Machinedrum & Monomachine Podcast

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
micah frank

Machinedrum & Monomachine Podcast

Post by micah frank » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:05 pm

A lot of talk has gone on here recently about the MM and MD. For those that aren't familiar with these two AMAZING machines:
www.machinedrum.com
www.monomachine.com

Anyway, there's still some mystery behind them as to how they sound, what you can do with them etc. A lot of people are scared of the MM especially because it does require knowledge and patience to get a palette of sounds from it. I play all my live shows with just these two machines.

If ya wanna check out how (good) these things sound, here's a podcast from a show i did a few weeks ago. This is just the MD and MM (no external effects - MM running as master clock, then some guy compressed the hell out of the mix through a Trident).

http://www.puremagnetik.com/mp3s/Kamoni ... -16-06.mp3
Last edited by micah frank on Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Massi

Post by Massi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:31 pm

Thanks! I`m about to buy MM used so this comes in very handy!

frisbeedisk

Post by frisbeedisk » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:56 pm

Nice One....I love my MD too.. :)

micah frank

Post by micah frank » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:03 pm

Massi wrote:Thanks! I`m about to buy MM used so this comes in very handy!
then you are very lucky! i hope you like to read manuals! and make sure you have it ergonomically placed because you have to tweak the hell out of it! :lol:

No, it's actually pretty intuitve if you have some knowledge of synthesis and can figure out Elektron's abbreviations for the parameters. I'm still trying to figure out the vocal emulation stuff on it.

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:09 pm

this is really good stuff... nice one.

i'd love a MD. if only i had a spare 900 quid and didn't need a new computer...

Massi

Post by Massi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:53 pm

I`m getting it next week. Thinking of hooking it up to my virus c. That`s going to a blast once i know how to program the damn thing. Gonne be good times! Does MM do midi program changes?

micah frank

Post by micah frank » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:51 pm

Massi wrote:I`m getting it next week. Thinking of hooking it up to my virus c. That`s going to a blast once i know how to program the damn thing. Gonne be good times! Does MM do midi program changes?
Yeah, it can send/recieve program changes - but last i checked they were somewhat limiting with the SPP and all. But you should be able to send a prog change to your virus if you're in song mode.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:59 pm

sounds good. i've just got my MM back after 6 months in storage... i've gotta start messing with it again!! love the sounds it has!!
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:56 am

frisbeedisk wrote:Nice One....I love my MD too.. :)
Yes i shaft mine every night
Drums

northernlight

Re: Machinedrum & Monomachine Podcast

Post by northernlight » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:20 am

micah frank wrote:A lot of talk has gone on here recently about the MM and MD. For those that aren't familiar with these two AMAZING machines:
www.machinedrum.com
www.monomachine.com

Anyway, there's still some mystery behind them as to how they sound, what you can do with them etc. A lot of people are scared of the MM especially because it does require knowledge and patience to get a palette of sounds from it. I play all my live shows with just these two machines.

If ya wanna check out how (good) these things sound, here's a podcast from a show i did a few weeks ago. This is just the MD and MM (no external effects - MM running as master clock, then some guy compressed the hell out of the mix through a Trident).

http://www.puremagnetik.com/mp3s/Kamoni ... -16-06.mp3
really cool set 8)

how do you setup the two machines to work together?

one as midi master and then using the sequencers on both units?

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:47 am

At the moment I just use Logic Express, Ableton 5.2 and some software synths. I'm really interested in starting to build up some hardware, but I'm skint! What are the benefits of using these, say over a program like Battery 3.0? Apart from the 'hands on' factor of hardware, do these offer anything else in terms of sound quality etc over software?

Edit: Woah, just checked out the prices of that stuff. Around £800, that's nearly as much as my whole computer.

prospect

Post by prospect » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:36 pm

I miss my MD so much !
I had to sell it to recover from some big financial losses.

When I get some loot I'm getting another one.

roby

Post by roby » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:39 pm

prospect wrote:I miss my MD so much !
I had to sell it to recover from some big financial losses.

When I get some loot I'm getting another one.
i hope you backed up all your kits and stuff.

micah frank

Re: Machinedrum & Monomachine Podcast

Post by micah frank » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:22 am

northernlight wrote: really cool set 8)

how do you setup the two machines to work together?

one as midi master and then using the sequencers on both units?
I'm running the MM as master and each machine has its individual sequencers running. that's it. the transport syncs and then I have to change programs manually on each machine. GOD elektron... Please enable program changes between the two machines!!! then i can stop using my cellphone light to see where the buttons are! (maybe they did in the latest update... have to check that... i should also get a light i guess ;) )