help with motu ultralite....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
R.J.Dubya

help with motu ultralite....

Post by R.J.Dubya » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:21 am

Hey all ultralite users, just got my hands on one today, and I've got one wee issue with it. I can't figure out how to send the main signal out two pairs of outputs simultaneously. I've got four speakers, and want to send the system output as well as live (and logic) output out through both the mains 1-2, and the 3-4 (analog 1-2). But I can only seem to send out one pair at a time.

Is there a way to have 3-4 sending the same as 1-2? I would think so, for monitoring purposes. With my presonus firebox it was easy to set the main volume going out either or both. I've tried the motu audio setup and mix console, but nothing works.

help a bro out!

cheers,

rjw
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:05 am

Do you need to have both speaker pairs with the same output constantly?

I don't think I've seen an option to mirror outputs besides mirroring the headphones to the desired output.

If every orthodox solution fails, you could try routing your audio to both with Soundflower or JackOS.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:09 am

using Live's routing instead of the sound card's you should be able to create a distribution chain that does anything you want

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:32 am

rbmonosylabik wrote:Do you need to have both speaker pairs with the same output constantly?
Yes, I'd like to have both pairs of speakers always with the same output, and have the option to turn either pair off. This is how I had it setup with my firebox and it worked great. I've got my speakers in the middle of the room. Monitors facing the desk, and tall speakers underneath facing the other direction to the couch. I like to have the sound going out both.

Would soundflower or JAckOS route sound between applications and the ultralite. I'll check those out.

SweetJesus, yea I could set something up in Live with some bussing to get output to both speakers, but it's easy enough to switch between outputs in Live anyways. To be honest, it's more about getting my system sound to go out both pairs of speakers simultaneously, for itunes etc.

cheers,
rjw
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:43 am

What are you switching with?

I think I've found a workaround without 3rd party software. Let me try it out and I'll post it.

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:23 am

rbmonosylabik wrote:What are you switching with?

I think I've found a workaround without 3rd party software. Let me try it out and I'll post it.
Not sure what you mean exactly, but in Live I just switch the main outs from 1-2 to 3-4 right now. And for the system outs, I open the motu audio setup and switch the default stereo output between main 1-2 and analog 1-2. But I can only have one at a time.

I'n pouring through the manual and looking on the website. I can't imagine that it's impossible to send output to two pairs of speakers simultaneously without needing third-party workarounds, but I'm stumped.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:27 pm

Hmmm, I think the only way to do this would be in Live to be honest, at least the easiest way. I can't think of a way to do it with just the motu software at least. Maybe set up Live so the crossfader feeds both outs, that way you can have the signal going to one or the other pair, or both at once with a single control?

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:51 pm

I think JackOS/soundflower is the most usable option for this. Still, you'll need an external volume control for outs 3 and 4.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:29 pm

in motu software

route Bus 1 to output 1 and 2

route Bus 2 to output 3 and 4

that should do it no?

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:57 pm

Appreciate the input guys.

sweetjesus- as far as I can see, the cuemix software only routes inputs to outputs. so you can have different combinations of inputs going to different outputs, but I don't think you can route the main outs to also go out 3-4, which is what I want. Unless you know of a way to send you system sound, and live to bus 1 and bus 2 of the cuemix software?

rbm - Yes, I do have an external volume control for outs 3-4, as that's going to a stereo amp/reciever and to passive speakers. The mains are going to active speakers so I need main volume control for that. I downloaded JackOS, I'll see if i can make sense of it. You think it'll let me route everything to two outputs simultaneously?

Something I really miss from the firebox is that you could use the system volume buttons for the main outs. So I didn't have to get up and go around the other side of my desk to adjust the main volume. Now I do. I think i was spoiled before, so now I'm trying to get that same convienience back.

You'll understand better by seeing it. Looks something like at this page:
(first one at top- glitchrock-buddha of course)

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=405

So I often have sound going out both speakers aither direction.
And see the firebox is around the other side, so now it's a pain adjusting the volume from my desk. Is there no software output volume slider or can you only use the knob on the unit? I've never seen a unit with no output levels in the software mixer before...

cheers,

rjw
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:17 pm

I've only fiddled around with JackOS, but I think it can route an input to two outputs.

And yes, the output volume is hardware only.

segue

Post by segue » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:36 am

Send the master outs to a Bus each, and the bus to 3-4???

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:12 am

segue wrote:Send the master outs to a Bus each, and the bus to 3-4???
Do you know that you can do this? Do you have an ultralite?

Because I don't see a way. Like I said before, it seems that the busses are only used for bussing inputs to outputs. There is no way that I can see to route the outputs between busses.

Man, I got so used d to using all four speakers. Things just got so much more complicated. :?
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston