Live 6.0.6b1: MIDI Feedback of fired clips in session

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
itsthejayj

Post by itsthejayj » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:05 pm

Hang on! again don't mean to hi-jack a thread but has some one(hoffman2k) pointed people on the path to understanding midi feedback looping?... dj grobe whats with the sudden change of heart, was realing hoping for you to continue to the push for a new form of midi signals on looping.

see http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55875 for my orginal confusion on midi feedback loop.

All i'm really asking for is a midi indication when the track is CAUGHT in the loop.

Every thing else can stay the same just a midi feedback (may be the number 2) when the track is looping plz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:30 pm

You lost me there. What do you mean with "caught in loop"?
Does that mean a message is sent out when the clip playhead passes the start of a looping region for the first time?

Since you receive a "1", each time a clip plays again. You already have a message to indicate that something is looping.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:00 pm

Sorry itsthejayj, i think for about 1 hour i understand midid loop feedback, and i think i understadn how use....... and think its usefull

After 1 hour , programing and trying see i think wrong !! andi back to my original position and i no move from that...........

MIDI LOOP FEEDBACK, need this feature:

clip stop= 0
clip start play = 126
clip playing = 127
* loop activated but not playing the loop region = 1
* loop playing the loop region = 2
loop disabled and track continue playing....ableton back to 127

*NOTE:
Values 1 and 2 are just sugestion, this 2 values can be any values.

I hoppe soon we have some offical answer about this, i feel we have, ableton fix the thinks very faster : )
I really super happy with that : )

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:02 pm

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:15 pm

Hi, I posted this on another sticky- this is the abridged, beta version report:

I just installed 6."0.6b1" and I have been getting some serious cpu spikes like never before. I believe that they are midi related, but I don't know yet.

The first thing I thouched was my microkontrol's pad, leftmost across, three down.
the parameter is being changed coincides with the green, highlit 1st track. Before it worked fine. Now it blinks uncontrollably and when triggered, and creates cpu jamming spike that are sometimes above 1000%

under the midi screen, here is the coinciding data.

note control______PATH____________NAME____MIN__________MAX
CC 10___________1-audio i Mixer____Speaker on________________

I have tested this on 6.0.1, 6.03, 6.0.5. The only one that does not act in this behavior is 6.3. I never noticed it before in 6.0.1, was because I was too busy with school and work to play.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Will there be an attempt to resolve this issue in the future?

Thanks.

leonard

Post by leonard » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:52 pm

i see, only works if the clip is fired by midi, not if triggered by follow actions.
why is this? surely it would be useful to have clips triggered by follow actions send out the midi too, no?

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:30 am

leonard wrote:i see, only works if the clip is fired by midi, not if triggered by follow actions.
why is this? surely it would be useful to have clips triggered by follow actions send out the midi too, no?
I not understand what you make reference, if you midi learn clip, clip send status playback when its playing...............send that status, if clip its activatred with mouse, with keyboard or with midid signal.

The midi out sended by one clip, can be used for trigger other clip, if you ask about that, yes that can be maded, just need correctc onfiguration midi in out, and midi loopback dirver or something like that.

Not all things on ableton have midi feedback out, just the more important, lke clips, sliders, circular knobs, loop, etc etc

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:07 am

DJ-Grobe, you are absolutely right. the clips do need to be midi mapped individually, i was assuming they would send the midi feedback by default, i.e. without being midi mapped. i see audio clips do it too, they just need a midi assignment. thanks for sheddding light to this for me, as i need to get the clip/loop length of audio clips for my own system.

cheers!! :D

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:43 am

Hey hey hey......not only individually !!

Mapping in this way you recive the status of clip on track playing:

Mapping on thsi way, you can play clips higlighted with singe button (play stop)
And you recive the feedback too : )

Using this way its when the bug apaear, and need aply new fix changing options.txt like Robert Hneke explain in the last post he make on general section of forum.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:02 pm

Haha! How many people have Registry Editor in their Quick Launch!!!!!! :lol: :wink:

Dj Grobe, you're hardcore :D

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:07 pm

I not have on my MAC : )
But have on my windows due i creating hardware versiono f my contrller MONOTOCUHLIVE , based on windows XP emebedded like OS engine : )

Reg tool add lof offun to windows xp jajaj : ) you see now how much hard i are jajaj
Oh and check the bar !!........emule !! installed........ for download the lastest warezed ableton versions jaja :twisted: ...............its a jocke !! lol i have licence :D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:16 pm

You're making a shell version of your software?
Whats the point in that? Does monotouchlive use that much CPU that it needs its own computer?
You should really have a look at max/msp dude :wink:

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:57 pm

Thankyou hoffman2k, but ..........

1- i not plain spend money on the licence for MAX MSP, $495.00

2- i not have the time for learn MAX MSP, its possible can be very easy and usefull, but for now.. no, thanks anyway !

3- machine where i programing the MonoTouchlIve, its PENTIUM III 700mhz, AND RUN ABLETON AT SAME TIME, so not is CPU ISSUE, all work ok : )
NO VST or synths lol.........just basic usage, i use one of my old PC, with low performance, just for stay secure my soft work on low power cpus : )

4- I use ableton on MAC, monotouchlive for now its available for windows, run ableton on mac and monotouch, its possible but its a little complicated.
MAX have for me only that one point really very positive, with MAX can create appz for mac or windows, very faster, and no need port all to very clear C++ AND THEN to xcode under OSX..this point its for MAX +1

5- using monotouchlive on external controller, if something go bad con contoller sofwtare, not affect to ableton.

6- my controller now have custom case, with monitor inside + CPU etc etc, evry portable, more reliable, like i say on point 5

7- my own controller have all i dream (included wirelless comunication with
the mac testing thsi right now) , and nobody can do that to very low cost : )

8- create your own controller have lot of fun and satisfaction : )

I never experience troubles with the software, for me make custom controller, its fun, util, and pleasure : ) .....so why not make?
hoffman2k i know you have devotion for MAX , you show that here on forum, but for now, i have some reasons like you see for build my stand alone controller, and not use MAX......but who know........maybe soon i have some free time and can learn more about MAX, and you can teachme, if you have some free time : )

Best regards.
Last edited by Dj-Grobe on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:02 pm

hoffman2k wrote:You're making a shell version of your software?
Whats the point in that? Does monotouchlive use that much CPU that it needs its own computer?
some people actually wanna get things done!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:13 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:You're making a shell version of your software?
some people actually wanna get things done!
Yeah, in a very convoluted manner.
Though i'm the guy who cant program in this thread, so I'll just shut up.
I'm just trying to learn some things here.
I don't understand shit about math, algebra and programming. Yet max makes sense to me.

From what I can tell from your remarks, programming in code must be much easier to you then max is.
Guess i'll have to make a transition from max to one of those "basic" languages one day.

At least i've mastered "hello world" and "how to make a link collector" so far :wink: