Live synching with decks/cdjs

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
boghi09

Live synching with decks/cdjs

Post by boghi09 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:25 pm

hi was just wondering how you guys go about synching your decks/cdjs with live.Making the ajustments from decks/cdjs is what I'm doing now.. But I'd like to know what controller i can use to make any adjustmenst for any audio played from live? Any tips much appreciated!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:32 pm

I just sync Live manually, highlight the tempo field and use the arrow keys (and SHIFT) to narrow in on the tempo. I have QWERTY keys assigned to fire my clips, so it's easy to reset the "1.1.1" position if need be. If I need o fine tune, it's easiest to just adjust the turntable speed.

It's not hard to do, just takes a little bit of practice.

Funkasaurus

Post by Funkasaurus » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:10 pm

You can nudge each individual track to catch it up with vinyl/cdjs etc by changing the quantization menu to none and clicking the nudge forward/backward buttons in the "clip" section. thi will nudge it a tiny amount therefore making it perfect for syncing individual tracks with an external track. Unfortunatley you cant nudge the session as a whole because when you nudge the single track it'll nudge it out of sync with the session tempo and therefore make it hard to drop other things on top of it without clicking the "revert" button which will cause an audible jump in the sound depending on how far you've had to nudge it. The only major draw back of using Ableotn as a DJ tool in conjunction with decks i think. hope this helps.

Adam @ Ableton

Post by Adam @ Ableton » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:22 pm

Adam Jay Southerland
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

kpa

sync your decks to live beats

Post by kpa » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Hi,

Ive been wondering about this too and this is what i have came up with.

I have live controlled by my 909 midi clock (using EXT IN), so that i set the tempo by the drum machine. So e.g. set it at 135bpm. Now all clips in Live will play synced to the drum beats. Then the first record i play will have to be beatmatched to the drum machine. All tracks after that on the decks will be beatmatched then to the playing tempo.

Some problems arrive because when djing i natuarlly speed up or slow down a bit, so it is taking a bit of practice to get everything in time all the time.

What do you think?? Any suggestions welcome, hope you try it out.

kpa

Funkasaurus

Post by Funkasaurus » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:53 pm

im not sure that would work as most sets i play would naturally build in tempo from around 128 - 134 over the duration of the night. would defo work though with practice if u planned to stay @ the same tempo.

pev

Re: Live synching with decks/cdjs

Post by pev » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:39 pm

boghi09 wrote:hi was just wondering how you guys go about synching your decks/cdjs with live.
You could get something like an A&H Xone:3D or Roland DJ-2000 and use their beat-detection midi-clock output as a sync pulse?

For a low tech approach, have a seperate track in live playing a click track to a separate audio output mixed in to your booth / on-stage monitors and have your DJ beat-match to it.

~Pev