how to automate CC's within ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ryansupak

how to automate CC's within ableton

Post by ryansupak » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:18 pm

how it works:

1) start recording on a MIDI track
2) tweak knobs that are assigned to controls in Live
3) Play back the MIDI track, and the knob tweaks itself.

here's a pic of how to set it all up:

http://www.thewayofapilgrim.com/ableton ... mation.png

If anyone figures an elegant hack to send OMNI, or to deal with MIDI notes, please post and let me know...

hth,
rs
Last edited by ryansupak on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:25 pm

This was a "holy crap" moment for me, seeing Live record midi automation in a clip at Ryan's place!

I had always assumed that the reason this feature was missing was because there was a major technical hurdle for the Abletons to overcome to get clips to be able to record any automation.

But NOPE!

There it is, right under our noses, it was sooooo close.

So.........

Why on earth did they leave it out?

I wish they could just slap it in there before we have to pay for a major release next year........

Owell, I'm gonna go bump some threads with links to this very seminal thread (Ryan is a genious) that seems to have gotten lost amongst the "Yo Mama Usin Live" threads.

(Bump)
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:36 pm

Cool stuff. Using a virtual MIDI bus is also a great way to create follow actions for scenes -- send midi messages in a set of follow action enabled regular clips out to the IAC bus, and have those clip trigger scenes.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:45 pm

Hey Ryan, maybe the title should be changed to "How to automate CCs within Clips"
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

hyerstay

Post by hyerstay » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:48 pm

I can't seem to get this going. Can you please provide a bit more detail about how to get it working?

Thanks,

jason

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:04 pm

just tried it here.........no joy either.......
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:47 pm

Confirming that this tip works great with MidiYoke on WinXP. I installed MidiYoke, and then set it up exactly like the diagram/picture showed. Then I finally understood the simple beauty of it...

Live sends out the recorded midi, and then receives it in a loopback internally, which then allows you to record and control the automation in Live. Freakin brilliant tip, mate!

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:15 pm

You can't say "mate" when you're from Dallas.

I mean a "man" or "dude" is clearly called for in this circumstance.

:roll:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:26 pm

Kodama wrote:You can't say "mate" when you're from Dallas.

I mean a "man" or "dude" is clearly called for in this circumstance.

:roll:
:lol: :lol:

Howdy partner.

conny

Post by conny » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:31 pm

This is basicly the same thing as if you would route two midi clips, one with notes and one with CC, to a third midi track where they get recorded together.
But here we have to have some external-internal routing as well.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:33 pm

Well, I was gonna say "pardner", but then I only talk like that on the third tuesday of every month when I ride my horse down to the local saloon to play cards with the other cowboys, shortly before going upstairs to the brothel where I have rough and skanky intercourse with several whores.

And frankly, by mate, I was speaking in the carnal sense. Because this tip literally gave me a woody, and I needed it to be orally relieved.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:34 pm

Conny, does that work for recording CC automation data as well?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:36 pm

The really nice thing about this is that you can now set up all sorts of nice automation clips in your library and then bring them in and out on the fly, even during performance. In fact, you can build layers of automation and create all sorts of crap...Love it!!

conny

Post by conny » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:52 pm

Kodama wrote:Conny, does that work for recording CC automation data as well?
Think so.
Just routed midi from a clip to a midi track and audio to bidule which produced CC to the same track, and both were recorded in the new clip together.

// C(C)
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:53 pm

nebulae wrote: this tip literally gave me a woody, and I needed it to be orally relieved.

Disturbing.

I think what you're looking for is Beat Repeat. The good thing is that you can always set chance to 100%.

8O