new i-pod headphones

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
theque

new i-pod headphones

Post by theque » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:49 am

my headphones for my nano just busted and need some replacements. i want ear buds or clip ons cause i like to listen to music on my bike. dont want to spend heaps just something a little better than the standard ipod headphones............. so any recommendations would be appreciated beacuse there are about a million different headphones and you cant really listen to them before you buy. thnak for the help.

meekspeaker

Post by meekspeaker » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:27 am

this is probably absolutely no help at all but if I had the dough I'd love these

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.aspx

obviously haven't actually heard what they sound like but the specs and the blurb make them sound delicious

but err, as you said, you don't want to sepnd a lot of money so all rather moot really...
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.41Ghz, 2GB Ram, Ableton Live 8.0.9, Novation Remote 37SL, Novation X-Station 25 - http://www.myspace.com/meekspeaker

"...i didn't mean to call you a c**t i meant to call you a tosser. that was a bit harsh..."

OrsanKart

Post by OrsanKart » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:15 am

i got these for £9 on ebay (brand new), and they are £40 on the apple store..great for walking about the streets...the ebay shop has loads...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sennheiser-CX-300 ... dZViewItem
Had a very respectable post count until abes lost my account..The new me..

Nogi

Post by Nogi » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:18 am

<$0.02>My picks under $100:

Sharp HP-MD33S
Sony MDR-EX90SL
Panasonic RP-HJE70

http://www.audiocubes.com

FWIW, I despised the er6i's. Harsh and temperamental. Avoid them. To my great relief, the pair I had only lasted three days before one side went dead and I replaced them.

Avoid Sony 51's or 71's in white. The cords dissolve after a couple months of your sweat. They sound OK. The ergos on the 81's are strange and they project directly into the center of your head which bothered me.

</$0.02>

OrsanKart

Post by OrsanKart » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:26 am

nice one, thats a great wee site!!
Had a very respectable post count until abes lost my account..The new me..

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:18 pm

What about the Shure E2 ? they are only $99 and are great. :D

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:19 pm

I have Creative EP-630, they are very cheap but sound niiiiiceee

you can read my quick review on them here: http://www.shamis.de/earbuds-rule-my-ipod/

theque

Post by theque » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:48 am

thanks for the help guys, still not sure as i have not worn the canalphones before, and i am the type of person who gets a bit thingy about shoving things in my ears. and the total noise cancellation. i shall keep looking. the audiocubes site is good though

cannone

Sure E 3

Post by cannone » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:40 pm

I'd honestly pay the (slightly) extra bit of cash and step up to the sure E3. Smaller, lighter weight than E2's and sound a lot better.....I use them for mixing as well....really beat over-ear headphones and CRYSTAL sound.

cannon

www.myspace.com/cannonturner
www.myspace.com/blissontap
Live 6. iMac 20'' 2GB PPC. Novation 25SL. Line 6 POD XT. Fender Stratocaster Ultra. M-Audio Trigger Finger and Firewire Solo.

www.myspace.com/cannonturner

hujib

Post by hujib » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:03 pm

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:47 pm

I bought the entry level Shures (E2C's), they cost around 50.00GBP (around a 100 bucks) and thought them disappointing. Clipping and poor bass response (well literally no bass at all). I purchased a pair of Sennheiser MX550's (17.50GBP from dolphinmusic.co.uk) and have found these durable, comfortable and with good sound quality. Much better than the E2C's.

joesapo

Post by joesapo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:03 pm

sennheiser px100

best headphones ever

only $40

not earbuds tho

iridite

Post by iridite » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:55 pm

I've had the Shure E2's (which were very good indeed- the person who said they had little bass did not have them in their ears properly- it's a problem with about 1 in 20 people that they just don't seem to fit correctly), the E3's (which are a fairly big step above the E2's in terms of Bass extension and overal sound quality) and the CX300's.

The CX300's are fantastic value for money and easily match the E2's in terms of quality of drivers although the cable is nowhere near as robust (both manufacturers offer a 2 year warranty though) and are VERY good value. Unfortunately there are liteterally 1000's of bogus and counterfeit pairs floating about both on ebay and Amazon- they cost around £40 RRP in the UK- if you got a pair for any less than £20-ish then they are 99% certain counterfiet- Sennheiser and Shure both offer a testing facility for people who are unsure of the authenticity of their products- it's been discussed in Pro Sound News recently as a big problem for both companies.

The CX300's are probably the best value for money of the 3 but just make sure that you get them from an official supplier (it's pretty easy to check even sellers on Amazon and ebay to see if they are official dealers).

cheers

Jason

rolfski

Post by rolfski » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:29 pm

Shure E3's are highly advisable if you can spend the extra cash.
Having tested quite a few earphones they came out absolutely on top, well worth the investment over the E2's imo.

If you're short on cash, take the Creative EP-630. They sound amazing for the money.

robin

Post by robin » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:39 pm

iridite wrote: The CX300's are fantastic value for money and easily match the E2's in terms of quality of drivers although the cable is nowhere near as robust (both manufacturers offer a 2 year warranty though) and are VERY good value. Unfortunately there are liteterally 1000's of bogus and counterfeit pairs floating about both on ebay and Amazon- they cost around £40 RRP in the UK- if you got a pair for any less than £20-ish then they are 99% certain counterfiet- Sennheiser and Shure both offer a testing facility for people who are unsure of the authenticity of their products- it's been discussed in Pro Sound News recently as a big problem for both companies.
Thanks for that headsup Jason. I was about to buy some CX300 off ebay (I got some from amazon for my girl for xmas and I'm impressed).

Nearly as good as E2cs in quality but without the fiddly fitting (not the shoving in ear part but the threading cable over top of ears part).

When in the ears the sound of the e2cs is really good though.