How do you think does our heroes produce their tracks ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pannik

How do you think does our heroes produce their tracks ?

Post by Pannik » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:47 pm

Hi guys,

what do you think ?

Do artists like Hawtin, Magda, Sasha, Pierce, Väth,....... program their hole tracks with the editors in the sequencers ?

Or do you think, they are using some finished loops, too.

Greetz

Pannik

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:55 pm

i think it depends from artist to artist, but some would be nothing without theyre engineers, vaeth uses ralf hildenbeutel, timo maas uses martin butrich, to name but a few... and without those guys they would not be able to make one decent track. martin butrich being a real studio wizard, check out his finally appearing solo stuff, amazing production skills.

that said, it is a matter of time as well, if you have such a hectic DJ-shedule, then you sometimes only go for a very short time into the studio and build a rough structure / ideas for a track and let the work do others.

i do alot of engineering work for others, and some use loops others not, but i try to work as less as possible with people who use loops, cause i make also my own music and i don't like loops [to me they are uncreative people, no matter how 'creative' they use a loop].

it all depends, in the end of the day it's about selling a track to kids.

so who actually cares?
*** Image GAFM ***

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:58 pm

Dunno, but I'd love to see someone like Aphex's or Snares' studio!!!

Pannik

Post by Pannik » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:28 pm

so you can say, the most of this guys, would be nothing without their producers.

I think that's really unfair, because everyone of us spend a lot of time to make some good tracks.
If some of us had a professional producer, we all would get a record deal,because we are very good with the basics in producing.

To give some procucer the "order" to make any tracks, is embarrassing.

The artists which make the big sets every weekend in front of thousand of peoples, are not able to make some good stuff????

Hahahahahahah!

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:37 pm

id love to see Trentemöller's studio...i know he uses Logic 7 tho

Pannik

Post by Pannik » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:41 pm

I know, Trentemöller produces the most with his laptop.

I would like how Hawtin or Troy Pierce are producing ?

Loops, Samples or programming by mouse ???

Does he arrange the complete song or not ???

Contra

Post by Contra » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:20 pm

hey what about my hero??? Pete Rock!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co__eHlCFJs

classic pat benatar!

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:29 pm

Speedy J just creates loads of loops whenever he gets time to, uses programms like photoshop to mess the sound up and stuff like that,

Then he loads them into ableton Live and jams tracks out, records everything he does and then cuts and spices the good bits together.

He never sequences or arranges his tracks.

Interesting.

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:32 pm

sometimes i think some of them are using the same song over and over again and just changing some of the sounds

every single Aphrodite track anyone?

jedeye

Post by jedeye » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:45 pm

yep, i know what you mean with aphrodite. I sometimes use speedy j's technique. it works

hat

Post by hat » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:54 pm

The more I produce, the more I realize it's really not rocket science. Just find your voice, your identity and run with it. I remember hearing Amon Tobin's Supermodified (I was just starting out myself when that came out) and wondering, "how the f***?", amazed, daunted, overwhelmed, etc, the beats, the sounds, how it was all put together. 5 years later, I realize that what he was doing was not that complicated, nor is anyone else's method. Not to say it isn't good, it's brilliant, but now I have a clearer idea of how to do that if that's what I was after. You just have to do it, and I'll be the first to say that there are more happy accidents than we think. Lots of chances taken to create certain grooves, shift things over on the grid, layer 4 different loops and nudge 2 of the 4 by a 16th and 32nd note and bang, brand new syncopation occurs. Anyways, yeah, let the sounds guide you, that's what they do, these heroes of ours, bleh.

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:17 pm

Shoma wrote:id love to see Trentemöller's studio...i know he uses Logic 7 tho
I read Trentemøller uses Acid Pro 5 on a Windows Laptop and one outboard compressor. Soundwise it's only soft synths.
This impressed me because it once again shows how far truely creative people can get with rather little equipment. In my experience "our heroes" often don't give a fuck about new stuff; I know some who have been using the same 4 or 5 pieces of kit (hard or soft) for years and couldn't care less about updates, more complex applications that can achieve the same but more easily etc.
Peter Kruder only recently discovered an application called Live.

sgriesedieck

Post by sgriesedieck » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:31 pm

For real. Breakage (a pretty well known DnB producer in the UK) produces everything on an older desktop computer using trackers. I think that can also be helpful, though - you are less distracted by things. It's easy to get caught up in sample or VST collection and be distracted from making music, or to procrastinate until your next paycheck so you can buy the piece of gear you think you "need" to be creative.

ciw

Post by ciw » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:58 pm

Norman Cook famously still works with an atari, I've heard.

That makes sense about not caring about gear. The other aspect to sticking with a simple setup is that you get to know the tools you have really well. Probably it's better to be a master of one device than a jack of many, as it were.

I have been wondering lately whether it's worth getting one of the waves bundles. However, I recently met someone who produces some fantastic sounding hard trance. I asked him what he thought of waves, and he'd never heard of it, just used the builtin eq in fruity.

An analogy springs to mind. I have taken up mountain biking of late. Like production, it always seems to lead to gear lust, wanting more stuff because you reckon it'll make your life easier. If you're not careful you can forget that cycling uphill always hurts anyway, and that riding downhill is always fun (and all the better for having pedalled up it first). :)

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:26 pm

Contra wrote:hey what about my hero??? Pete Rock!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co__eHlCFJs

classic pat benatar!
ain't too many cats can touch petey!
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.