Live 6 controller Question > Recording CC in Session?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Live 6 controller Question > Recording CC in Session?

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:29 pm

can we record assigned CC hardware dials into session clips in Live 6?

For anyone who doesn't know what I mean
  • drop an Auto Filter on a midi track
  • midi assign a hardware controller to the filter cutoff
  • start a clip recording, play a few notes and turn the hardware dial you assigned
  • play back the clip
in Live5 the controller turning doesn't record onto the clip, I think this is a bad omision.

is this fixed in Live 6 ? - can we record assigned hardware controls into clips?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:00 am

bump

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:19 am

no, i don't think you can do that.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:35 am

ah, thats bad .

very bad.

:(

As you might guess I am a loop and itterate kind of guy, to me playing a riff then tweaking the controls was so obvious and intuitive that I assumed Live did it when I bought it. It seemed inconceivable not to. I was amazed when it didn't work.
I still am.

VST (with internal midi learn) can do this in live, but Live devices and effects cant. crazy and sad

this is a point against an upgrade for me. I really thought they would fix this one this time as it was apparently mentioned strongly at camp ableton.

sonsofthehounds

Post by sonsofthehounds » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:50 am

workaround of sorts.....internal midi bus thingmy...

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27882
macbook 2.16 ghz, live 6...studio with gear now gathering dust.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:57 am

yes, involves third party drivers on PC and is less than elegant.

Whenever I use loopback proxy applications I tend to get lots of duplicate data when I dont want it.
you end up with a midi controller sending out of the application through a proxy , back into the application and being routed back to the exact same place it started from.
in the envelope you will see "filter Cutoff" but it has no data, meanwhile CC127 has lots of data.

Like steering a car with peices of string - it seems a jury rigged 3rd party solution to an obvious problem. A problem I seem to remember SJ or Machinate bringing up at Camp Ableton?

I foolishly got my hopes up when they reported back.
silly me.

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:15 pm

a good workaround is to use energyXT to wrap your vstis: then use the learn in ext so live record cc in session (strangely it can record cc) and cc are converted by energyXT into parameters automation. the only hints is that in live, automation are not named.
but I have to agree, it's a SHAME live 6 cant do that. it's also a shame not to have ghost clips.
well instead of thinking videos... even if some features of live 6 are great, one complete year and 100€ just to see that short list...

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:25 pm

About workarounds...
This is so simple it should be possible to do it without another program.
And I was suprised to find out Live does not record the info into clips.
Weird.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

deva

Post by deva » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:06 pm

Angstrom wrote:ah, thats bad .

very bad.

As you might guess I am a loop and itterate kind of guy, to me playing a riff then tweaking the controls was so obvious and intuitive that I assumed Live did it when I bought it. It seemed inconceivable not to. I was amazed when it didn't work.
I still am.

VST (with internal midi learn) can do this in live, but Live devices and effects cant. crazy and sad
Yeah, all the synths I own have their own internal midi learn which is what I use so I did not even realize you could not record cc's into session

So this means the new Sampler will not be able to record controller information into session? That seems crippling.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:16 pm

yes, I would guess so.

I do this too, In fact I have had to make lots of versions of the simpler Ableton Devices purely so I can midi learn them in Session.
I have an EQ4 a Utility, etc - all made just so I can automate them in session.

a bit crazy eh?

it seems to me that if VSTi can manage it then why can't the Ableton devices, grain delay, filters, etc etc?

all that stuff would be much more fun if it was automated.

deva

Post by deva » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:34 pm

that is hard to understand... seems so obvious...

usually it is the incuded stuff that is more integrated and 3rd party stuff less so, not the other way round

Is it confirmed that Live6 is still the same way?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:14 pm

It has been confirmed by a number of Alpha testers that Lice 6 does not record the tweaking of live devices in Session.

This means the tweaking of devices either by midi (assigned controllers are not recorded.)
In Live 5 (and probably L6) turning of dials on Devices in the GUI are not recorded either.

This really cramps my style as when I jam I turn controls as part of the performance and use an expression pedal. None of this is recorded to the session clip
Personally I think this is weak and although many of Live 6's fab features sound very exciting I can't actually become excited about them because of this sour taste in my mouth.

The new ferrari has no steering wheel

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:16 pm

Angstrom wrote:It has been confirmed by a number of Alpha testers that Lice 6 does not record the tweaking of live devices in Session.

This means the tweaking of devices either by midi (assigned controllers are not recorded.)
In Live 5 (and probably L6) turning of dials on Devices in the GUI are not recorded either.

This really cramps my style as when I jam I turn controls as part of the performance and use an expression pedal. None of this is recorded to the session clip
Personally I think this is weak and although many of Live 6's fab features sound very exciting I can't actually become excited about them because of this sour taste in my mouth.

The new ferrari has no steering wheel
i hear you on this one.
there MUST be an easy workaround....
i'll try to figure it out.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:29 pm

It's ironic that the "integrated" Live devices are actually *less* flexible and useful than third party plugins because of this. Dampens my enthusiasm for Sampler considerably.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:41 pm

DOH!! this is a pretty GLARING omission abes.... 8O
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...