recording automation to clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
elt.net

Post by elt.net » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:38 am

kb420 wrote:I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but here is a way to do it in Session View. It requires an extra midi track and cc# knowledge of the vst or rewire device, but it works.
yes a little bit similar to this technic.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 960#673960

forge wrote:sorry I missed this reply - I will try it again tonight
finally the only benefit is to use layers if needed, the abilitie to use CC0, and the master.

:?

forge

Post by forge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:43 pm

elt.net wrote: finally the only benefit is to use layers if needed
yes but that would eliminate the need for anything else for automation in session, so def worth it

I have no problem recording session automation with MIDI yoke, I just want better ways!!
:D

mekon

Post by mekon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:25 am

+1
and I would like it introduced by Wednesday pls :)
OK just +1 then
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz - lots of ModCan modular - and a talent for making a racket

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:19 pm

+++

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:55 pm

forge wrote:
elt.net wrote:weird...
i uploaded the last version working well here.

0- use the "automat_with_CtrlMiOut.als" file.
1- verify you have the correct midi preference (automat_with_CtrlMiOut-midi_pref.png).
2- the Remote track midi out has to be IAC 1 (or YOKE 1).
3- the Automation track midi out has to be IAC 2 (or YOKE 2).
4- assign your UC33 controllers to the CtrlMiOut. (Fader 1 -> Control 1, etc.)

now when you move UC33, the sliders of the CtrlMiOut GUI AND the controllers of live GUI are moving.
and also if you move the sliders of the CtrlMiOut GUI, the controllers of live GUI are moving too.
sorry I missed this reply - I will try it again tonight
Forge: did you try this? I can't seem to get it working. It doesn't move Live's faders....

Is the link you've posted still the correct version?
elt.net wrote:3- assign the parameters of Live you want to control (Volume, Pan, Send, etc) with the "Controls" panel of the CtrlMiOut GUI.
This part doesn't seem to do anything. I can click the little number in the controls section but my selected volume fader doesn't register a midi mapping... :?

As a result I'm only getting the orange dot when automation plays.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:26 am

Tuur wrote:
forge wrote:
elt.net wrote:weird...
i uploaded the last version working well here.

0- use the "automat_with_CtrlMiOut.als" file.
1- verify you have the correct midi preference (automat_with_CtrlMiOut-midi_pref.png).
2- the Remote track midi out has to be IAC 1 (or YOKE 1).
3- the Automation track midi out has to be IAC 2 (or YOKE 2).
4- assign your UC33 controllers to the CtrlMiOut. (Fader 1 -> Control 1, etc.)

now when you move UC33, the sliders of the CtrlMiOut GUI AND the controllers of live GUI are moving.
and also if you move the sliders of the CtrlMiOut GUI, the controllers of live GUI are moving too.
sorry I missed this reply - I will try it again tonight
Forge: did you try this? I can't seem to get it working. It doesn't move Live's faders....

Is the link you've posted still the correct version?
elt.net wrote:3- assign the parameters of Live you want to control (Volume, Pan, Send, etc) with the "Controls" panel of the CtrlMiOut GUI.
This part doesn't seem to do anything. I can click the little number in the controls section but my selected volume fader doesn't register a midi mapping... :?

As a result I'm only getting the orange dot when automation plays.
it was quite unstable and hard to control for me and I haven't had time to look into it further, but really you can record automation with an extra track just by using MIDI yoke, so the main benefit this offered was just the layers, so it would have been cool if it was stable, but sadly it's not for me

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:37 am

forge wrote:it was quite unstable and hard to control for me and I haven't had time to look into it further, but really you can record automation with an extra track just by using MIDI yoke, so the main benefit this offered was just the layers, so it would have been cool if it was stable, but sadly it's not for me
Crap. I'll look into it myself then. I didn't have stability issues with it though...

Does your solution work with audio clips too? What I need is enveloppe to Live/VST control to midi out (so NO orange dot) and no dummy clips!

Right now I can draw enveloppes in my audio clips like there's no tomorrow, but Live will never output midi data from those. I was hoping this VST would be a solution for that.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:47 am

Tuur wrote:
forge wrote:it was quite unstable and hard to control for me and I haven't had time to look into it further, but really you can record automation with an extra track just by using MIDI yoke, so the main benefit this offered was just the layers, so it would have been cool if it was stable, but sadly it's not for me
Crap. I'll look into it myself then. I didn't have stability issues with it though...

Does your solution work with audio clips too? What I need is enveloppe to Live/VST control to midi out (so NO orange dot) and no dummy clips!

Right now I can draw enveloppes in my audio clips like there's no tomorrow, but Live will never output midi data from those. I was hoping this VST would be a solution for that.
I'm not sure I exactly follow what you are trying to do

but on a bit of a tangent - have you tried this LFO plugin: http://vinuesa.club.fr/projet-flou/english/tools.htm

the one called MIDI LFO 3 I think, very cool for controlling Live with automatic envelopes

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:03 am

forge wrote:I'm not sure I exactly follow what you are trying to do
Another try. :)

I want to send out midi data from a single audio clip. So none of that internal relative orange dot Live bollocks, but real data that I can use with external gear.

I was hoping this VST would make me happy because I could:
- draw an enveloppe for one of the VST controls in my audio clip
- start the audio clip and send out the (enveloppe) data to the VST
- transmit midi data from Live because the VST would move a control in Live
- do all kinds of cool stuff with the midi data I receive in MT

Do I make sense now?

Boy sometimes I wish English was my native language...
Last edited by Tuur on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:08 am

+1

forge

Post by forge » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:18 am

Tuur wrote:
forge wrote:I'm not sure I exactly follow what you are trying to do
Another try. :)

I want to send out midi data from a single audio clip. So none of that internal relative orange dot Live bollocks, but real data that I can use with external gear.

I was hoping this VST would make me happy because I could:
- draw an enveloppe for one of the VST controls in my audio clip
- start the audio clip and send out the (enveloppe) data to the VST
- transmit midi data from Live because the VST would move a control in Live
- do all kinds of cool stuff with the midi data I receive in MT

Do I make sense now?

Boy sometimes I wish English was my native language...
but why does it have to be an audio clip?

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:25 am

I'll take that as a 'not possible'. :wink:

I want it because of simplicity. I don't want to make a dummy clip for every audio clip I use. It makes my library cluttered, it creates double the files in my folders and I would need an extra track for every audio track (for every audio clip I would need a midi clip).

Not looking forward to that...

BTW: I'm looking into the link you've posted later. Cheers.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:47 am

Tuur wrote:I'll take that as a 'not possible'. :wink:

I want it because of simplicity. I don't want to make a dummy clip for every audio clip I use. It makes my library cluttered, it creates double the files in my folders and I would need an extra track for every audio track (for every audio clip I would need a midi clip).

Not looking forward to that...

BTW: I'm looking into the link you've posted later. Cheers.
ok - I'm getting confused now - I thought you said it was for external gear? I think I've missed a crucial part somewhere... 8O

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:33 pm

forge wrote:ok - I'm getting confused now - I thought you said it was for external gear? I think I've missed a crucial part somewhere... 8O
I want it into MT for controlling external gear. :)

forge

Post by forge » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:43 pm

MT?