Max/MSP, which I don't have the money for. I was thinking I might try to make some audio mangling type of thing, or something that takes audio input, stores it in a buffer, then retrieves it in various ways, possibly randomly, for output. I was thinking of processing guitar in this way.
i'm kind of in the same place. i'm not sure what i want to do, which is a bad way to be, because i think people make most progress when they have a clear goal and study toward achieving it. you learn a lot on the way. mostly i've dabbled with making midi sequencers for the 40h>live that kind of half work. i haven't dabbled so much in the audio side of things (what would be "msp" in max/msp), that's next. i have some ideas that i'm not clever enough to implement.
i don't think it's fair to call pd a descendant of max/msp - i think they were both developed simultaneously by the same group of people and they're both being actively developed, though seperately now.

bgc

Post by bgc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:47 pm

Yes, I agree. Calling it a descendant of Max/MSP was not very accurate. I don't suppose it is nearly as mature as Max/MSP or with such a developed community. I came across this bit of info to share:

http://www.metamute.com/look/article.tp ... ticle=1502

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:58 pm

both are similiar. Learning either will take time. Then you will be able to do pretty much whatever you can think of. I highly reccomend learning one or the other.

In the limited time I spent in max/msp/jitter I have felt my goals become rapidly easier to fulfill. Go for it!

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:04 pm

nebulae wrote:I might have something interesting to say
When?
Drums

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:21 pm

LOFA wrote:In the limited time I spent in max/msp/jitter I have felt my goals become rapidly easier to fulfill. Go for it!
+1. this is exactly how it's panning out for me. has anyone checked out this book? it's free! i haven't read much of it yet cos i can't afford to print it and i hate reading on the screen. there's a download link about halfway down the page.
bgc wrote:I was thinking of processing guitar in this way.
that was what i was thinking of trying next - kind of making a matrix that would route different beat-repeat-style effects to each other through the 40h - 2 pages, one "patcher" matrix and one page of "offset" and "grid size" type controls. the main issues i have are that i don't know what i'm doing, i don't want to get sued by robert henke, and it's a tightrope: there's a fine line between clever and stupid -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuoWZ
vs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyKCwDJ7ZUc

bgc

Post by bgc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:02 pm

No, I have not seen that book. Looks nice, though. Probably worth it. It looks like there is a good Miller Puckette book in draft form on the Pd site as well.

Having a goal is probably important. Unless your goal is to create an environment in which you don't have to have a clear goal.

HugeBear

Post by HugeBear » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:17 am

Another freeish way to do stuff like this would be with http://www.synthedit.com/

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:09 am

HugeBear wrote:Another freeish way to do stuff like this would be with http://www.synthedit.com/
i'd love to get in on that, but it's not for us macfanboys unfortunately :wink:

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:45 am

itook4lefts wrote:yeah, i've played with it, as a way to make the 40h interface with live. it's good for wierd midi routing an things. what do you want it to do? the big, number one, all time fucker with the program is that there is no way to sync it to something else. you can't take midi clock from another app, or send clock to another app. other than that it's cool.
Ofcourse you can. I made a midi clock with PD once and it works fine.