Time for an overhaul of the UI?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
unklmic

Time for an overhaul of the UI?

Post by unklmic » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:52 am

I know that Live's UI is functional and it works, but isn't it time for an overhaul?

It doesn't have to be that busy, but it is rather 2001. Windows 95 was cool when it came out, but look at those raised buttons now!!

I have just bought a Mac and Logic, but when I load up Live, the visual experience is a bit of a let down. I am not suggesting it copies the look of Logic, or Reason, but how cool would it be if they come up with something fresh for version 7 (WITH PROPER DUAL MONITOR SUPPORT).

And to counter the obvious responses of 'It doesn't matter what it looks like, its the func....blah blah...bl!', you are lying!

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:05 am

Of course it matters what it looks like. But Reason... Now that's so 1998.

Seriously - I like Live's graphical UI. Flat and clean.

-Mikael

minimal

Post by minimal » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:06 am

I might be conservative, but I hope live UI remain like this for many years to come.. it's just so nice, everything is here.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:12 am

signed, there's not much to be improved here

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:33 am

hey, its not only flat and functional, its beautiful :)

To me for example, the synths in logic are unbearably ugly. An orgy of 3D textures and pseudo-metallic buttons: total tasteless overkill.

Live keeps it simple, elegant and modern. Live is WAY more in line with what's happening right now in the design world...
Macbook 2.2ghz, OS 10.5.2, Focusrite Saffire, Microkontrol, Lemur

kronk

Post by kronk » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:47 am

hmm... what does Mr. Henke have to say about this?
Robert Henke wrote:[...] that fuckin bullshit photorealisitc interface bullshit. (watch me hyperventilating here).
:lol:

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:49 am

In a farcical and gawdy interface world of simulated 3d knobs, simulated scratched metal, fake VU meters, simulated wiring, fake lighting reflections, simulated stompboxes, 'glowing' tubes (!),etc, the Live interface is a breath of fresh air.

Simple, functional, effective, and doesn't get in the way of creativity.
Last edited by hambone1 on Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:54 am

I'll quit music the day I'm working with Live and ask myself "is that a button?"

oh, and 3rd party plugs don't count.

emma

Post by emma » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:11 pm

please don't change this wonderful GUI in LIVE, Reason GUI is 1985 ,don't get me wrong ,but I can't understand for what this photorealistic stuff is good for ... :wink:

webslave

Vistual design does not equal UI

Post by webslave » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:32 pm

I do this stuff for a living so I better make it clear for folks here that designing the user interface is not the same as desiging the user interface visuals. I think it's a fair point to want the visual design to be more current - after all music is about trends and if many are going to have live on stage it'll be nice for it to have the right outfit.

In terms of interface, well that's a huge thing and tied into the way the whole programs work. The best applications and website are designed from the user interface backwards, unlike the days where a application was created or hacked together then someone brought in to make it, er, work.

The whole 'skinning' thing is something I know geeks love but 90% of users don't care about. BUT I think it's safe to say folks respond to the visuals of the interface because that's what they can see - it's not what makes the application work or easy to use, it just makes it appealing.

Sooo what kind of visual style did you have in mind?

stewart dean
user experience dude / ableton user

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:37 pm

the hyper emulation of real life inside a virtual enviroment was never a good idea in the first place if you ask me (excluding games and other expierence-like applications ofcourse)..

For instance; I like the look (not the funtionality) of MacOS 9 still better than OSX..
But I guess marketing has also a big part in this..
Because some people will only be convinced if what they see relates to what they know..

Live's GUI is simply the best out there, timeless, whether you like it or not..
Ableton has set a new standard; others are following slowly..

The only thing I like to see updated is the typography..
I did a request for that..
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46503

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:53 pm

I agree with what most have said. There are some user interfaces that really get in the middle of the work instead of helping to the creative workflow. I can think of antares kantos, totally ugly, or the stupid patching of reason.

I think live's the best out there. Simple, clean, minimalistic. You sometimes even forget you're working with it. So nice.
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:56 pm

The interface is still strong. I could do with adding a bit of flexibility though. Dual monitors gets mentioned a lot, that mainly relates to the arrangement view being available on a new panel at the same time as Session.
there has always been a bit of an issue that you cant see the mixer when you are in arrange.
stuff like that needs addressing IMO

and chromey levers, drop shadows and dangly cables everywhere of course ;)

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:58 pm

I think Live would benefit from having the *option* to have the note sequencer in a seperate window like Logic. I know you can enlarge it but I feel something similar to Logic or Cubases would be better. Not that I would want to see the current option removed, as it is good for quickly imputing drum sequences.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:03 pm

Off the top of my head, I'd like to see some kind of pages/choose what parameters you want to see and modify for 3rd party plug ins. I just say so because stuff like this can get confusing and take too much space.