Essential Real-Time Looping Configuration

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
motherbrain5000

Essential Real-Time Looping Configuration

Post by motherbrain5000 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:05 pm

When using Live as a realtime looping station this is a convenient setup:

Creat a track whose input is the external signal. Disarm the track but set the 'Monitor' status to 'ON'. Put various plugins on this track and set a pedal board to turn them on and off. (chorus, delay, etc.). Call this track GUITAR (or whatever).

Now, set up several Tracks that will hold loops. Call them LOOP1, LOOP2, etc. Set the 'Audio From' on each of these tracks to GUITAR (the track that you created above). Hold down CTRL while record enabling each loop track. This will enable them all simaltaneously. TURN the 'Monitor' status of ALL the loop tracks to 'OFF'! set a pedal board or something to stop and start loops in each LOOP track.

This eliminates the need for something to record enable the track each time you want to record. Plus it centralizes your effects. Effect the signal on it's way to the loop (rather than at the loops output). Sound comes out of these LOOP tracks only when the loop is started. The sound of your input is always heard (cause it's the only thing being monitored).

I posted this cause I see a lot of people talking about live looping and record enabling the track each time. As you can see, it's uneccessary.

PLEASE VISIT http://WWW.MARCOSBORN.COM for info about Marc Osborn- NYC area Pianist, Bassist, and Producer.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Thank you for that! :D

KU

Post by KU » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:24 pm

This is a cool setup, and I think it will help turn the light on for many aspiring SOS loopers. However there are reasons that one would want to not have more than one track Rec Enabled at a time. Perhaps you would like to create a B section in scene 2. You need a way to simultaneously start recording on Track 1 Scene 2, and stop/mute Tracks 2,3, and 4 Scene 1.

Now you have to map a single button to launch Track 1, Scene 2 + Stop Clip Track 2, 3, and 4. Lets say you now create clips on Tracks 1+2 Scene 2, and you want to now go back to the A section. Now you have to have a button which triggers Tracks 1, 2, 3, and 4 Scene 1. But what if you only originally recorded clips on Tracks 1, 2, and 3 (not 4) in your A section? Now when you trigger your button which triggers clips in Tracks 1, 2, 3, and 4, you will be recording a clip in Track 4 which you don't necessarily want. Same situation applies if you now go back to the B section - you will be recording new clips on both Track 3 and 4 Scene 2!

I just wanted to illustrate how complicated the footswitch mapping becomes with this setup when you simply want to be able to create A/B sections. It would be much simpler if you were able to map a button which would simultaneously Record Enable Track 1 + Launch Tracks 1-4. You would create a row of buttons like this which differed only in which Track they would Record Enable. You would create another row of buttons for the B section.

Unfortunately I am having problems in that when I use Keystroke mapping to simultaneously Track Record Enable and Launch Clip - it launches the clip in the Global Quantization, but when pressed again, it ends the clip recording out of the Global Quantization (Behaves as if set to NONE)

8O

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:05 am

KU wrote:...when I use Keystroke mapping to simultaneously Track Record Enable and Launch Clip - it launches the clip in the Global Quantization, but when pressed again, it ends the clip recording out of the Global Quantization (Behaves as if set to NONE)
Same thing was happening to me, and I thought maybe there was something I did wrong, or wasn't doing right. Hmmm. There must be a way, because we saw Kid Beyond doing it, right?

KU

Post by KU » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:16 pm

I often see him making at least two different button presses, but check out his Youtube videos, especially the Lennon bus one to get a closer look. Some of his buttons do trigger multiple functions I'm sure.