Any 1 understand Midi Feedback on Looping

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
itsthejayj

Any 1 understand Midi Feedback on Looping

Post by itsthejayj » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:28 pm

Hi all, i'm curently just finishing off a A/V plug in for ableton which corrensponse to all functionality in Ableton live 6. I have one last thing to link and thats LOOPING.

Now can any one please explain to me how the midi feedback works on a loop i just don't understant or see a connection with it at all...

What you need to do is assign a midi note to the track your playing, play the track (you get MIDI message :- note on 127) hit the loop button then you get a sequence of midi note on 1!!!?

Now i would understand if you only got midi feedback when in a loop but why do you get them before the loop?

I just don't see the connection of these midi messages!?

Can some one help plz

Jon

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:19 pm

Its very simple:

clip stop= 0
activate clip = 126
clip playing = 127
under loop mode have playing status = 1

If you have external midi contoller, you can use that status 1 for show the loop its activated, (with led, display etc etc) and you know just seconds after start play that clip, in some moment of the tune be looped due loop its enabled.

Its really logical the way how work and its usefull.
Anyway i thinkCAN BE REALLE more usefull if status only change to 1 when loop start and back to 127 when loop end........

The best implemntation for ableton midi feedback loop i think should be this:

clip stop= 0
clip start play = 126
clip playing = 127
* loop activated but not playing the loop region = 1
* loop playing the loop region = 2
loop disabled and track continue playing....ableton back to 127

*NOTE:
Values 1 and 2 are just sugestion, this 2 values can be any values.

This is the correct way to implemnt midi loop feedback and usefull for any aplication, external controller, for shut external things when loop etc etc : )

For now we no have this, this not is a bug, its justy imncomplete implemntation of midi feedback.

Hoppe somebody form ableton read this and implement midi loop feedback on this way, thsi be really usefull for lot of things.
The major trouble of use software its the way to take controll to aplication, ableton have very good controll, but hoppe soon improve more : )
Last edited by Dj-Grobe on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:16 pm

I posted this on whislist:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=407851

And other request too : )

itsthejayj

what about this repeating "1" signal

Post by itsthejayj » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:52 am

Thanks Grobe for the reply yep maybe it is just an uncomplete midi feedback function may be NOT... what puzzles me is the constant repeating of this "1" midi signal as a track plays, it seems to be resent every bar(or something). Moreover if spin the track on to say the middle it will send out multiple "1" signals :- i beleive its makes up for the missed "1" by sending the amount that would have been recieved if the track was started from the beginning - >>like its counting up/down to the LOOP<<

I'm know this by monitoring the midi (using midi monitor for OSX)

But anyway your way of implementing midi feedback would be alot easier!!

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:46 pm

itsthejayj , i dont know about ableton start send 1, when loop start, and stop send 1 when loop end, due i dont know that, i make the request.

Now i understand, this change its not really needed!!!!....... way to detect when track its repeating (loop), and when no, its possible.

Anyway.....like you say, the simple way i sugested make the things more easy : )

Now ableton decide someday if change or no........but now i think its possible ableton never implement this request.
Implementing this, can affect any already cerated midi controller without any good reason,.......well onlye one... just for make the things more easy,.............so i dont think this be implemented, and now think and understand !!! its no really needed, and this create troubles to people already use the actual ableton schema of midi loop feedback.

Think the only way to implement thsi, can be like optional, using Options.txt

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:55 pm

I really dont understadn the midi feedback loopback at thsi moment ableton have.
Sombody can explain, what is the idea of ableton send contsant midi changes when its activated loop mode?

And how can use that?

I really cant understand what is the idea of that chanegs sended.....not understadn the logical.

Can ableton send some oficial repply about this?
About my sugestion?

something please : )

Minutes ago i write its possible detecdt when ableton its on loop, and when its looping etc etc.......now i back to prior status when request, not possible !! with actual way, and really cant understand what is the idea ableton send midi event when loop its ON

itsthejayj

Post by itsthejayj » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:14 pm

see now Dj Grobe you seen my orginal confusion with midiloop feedback.

Hes my understanding and complaints about it...

the midi feedback (1's) are showing that a loop has been activated on that clip. now my confusion lies with the amount(masses) of 1's that get send as soon as you lauch a clip with a loop enabled, r the amount of 1's some how pointing to where the loop is positioned in the track...i hope so.

And this leads me to my complaint and request for functionality could ableton not just send a midi signal (may be the number 2) when the track is CAUGHT in the loop ! would make things so easy for me and not mess anything else up for any midi controllers out their.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:42 pm

Yes 100% right.

The implementation i request, i think its the only thing usefull, actual implementation not usefull, not practical.....no idea what is the idea.

I hoppe ROBERT HENKE can please repply and explain, and confirm or unconfirm if my sugested logic can be applied to loop midi feedback.

LIKE I SAY BEFORE THIS ITS NOT CRITICAL CHANGE, AND IITS EASY TO ADD TO ABLETON
PLEASE ADD USING OPTIONS.TXT

PLEASE !!!

:?:
Last edited by Dj-Grobe on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:22 pm

itsthejayj wrote:And this leads me to my complaint and request for functionality could ableton not just send a midi signal (may be the number 2) when the track is CAUGHT in the loop ! would make things so easy for me and not mess anything else up for any midi controllers out their.
I think this also falls into the categorie of things that are easy to do in a customized max patch, but not necessarilly super easy to implemement in a multi-faceted application. I bet that by the time it is fixed that similiar/parallel methods would be considered.

All these bugs are really helping me work out concepts in max! Thanks :?: :wink:

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:23 am

LOFA wrote:
itsthejayj wrote:And this leads me to my complaint and request for functionality could ableton not just send a midi signal (may be the number 2) when the track is CAUGHT in the loop ! would make things so easy for me and not mess anything else up for any midi controllers out their.
I think this also falls into the categorie of things that are easy to do in a customized max patch, but not necessarilly super easy to implemement in a multi-faceted application. I bet that by the time it is fixed that similiar/parallel methods would be considered.

All these bugs are really helping me work out concepts in max! Thanks :?: :wink:
Easy to do in max patch?

I dont hink that, no waiy to do in max patch or in c++ , its imposible with actuial midi schema reproduce this:

clip stop= 0
clip start play = 126
clip playing = 127
* loop activated but not playing the loop region = 1
* loop playing the loop region = 2
loop disabled and track continue playing....ableton back to 127

If yiou know some way to do explain pleae the logic, because that we are try to find, some logic for use midi loop feedback, for shown when track its playing under loop region, when leave that region, and before play that region.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:56 am

I was simply thinking about how you can interchange stripnote change and change objects to either filter out 0's or eliminate redundant notes. It semms like the change object in particular would be a max equivalent of a good addition. Eh?

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:35 am

Not its possible obtain multiple status for light on led or lcd or any visual, with just status 1 and event change.

Sorry but not its possible, the only thing possible to do its show track have loop enabled, but imposible to show right moment when start loop, or when end loop........APARENTLY IMPOSIBLE!
Last edited by Dj-Grobe on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:04 pm

Dj-Grobe wrote:IMPOSIBLE!
I'll take your word for it captain!

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:13 pm

WRONG WORDS LOFA !!

you should repply.........

YES SR !!

:twisted:

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:17 pm

Hey Lofa, if you know the way, just epxlain how, if not.........just try not be saracastic guy..... i pareciate that.

I apreciate your help if you know how, or help from somebody can epxlain more...

I edited my post and change to APARENTLY IMPOSSIBLE !

That better for you : )